Consealed carry

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in an open carry state. Neither option bothers me. I personally choose to conceal and I carry different weapons in Winter clothes than Summer clothes, although I think the only people who notice someone "printing" are other CCW folks or criminals. I do disagree with needing a permit to to conceal carry though, I shouldn't have to prove that I am a citizen in good standing, they should have to prove that I don't deserve that right anymore. The permit costs 50 bucks in my county and has to be renewed (for another 50) every 5 years. You normally have to get the Sheriff to sign off on it and take a course, I didn't have to do either of those due to exceptions afforded for my occupation.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
Originally Posted by Eddie
I got it. Thanks for the input. I'll keep my BERSA 380 Firestorm hidden. Ed

Well I sure hope so, since you live in Florida and the law REQUIRES it to be hidden. Open carry is illegal.

I've spent almost my entire adult life training in law enforcement tactics, survival tactics, hostage negotiation, psychology of criminal actors, ballistics of projectiles, etc. Add in my decades of experience dealing with criminals and prisoners in all facets of the criminal justice system, and I have come to some conclusions.

1- Carry a gun always, every day.
2- Conceal carry that gun
3- Open carry gives away your tactical advantage, makes you a target, and makes survival much harder, during an already stressful and dangerous event.
4- Sure you can find a thousand open carry activist (its muh rights!!) that want to prance around carrying Smith & Wesson .22LR rifles that look like AR15's while legally "fishing" in Florida. But the fact remains, any decent criminal would wipe the floor with an open carry clown. Brick to the back of the head, take gun. So simple, even your common criminal could do it. Its called an ambush, and criminals are good at it, have practiced it, and its almost impossible to defeat. If you are conceal carrying, you can fain compliance, use confusing disruptive tactics, and counter ambush, with a weapon that they had no idea you had.
Sounds like you're emotionally involved. Do you have evidence to show that open carriers are being targeted in any non powerball type numbers? We can what if all day. Your immense training should be able to offer more than emotions.

Originally Posted by hatt
Originally Posted by Astro14
Your weapon is both valuable and controversial, so by carrying it openly, you make yourself a target, for criminals, for jack wagon show offs, for anti-gun activists, for the ignorant public, and for the police that they will call when they see your (gasp!) gun.

Avoid all that by keeping it concealed.

Open carriers targeted by criminals is so rare as to be meaningless. The other issues would be solved by lots of people open carrying.

I'll agree with you. The number 1 open carry state in the US, Arizona, proved your point for many many years. I don't know if Arizona is still so open carry because the state is in decline on many issues.....
cry.gif

It's unlikely that there is any decisive evidence out there that could quantify if open carry deters a criminal or makes the carrier the first target. Even if the evidence existed then it's even less likely that everyone would agree with how it was arrived at, etc.

So here is my opinion- for me it's concealed only. If John Q. Public notices people open carrying more, then it's fair to assume criminals would as well. I don't want that exposure. Again, my opinion but it would appear if you get caught in a bad situation there are more options if carrying concealed versus open.

I've only been in one situation that may be applicable. It was late at night, after hours, somewhat bad part of town in a body shop. A friend and I were working. An acquaintance of his walked in on us with a revolver waving it around, talking about how he was owed money. I was not carrying, so my best option was to keep as much metal in between this guy and me as possible. Luckily nothing happened. Here's my OPINION-
1- had I open carried the situation likely would have escalated once he saw it on my hip.
2- had I concealed carried I would've had the option to play it like I did, or draw if my friend or myself were threatened (which you could make the case we were).

Originally Posted by bubbatime
You can lead a horse (open carry activist) to water, and they will still die of thirst, and eat the dirt instead.

It shouldn't be that hard to post the dozens/hundreds of news reports about open carry folks getting attacked by criminals. Unless you're argument is purely emotional.

I carry as you would call "open" but I still wear a long t-shirt over my revolver.

When you are a really big dude....unless you have a really small pistol, (3032 Tomcat) you aint gonna "hide" it anywhere!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back