Toyota Techstream software

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought of buying the techstream software to diagnose my Lexus via the ODB2 port.
There are some folks who have experienced issues with Win10 software - they had to go back to Win7 computer to interface the s/w to the ODB2 port.
Any recommendations of where to buy for a Win10 OS.

You'd do well getting a "beater" laptop just to run this. The knockoffs you get on ebay have weird almost-trojan unlockers. Most cables also want a 32 bit driver which means older and cheaper.

That all said, TS is a bunch of fun and very useful for the price. Part of why I chose a brand new Prius over the Hyundai hybrid.

I purchased an eBay knockoff kit (cable and software) for less than $40. Worked great on my modern Windows 10 laptop. No issues using it in a Lexus and a Toyota.

Keep in mind that any Techstream you purchase is probably an outdated version that has been "hacked."

The real Techstream is a subscription-based service. I pay $65 for 48 hours of access.

Originally Posted by Deontologist
I purchased an eBay knockoff kit (cable and software) for less than $40. Worked great on my modern Windows 10 laptop. No issues using it in a Lexus and a Toyota.

Can u posts eBay link?

Originally Posted by The Critic
Keep in mind that any Techstream you purchase is probably an outdated version that has been "hacked."

The real Techstream is a subscription-based service. I pay $65 for 48 hours of access.

And you need a real cable that costs real money. But it is all worth it even for a DIYer.

(a DIYer could start with a OBDLink MX + , pay attention to the 'plus' - not a substitute for Techstream, but does much more than a regular OBD scanner on Yotas)

I have an older i5 Fujitsu with dual HDD, Win 10 on 1 and 7 on the other for TIS 2000 and TIS global, WIS, and a few other OE scan tool apps. Win 10 with VM blows, just more M$ spyware/bloatware trash.

I keep a separate SSD with Win 7 for an old Thinkpad T-420 just for Forscan and Techstream. I also made an ovi file of it that I moved to a Linux laptop (also works on buddy's MacBook). I agree on Win 10. I liked it for a couple of first years, but now it is too heavy and too intrusive.

I thought you had to use XP with the knockoff? Did they upgrade their copy to run under Win7? [Absolutely not tech savvy here, I'm no good with OS.]

Originally Posted by Patrick0525

Can u posts eBay link?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-VCI-Diagnostic-Tool-Cable-Scanner-for-Toyota-Lexus-TIS-Techstream-V13-00-22/263636766121?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2748.l2649

Don't know what people are buying that only works on Windows XP or Windows 7!

Last edited:
I prefer the subscription method on Win10 vs these 32b pirated copies ( I see no reason to have the software at my disposal beyond 48hrs)

Originally Posted by MaximaGuy
I prefer the subscription method on Win10 vs these 32b pirated copies ( I see no reason to have the software at my disposal beyond 48hrs)

Switching between summer and winter tires (and TPMS ID numbers) is obnoxious if one has to pay a rental fee every time.

Don't know what people are buying that only works on Windows XP or Windows 7!

I bought my copy like six years ago. Maybe eight, that is when I got our first Toyota, don't remember now.

Originally Posted by Trav
Generally If it runs on XP it will run on 7 32 bit.

In the defense of M$, they've included a Windows on Windows x64 subsystem to allow most 32-bit applications to run on x64 Windows - that's why you see a SysWOW64 under C:\Windows if you have 64-bit Windows.

I haven't tried with a bootleg Techstream, I was able to install but not run the real Techstream on a Lenovo ThinkPad T420. Apparently, it locks itself to one computer.

I thought people found a way to make techstream work on win10?

I got it up and running in win 7 a long time ago but the laptop crashed. At one point i'll need it for the camry

If they got it to work in Win10 I'd buy a new copy. I am not computer savvy and do not want to learn just so I can use Techstream once or twice a year.

Originally Posted by supton
If they got it to work in Win10 I'd buy a new copy. I am not computer savvy and do not want to learn just so I can use Techstream once or twice a year.

It works. I linked it on the previous page.

Originally Posted by supton

It works. I linked it on the previous page.

Thanks, I'll have to get one of those. And a laptop--the old XP laptop that I was using doesn't have a battery, and I just found out that my 5+ year old Win10 laptop has a battery that lasts about 5 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back