I want a Challenger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by madRiver
They definitely are an acquired taste, not my cup of tea but at the same time look pretty cool especially in black with black wheels.

With respect to they are not fast. I rarely see older men who typically drive them actually go fast. I think they enjoy them as daily drivers is and don't care about stupid specs and made up in head races against Mustangs and even worst girly SUVs.

Probably should get the V6, if one doesn't care about Japanese appliances hanging with them. Saves on fuel, gets the same looks.

Besides...why must an old man drive one? I was driving stuff like that in my early 20's. It's a young man's toy! Then I grew up, bought an estate in the country, and now use SUV's. Enjoy that stuff while you're young! It saves you a midlife crisis later.

My Charger is actually more roomy than my previous 2012 Mazda CX-9...kids have more leg room in the back as do I in the front. SUVs are nice but nothing beats our Toyota Sienna for day to day family roaming around...can park it anywhere and those sliding doors allow kids to get out effortlessly. For me personally, I would never buy a V6 Charger/Challenger/Mustang/Camaro. Go big or go home when it comes to that. I enjoyed my 2000 Trans Am I had in my early 20s and considered a muscle car in 2012 when I bought my 2012 CX-9. Considered a 6.4 Hemi back in 2012, but just wasn't enough for me to go that route again. My father in law is a die hard Ford guy...Shelby GT 500 KR, Mustang Cobra (these are what he has left). He hasn't admitted it, but I know he likes the Hellcat. The Hellcat is insanely stupid and unnecessary...exactly why I own it. For me, if I was getting a V6 there are a lot more reliable choices. OP, get what makes you happiest and aligns best financially.

Originally Posted by mbacfp
My Charger is actually more roomy than my previous 2012 Mazda CX-9...kids have more leg room in the back as do I in the front. SUVs are nice but nothing beats our Toyota Sienna for day to day family roaming around...can park it anywhere and those sliding doors allow kids to get out effortlessly. For me personally, I would never buy a V6 Charger/Challenger/Mustang/Camaro. Go big or go home when it comes to that. I enjoyed my 2000 Trans Am I had in my early 20s and considered a muscle car in 2012 when I bought my 2012 CX-9. Considered a 6.4 Hemi back in 2012, but just wasn't enough for me to go that route again. My father in law is a die hard Ford guy...Shelby GT 500 KR, Mustang Cobra (these are what he has left). He hasn't admitted it, but I know he likes the Hellcat. The Hellcat is insanely stupid and unnecessary...exactly why I own it. For me, if I was getting a V6 there are a lot more reliable choices. OP, get what makes you happiest and aligns best financially.

Exactly, but a V6 mustang = a 5.7L Challenger, was my point. I find that very unappealing, from the standpoint of a Challenger customer. Get the 6.1, 6.4, or SC engine, or don't mess with it at all. Base/lower mid-level model vehicles always leave you lacking after the initial high of the purchase wears off.

*My reason for an SUV is offroadability, not capacity. Most people I know buy them for that reason unless they have familes, which I don't, although I've loaned my CX5 to my girlfriend once and she found it very useful even with her daughter in tow, size/capacity just isn't there in the midsize and smaller SUV's. You have to get into the Expedition/Excursion/ Suburban area, IMO

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by mbacfp

Exactly, but a V6 mustang = a 5.7L Challenger, was my point. I find that very unappealing, from the standpoint of a Challenger customer. Get the 6.1, 6.4, or SC engine, or don't mess with it at all. Base/lower mid-level model vehicles always leave you lacking after the initial high of the purchase wears off.

*My reason for an SUV is offroadability, not capacity. Most people I know buy them for that reason unless they have familes, which I don't, although I've loaned my CX5 to my girlfriend once and she found it very useful even with her daughter in tow, size/capacity just isn't there in the midsize and smaller SUV's. You have to get into the Expedition/Excursion/ Suburban area, IMO

My sentiments exactly.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Yes, I do drive to work on a dirt road (well, home, and its dirt and gravel, and very steep, but yeah). Your fathers ghetto Bently would get all torn up on it as well. Aero sadly is a thing, and ground clearance matters, which increases aero.

Look, if you cant afford the fast Challenger, and dont want a v6, get the v8. It's nothing to me. I was just offering you advice on how not to regret it. But please, go ahead and ignore my advice and the advice of literally every person who owns these cars, in your thread. We all must just be trolling you, obviously.

One more time: you have given up, therefore nothing you say matters, especially since you have-reepeatedly-demonstrated that you either did not actually READ the first post, or chose to ignore it in favor of defecating all over the thread. So again...

Stop trolling my thread.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Buy one as an early retirement present.

Seriously considering it. Looks like about $14-16K for a 6-speed R/T.

