Which oil for a 2014 F-150 Ecoboost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to change the oil in my F-150 EcoBoost with 30K miles. I'm considering either the Shell Rotella for Gas trucks or the Valvoline Modern Engine 5w-30. I only drive my truck about 5000 miles a year and usually change the oil once a year. Which of these two oils is better suited for a turbocharged engine.

Go with the cheaper option.

Edit: they'll both be okay for your vehicle. Both are quality oils. Go with the cheaper one.

Last edited:
I went through a lot of different oil analysis and you might want to try Shell Rotella T6 5W30.

The Shell Gas Truck seems to shear too much...

Originally Posted by pharden
Whats RTG?

Radioisotope thermoelectric generator.

Oh wait he probably meant "RGT", Rotella Gas Truck synthetic oil.

I am not a scientist or an engineer...just a guy who was the victim of cam phaser destruction and trying not to let it happen again. Only 2 oils I would consider are T6 5W30 and Amsoil 5W30. Some guys will suggest a 5W40. My research indicates those two will stay within the 5W30 range and the biggest cause of camphaser destruction is viscosity.

The Rotella Gas Truck simply doesnt stay in grade...

Originally Posted by Navi
I went through a lot of different oil analysis and you might want to try Shell Rotella T6 5W30.

Shearing means what? Oils shear I'm sure the designers and manufacturers who make the grade recommendations account for this. Just because of shear is a lame reason for a motor oil recommendation. If shear was not accounted for Ford would recommend 0W16/20 for everything.

Originally Posted by dave1251

Shearing means what? Oils shear I'm sure the designers and manufacturers who make the grade recommendations account for this. Just because of shear is a lame reason for a motor oil recommendation. If shear was not accounted for Ford would recommend 0W16/20 for everything.

Depends on what the designer's goal is.

In NA, the goal is to squeeze every MPG even if it sacrifices a bit of protection because of CAFE. They cannot recommend grades that will affect fuel efficiency.

Now, I'm not saying that the engine will not last a long time on thin oil, however I am sure that a thicker oil will make it last longer.

Edit: another vote for the T6 5w-30. BTW it's SN+ which is recommended for your TGDI.

Last edited:
Castrol Magnetec 5/30.

Look around on this site.
It is the best oil for any Ecoboost.

Originally Posted by KJSmith
Castrol Magnetec 5/30.

BEST
What makes its the best ?
Lots of Ecoboost raking up hundreds of thousands of miles on other good oils

I have a 2015 Ecoboost van around 100,000 miles. Run hard and about 9,600 lbs always loaded. Nothing but Magnetec 5-30. Changed around 7,500 miles. Good stuff.

Originally Posted by kstanf150
Originally Posted by KJSmith
Castrol Magnetec 5/30.

BEST
What makes its the best ?
Lots of Ecoboost raking up hundreds of thousands of miles on other good oils

Its just an internet opinion.... ignore if you wish.

Lowest wear according to my UOA on my '13 Ecoboost.

Last edited:

The Rotella Gas Truck simply doesnt stay in grade...

Adding a little "Lucas Oil Stabilizer" will fix that problem!
grin2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

With a statement the engine will last longer requires evidence.

It's merely my opinion based on multiple UOAs including mine.

So there is nothing to verify your opinion. Ford made the recommendation after testing which you and I can not replicate do to we just don't have the time or resources with out of the bottle Motorcraft 5W30. If this was not sufficient no doubt another grade would be used. Ford makes other grade recommendations either higher or lower.

So there is nothing to verify your opinion. Ford made the recommendation after testing which you and I can not replicate do to we just don't have the time or resources with out of the bottle Motorcraft 5W30. If this was not sufficient no doubt another grade would be used. Ford makes other grade recommendations either higher or lower.

Why does the same car with the same engine in other countries have heavier oil grade options for better protection in hotter climates?

Again, not saying the thin oil isn't going to protect the engine, but I do believe that some climate needs thicker oil for better protection but manufacturers can't recommend them for the sole reason it would mess their CAFE rating.

I could be wrong, but this is what I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back