eight speed transmission?

Status
Not open for further replies.
does anyone have a new Hyundai santafe with the 8 speed transmission?
I was thinking of trading mine but do not know if they are having any problems.
my six speed has been flawless.

Who builds it? There is a world transmission used in many Mopars among other vehicles that is supposedly the cat's meow for torque converter transmissions in use nowadays.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Who builds it?
I believe it's Hyundai's own in-house transmission.

There is a world transmission used in many Mopars among other vehicles that is supposedly the cat's meow for torque converter transmissions in use nowadays.
That one is a ZF design.

Who builds it?

It's fully developed and patented by Hyundai.

YouTube video

Originally Posted by ernied
does anyone have a new Hyundai santafe with the 8 speed transmission?
I was thinking of trading mine but do not know if they are having any problems.
my six speed has been flawless.

It's brand new. Look for long term test reports by C&D or US News... and besides, you've got 10yr warranty on it....

Last edited:
I am not a fan of the 8 speed transmissions, but they are more fuel economic than an old fashion 3 and 4 choosable transmission like my 92 Bonneville. So if you are not too caring for reliability, but you are all in for fuel mileage, then get the eight speed transmission.

Originally Posted by Bonnelvr92
I am not a fan of the 8 speed transmissions, but they are more fuel economic than an old fashion 3 and 4 choosable transmission like my 92 Bonneville. So if you are not too caring for reliability, but you are all in for fuel mileage, then get the eight speed transmission.

How often do like to post false information? BTW your Bonneville has 3 TSB's for it's transmission alone. This is not a sign of reliability. You alone having a 92 Bonneville is not proof this is reliable transmission.

If your Bonneville was built today, and compared to ZF8 transmission with 200k, ZF8 is still going to outlive it.

Long term transmission durability is a difficult thing to quantify in the pass car world, because there's no good data base other than warranty data which isn't readily available to the consumer. It seems like only the cases like the Ford DCT can reliably be classified as a disaster. Beyond ones like that it's a lot of random opinions.

Who builds it? There is a world transmission used in many Mopars among other vehicles that is supposedly the cat's meow for torque converter transmissions in use nowadays.

That's the ZF 8HP series that's used in FCA and most European cars ranging from a cop car Charger all the way to a Bentley Bentaga/Lambo Urus and the Rolls-Royce Cullinan.

The transmission the OP was wondering about is a Hyundai Powertech unit, traditionally Hyundai used Mitsu trannies and Kia opted for Jatco units from the Mazda connection. Now, Hyundai builds their own.

Seeing the amount of Hyundais in rental car fleets and serving Uber/Lyft duty, they do see quite a bit of abuse. We don't see too many threads about Hyundai gearboxes on the fritz here.

8 speed, 10 speed or even a 20 speed, beats the heck out of the alternative, that is the stinking CVT.

Originally Posted by nthach

That's the ZF 8HP series that's used in FCA and most European cars ranging from a cop car Charger all the way to a Bentley Bentaga/Lambo Urus and the Rolls-Royce Cullinan.

The transmission the OP was wondering about is a Hyundai Powertech unit, traditionally Hyundai used Mitsu trannies and Kia opted for Jatco units from the Mazda connection. Now, Hyundai builds their own.

Seeing the amount of Hyundais in rental car fleets and serving Uber/Lyft duty, they do see quite a bit of abuse. We don't see too many threads about Hyundai gearboxes on the fritz here.

The best move they made was going in house for a tranny. From what I've read it was quite the endeavor (and expensive) with 150+ engineers working FT for 4yrs to design their first tranny the 6sp A6MF1 introduced in '09. I have that in mine and it's an incredibly reliable and versatile tranny still in use today in models. The thing still shifts like the day I bought it. Not many "help my tranny broke" threads on the Kia/Hyundai forums since they dropped the Japanese models.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back