New HOA pres. / VIOC moving fwd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by buster
Our local VIOC stripped a drain plug on my neighbor's BMW, the first and only time he took it there.

On the plus side, they were nice about admitting they messed up and letting him get the car fixed (needed a new oil pan) at a shop of his choice.

That sucks. So do they use the tube method or drain via plug?
Is this a trick question?
They wouldn't have stripped his drain plug if they were doing extraction via dipstick tube.

LOL no sorry I wasn't clear. I thought he said they extract the oil out via tube.

Hooray for the weekly HOA bash!
banana2.gif

Is this a trick question?
They wouldn't have stripped his drain plug if they were doing extraction via dipstick tube.

Put wrench on drain plug at start of work, strip it when attempting to remove it, stop there.

Wow, I'm so glad not having HOA where I live, I can't imagine not be able to change oil on your own car IN YOUR property.....

HOA can also stop you for washing your car?? WTH

Sorry, I'm just thinking about that that and I'm getting angry....

Originally Posted by Jimzz
Originally Posted by wemay
KIA Sportage.

About 2 years ago i posted how i was having an issue with my HOA concerning oil changes. We ended up agreeing to allowing me to do so but texting the President on the day-of so they can come by and see everything was still clean and tidy. Well, the community just voted in a new President and oil changes are now strictly forbidden. I understand the decision because it must be fair across the board and i value my home value more than an oil change.

Then why did you buy in a HOA? I have not seen a single shred of evidence that a HOA keeps home values up. But I do know they can hurt resell and make it harder to find buyers.

Look at home listings. How many proclaim that are HOA free vs how many proclaim they have a HOA? Not having a HOA is now a selling point and is pointed out while a HOA is usually tucked in and almost hidden like a secret. I had to call several realtors when looking at homes to find out and every single time they tried to beat around the bush or used the "yes it does but its not a bad one...".
Maybe in the past perhaps HOAs were loudly proclaimed as a selling point, but not today

The value of our home has gone up drastically since purchase. I guess everywhere is different.

Originally Posted by Duffyjr
KIA Sportage.

About 2 years ago i posted how i was having an issue with my HOA concerning oil changes. We ended up agreeing to allowing me to do so but texting the President on the day-of so they can come by and see everything was still clean and tidy. Well, the community just voted in a new President and oil changes are now strictly forbidden. I understand the decision because it must be fair across the board and i value my home value more than an oil change.

Moving forward, i will be going to the VIOC near my home. Some reasons for this:
a. They perform the service while you sit in the car
b. They use extraction tube rather than draining from the plug
c. I see the employee using qt bottles to fill
d. They have always been neat
e. The one time i had an issue (of the three push pins used to retain the filter porthole cap, only one was retained) that i reported on their survey, a representative called me 30min after i to apologize and offer reimbursement for my purchase of the push pins from AZone. That is professional.
f. The price is reasonable with the coupons i get in the mail and online. A conventional oil change comes out to $30 and i'm in and out in 25 min.

I will be using 10W30 Valvoline Daily Protection moving forward with 3700 oci. The filter is a VO-106.

Times change.

The Santa Fe will keep going to the dealership where i'll take my own Syn since its a turbo.

What would they charge you if you bring your own oil and filter, the Valvoline quick change I use to go to charged $25.

They now charge $40 flat rate if you bring your own oil. I have no issue with Conventional oil in the Sportage.

Our local VIOC stripped a drain plug on my neighbor's BMW, the first and only time he took it there.

On the plus side, they were nice about admitting they messed up and letting him get the car fixed (needed a new oil pan) at a shop of his choice.

They use extraction through the dipstick tube.

They use extraction through the dipstick tube.

Interesting I guess they don't all use that method.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
If I still lived in Davie you could do your oil changes in my garage.

Thanks Mr Nice, that's and awesome thought and much appreciated.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Sorry to hear about the HOA B.S. but it sounds like you have a solid plan. Thank goodness my wife won't live in an HOA. First question she asked before we bought our present home was "are there any association or restrictions?" She's the reason we live in an unincorporated area. Nice girl right from the farm!

