Who uses Dinuclear or Trinuclear moly

A recent post about moly by aquariuscsm has me curious...which oils companies are confirmed di or tri moly user?

Valvoline for example has been using moly with their latest formulas...which do they use? What about the other major readily available brands Pennzoil/QS, Castrol, Supertech, etc

Most additive packs are proprietary secrets.
You might be able to figure out one, maybe two different companies, but other than that its doubtful you'll get an entire oil brand spreadsheet with the info.

I'm sure Molakule would know more

I know Mobil 1, Red Line, Amsoil, HPL, LAT, and Driven all use trinuclear MoDTC. Some of HPL's oils use moly carboxylates as well. Additive packages from Lubrizol and Infineum are pretty similar these days and most have moved over to trinuclear MoDTC. I would say many more oils use trinuclear compared to dinuclear.

I would assume most that are the average 60-80ppm are all TN moly, as all the paper says that matches up nicely to 200 DN moly in performance, and all of the oil companies know it and they also try and make their products match industry standards for the most part.

But I would also wager many of the high moly oils ar DN, take Pennzoil for example, they use TN moly in cheap oils at 250ppm but leave the more expensive lineups the same moly but in lower levels? I tend to doubt it, I would wager PYB and HM Pennzoil are DN, but there is no way to tell that I know of.

Last edited:
Does di or tri moly matter if you are looking at ICP results in a typical VOA / UOA ?

My understanding is that the plasma atomises the sample completely, and then measures the signal produced by the moly atoms. More moly atoms produce a stronger signal. It doesn't matter if the signal comes from volume x of di-moly or volume y of tri-moly, as inside the plasma they are all just lone moly atoms.

Sure when you are using moly add by volume in a formulation, tri is better than di because it contains more moly atoms in the organometallic compound, but inside the plasma you are just counting moly atoms and you don't care how they get there. More moly is better and all moly atoms are the same in a ICP.

From BITOG Article by David Newton
Used Oil Analysis .........The spectral analysis is done in a Leeman Labs ICP machine."ICP" refers to "inductively coupled plasma" and is the preferred method.....essentially, radio frequency waves are used to excite the atoms of argon gas to a state of plasma at 10,000 deg F. The sample mixture is then introduced into the plasma, and the elements burn completely with energy signatures unique to each element.

burla…..are you still using redline in your hemi? I assume they use old school DN? I don't have the hemi tick, but am thinking on using the thicker 5w20 redline...

Originally Posted by earthbound
burla…..are you still using redline in your hemi? I assume they use old school DN? I don't have the hemi tick, but am thinking on using the thicker 5w20 redline...

Red Line uses trinuclear MoDTC according to their chemist in a conversation I had with him earlier this year.

MPT is another 100% PAO/Ester boutique (like LAT or HPL) that uses DN based on their doses of 1200-1500ppm Moly content.

Originally Posted by NYSteve
MPT is another 100% PAO/Ester boutique (like LAT or HPL) that uses DN based on their doses of 1200-1500ppm Moly content.

Just because it's a very high concentration doesn't mean it's dinuclear. HPL and LAT are both trinuclear. The 1000+ppm concentration adds anti-wear characteristics on top of friction reduction.

Originally Posted by earthbound

Yes, 5w30 has effectively ended my hemi tick, and personally I had good luck with 5w20 redline but many hemi ticks respond better to 5w30. Very oddly, I tried 10w30 and my engine ticked on it. The same holds true for the 6.4 that most hemi ticks respond better to 5w40 redline then 0w40 or 10w40, go figure that. A large sample size for the 5.7 backs up what I said, and a smaller sample size (3 trucks) with the 6.4 really hints to that.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
Originally Posted by NYSteve

Just because it's a very high concentration doesn't mean it's dinuclear. HPL and LAT are both trinuclear. The 1000+ppm concentration adds anti-wear characteristics on top of friction reduction.

Thanks for the clarification. Is MPT trinuclear as well?

1692107925999.jpg

Back