Go for it, just find a well maintained one with good documentation on maintenance and preferably low miles. Might be worth your while to hunt down a salt free example from outside new England and bonus you get to road trip home with it. All GT and sports cars have quirks and model specific issues, but if you are buying a responsibly driven adult owned example that was maintained and you pay for an inspection you minimize that risk considerably The v8 Challenger, pre independent suspension mustang GT, v8 camaro, C5 Corvette and GTO, 370z/g37 and pre facelift IS/GS350 are all awesome cars worth owning if you can pick one up in good shape with less then 65k miles for $10-15k. What others cars can you get for that? Mitsubishi Mirage, base Nissan Sentra, Chevy Spark. Yeah. Just keep a grand or two to the side for the unexpected.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Buy one as an early retirement present.

I did!!! While not looking for a race.............I know where a V6 Mustang is. Might just find out.................
banana2.gif

A couple weeks before my wife was killed in a crash on her way to work last year, she put this order in with a local Dodge dealership. I had to cancel the order, but it would have been an awesome car. This would have been her daily driver.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by KD0AXS
A couple weeks before my wife was killed in a crash on her way to work last year, she put this order in with a local Dodge dealership. I had to cancel the order, but it would have been an awesome car. This would have been her daily driver.

[Linked Image]

So sorry for your loss.
I think I would've kept it. Any young lady that would order a "Scat Pack" 6 speed is special indeed!!!

Originally Posted by oldhp

[Linked Image]

So sorry for your loss.
I think I would've kept it. Any young lady that would order a "Scat Pack" 6 speed is special indeed!!!

I would have loved to, but it wouldn't have been a great idea to buy a $50K car when I had just gone from 2 incomes to one. I was able to use some insurance money and pay off her Jeep, so I still have that. It's also a 6 speed. I'm the one that taught her to drive a manual and once she learned she loved them.

[Linked Image]

Very sad. Life is fleeting. Also...safety ratings matter. Some deaths it may prevent, some not. Something to consider with any vehicle purchase.
https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/Dodge/challenger-2-door-coupe/2019

The Challenger is the least safe put of the Camaro, Mustang, etc. crowd. Not fun to think about when things go bad, but might be something to consider. The 2015 Challenger, I believe, did get some improvements, but still lags in crashworthiness.

I always select cars based on how hard I can ram them into an immobile barrier

I have to say also, as much as I prefer the Ford 5.0 engine to the Mopar 5.7, I'm pretty jealous of the Tremec transmission in the Chally. Ford really cheaped out in that department on the Mustangs...unless you step up to the GT350.

Yep, there are no guarantees in life. So make the most of it. The wife and I are riding down from Montana through Yellowstone on the way home today. Neither bike would do well slamming into a barrier. So we have done our best to mitigate that possibility by improving our riding skills, and not hampering the bikes with poor choices in basic equipment that would hamper the handling.

Originally Posted by 02SE
Yep, there are no guarantees in life. So make the most of it. The wife and I are riding down from Montana through Yellowstone on the way home today. Neither bike would do well slamming into a barrier. So we have done our best to mitigate that possibility by improving our riding skills, and not hampering the bikes with poor choices in basic equipment that would hamper the handling.

Leather up! Buddy of mine just went down at 80 after hitting a road snake, bike snapped up right, he was pushed over into another car (happened mid corner). He survived and is very lucky. Be safe and enjoy!!! He had his gear on and it paid off big time.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Some people dont care, and that's 100% a personal call (risk/reward analysis is personal of course), but it is something some people would like to consider.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.sacbee.com/latest-news/article230448884.html

Does this "study" take into account the type of driver that normally buys a Challenger?

I mean, people don't buy these cars to drive them like grandmas, so it's to be expected that they are more likely to be involved in high speed crashes which will result in more severe injuries and higher likelihood of death. When you get a lot of power for not a lot of money and put it in the hands of rookies, this is the result.

It's like making a conclusion that military jets are less safe than commercial jets because they're involved in more incidents, without considering the operating conditions.

We've both been riding since we were kids on dirtbikes, we've both roadraced, and we wear full armored roadracing leathers, Arai helmets, Sidi boots, and Held and Dainese gloves. Very well aware of tar snakes.

I recall years ago hitting a nice sweeper ironically in Wyoming near Jackson Hole, that the entire road from shoulder to shoulder and for a couple hundred yards, was covered in the tar they use to fill in cracks. A nice sunny warm day, and it was like hitting glare ice. Kept it upright, but it was what I imagine riding a Rodeo Bull must be like. Some real genius at the Wyoming DOT thought it was a good idea, I'm sure, to slather the road in goo.

Thanks for the well wishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back