She's a KEEPER!!

KIA Sportage.

Then why did you buy in a HOA? I have not seen a single shred of evidence that a HOA keeps home values up. But I do know they can hurt resell and make it harder to find buyers.

Look at home listings. How many proclaim that are HOA free vs how many proclaim they have a HOA? Not having a HOA is now a selling point and is pointed out while a HOA is usually tucked in and almost hidden like a secret. I had to call several realtors when looking at homes to find out and every single time they tried to beat around the bush or used the "yes it does but its not a bad one...".
Maybe in the past perhaps HOAs were loudly proclaimed as a selling point, but not today

The value of our home has gone up drastically since purchase. I guess everywhere is different.

So has mine and many others without HOAs. Correlation does not imply causation.

Originally Posted by jbutch
Wow, I'm so glad not having HOA where I live, I can't imagine not be able to change oil on your own car IN YOUR property.....

HOA can also stop you for washing your car?? WTH

Sorry, I'm just thinking about that that and I'm getting angry....

Yeah, the one I have to deal with has this faux wealth/elitist/formality attitude (and STEEP fines if caught) towards any mechanical work done in your very OWN driveway (which I am responsible for re-paving/sealing!), including even simple wheel changes/rotations, but they do allow washing and waxing (soooo 'kind' of them, right?!).
mad.gif

I try and explain to them that Jay Leno can buy and sell these wannabe billionaire dolts MANY thousands of times over, and HE works on his own cars at times, so PLEASE STOP thinking it is 'trashy' to do so!!
wink.gif

KIA Sportage.

So has mine and many others without HOAs. Correlation does not imply causation.

You are the one who implied that because we bought a home governed by an HOA property values will drop. I just responded with the opposite of that. Not only that, but the ones recently placed on the mkt have sold at above mkt value and asking price. Like i said, must be a location thing because your "Then why did you buy in a HOA?" comment holds no bearing on our situation. It may elsewhere...i don't know.

Originally Posted by Donald
Is this a condo or individual home? Can you do the oil change in a garage?

What is in the bylaws and similar? Rule changes need to be voted on by the HOA owners, not dictated by the President or HOA board.

Now you know why in have in-house counsel on retainer (wife).

If his HOA is anything like the condo I used to live in, almost no one shows up to vote and the board pretty much makes the rules. They weren't bad or malicious; they gave plenty of heads up (usually), allowed for proxy voting, etc. My wife and I always showed up. My neighbor, the one next to him and the one on the corner always complained to me about how the board was making such stupid decisions and that something should be done about it!!!
33.gif

OP, what's the penalty if you change your oil in your driveway? Is it enforceable?

Fines were assessed in my previous condo association and each was considered the same as condo dues and could be held against the owner in a similar fashion. The most fines would out for dog poop, too many cars, and illegal dumpster dumping.

HOA are unconstitutional. Do they pay your taxes? They have no say whatsoever about what you do on your property. People need to start minding their own business. It's ridiculous that people would ever come up with such a concept. I live where you're free to do any car repairs you want, mock illinois all you want for taxes, but our people are free.

Originally Posted by Jetsfan421
HOA are unconstitutional. Do they pay your taxes? They have no say whatsoever about what you do on your property. People need to start minding their own business. It's ridiculous that people would ever come up with such a concept. I live where you're free to do any car repairs you want, mock illinois all you want for taxes, but our people are free.

The Constitution defines what the govt can/can not do to YOU, not what private citizens can/can not do to each other. Private citizens often self impose codes and covenants (CC&R's)..an Elks Lodge or gym membership for example.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Engage stealth mode. Change it in the middle of the night:^D

This is what I used to do when I lived in an apartment. I became a master of working on stuff at night. Until I came home from work one day and saw one of my neighbors changing the head gaskets on his 4.3 S10. He said he asked the office and they really don't care what he did but they just had to have it as a rule for insurance reasons. Neat! However, by then I just bought my house so I would be moving into a garage soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back