Ford going back to Yellow Antifreeze for 2020

Just noticed this chart. Ford is going to yellow antifreeze: WSS-M97B57-A1 or M97B57-A2. Some of the change was made this year and the changes will be complete Jan 1, 2020. This will be instead of the orange coolant which was first used by Ford in 2011. I guess this is a bit different from the original Gold coolant which was WSS-M97B51-A1 and was a yellow color.
laugh.gif

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 382
Last edited:
It has been trickling out. We have it in stock. It is not compatible with the previous gold coolant.

What is real fun is playing the ATF game. Type F, Mercon V, Mercon SP, FNR5 fluid, Chain Type CVT, Premium Fluid (3309/T-IV), Mercon LV, DCT fluid, Mercon ULV.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bdcardinal

What is real fun is playing the ATF game. Type F, Mercon V, Mercon SP, FNR5 fluid, Chain Type CVT, Premium Fluid (3309/T-IV), Mercon LV, DCT fluid, Mercon ULV.

Seems like a great opportunity for a mix up, and a ruined transmission if the wrong fluid is used. I've seen this happen more than once at a number of places including dealers.

Originally Posted by AC1DD

Seems like a great opportunity for a mix up, and a ruined transmission if the wrong fluid is used. I've seen this happen more than once at a number of places including dealers.

Yup, fortunately we have charts and access to the FSM to make sure. Always, always, always use the VIN to verify what the vehicle has before handing out fluid. We also do Mazda so we have all of those to carry and keep track of as well.

Yellow has this description: COOLANT, PHOSPHATED, ORGANIC ADDITIVE TECHNOLOGY (POAT), CONCENTRATE, FOR PASSENGER CAR AND LIGHT TRUCK

Orange was Dex Cool right?

So Ford went from green (traditional) to gold (hybriat OAT G05) to dark green (???) to orange (Dex) and now yellow.

Took them a while to figure out that the Japanese makers had picked a good coolant all along (Asian Red formula which is POAT or PHOAT).

Originally Posted by Reddy45
Yellow has this description: COOLANT, PHOSPHATED, ORGANIC ADDITIVE TECHNOLOGY (POAT), CONCENTRATE, FOR PASSENGER CAR AND LIGHT TRUCK

So Ford went from green (traditional) to gold (hybriat OAT G05) to dark green (???) to orange (Dex) and now yellow.

Took them a while to figure out that the Japanese makers had picked a good coolant all along (Asian Red formula which is POAT or PHOAT).

Yes, orange was basically DexCool. Also not all applications used the dark green coolant, which is the same as Mazda FL-22 but full strength as opposed to the FL-22 only coming 55/45 from Mazda.

Originally Posted by Chris142
This antifreeze color thing is unbelievable! Blur,red,orange pink ..

How about the absolute insanity Chrysler pulled with their coolant colors?

Or the fact it can look orange through the reservoir, but remove the cap and actually look at the fluid to find it's suddenly purple
shocked2.gif

8FD08DD0-E76B-4086-8D2C-41A13761C9A6.jpeg

Last edited:
Imo, Ford has some issues with deciding what coolant they want to use in their vehicles and 'I' wouldn't use them as an example or model for the rest of the industry.

It was thought that thier DexCool (orange) was going to the last change going forward, apparently not. Apparently they've have some issues with heater cores in some thier truck and truck like vehicles. Now they have switched to a "yellow" tinted AF. Which without authoritative information on chemistry means nothing to me. I see the description above which makes it "sound" like it may be similar to current Prestone AF, but I've no seen no authoritative proof. Just some recommendation somewhere that Prestone would/could be ok to use in those type vehicles. And important point here, like all previous FoMoCo Motorcraft recommendation to this point, the newest AF is NOT being back spec'd to older Ford model vehicles. Current Prestone still uses 2eha as an inhibitor.

Considering going forward Ford has decided to go mainly SUV and truck manufacturing, then not surprising to see the new "yellow" tinted AF for those vehicles.

So again, I don't take much from this other than Ford adding yet another layer of confusion to their AF options.

Always, always, always use the VIN to verify what the vehicle has before handing out fluid. We also do Mazda so we have all of those to carry and keep track of as well.

Still NOT reliable information....

You don't know what the last person/tech who worked on it put in it....

I agree with Sayjac that this new Ford coolant is probably similar, if not identical to, Prestone with Corguard....
which does have 2-EHA and phosphates.

It has been trickling out. We have it in stock. It is not compatible with the previous gold coolant.

For those of that drive GM , there is also the Dexron family + Dexcool .

Originally Posted by pbm
I agree with Sayjac that this new Ford coolant is probably similar, if not identical to, Prestone with Corguard....
which does have 2-EHA and phosphates.

Good - - - - - because that's what I am currently running in my 2008 F150, anyway.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Always, always, always use the VIN to verify what the vehicle has before handing out fluid. We also do Mazda so we have all of those to carry and keep track of as well.

Still NOT reliable information....

You don't know what the last person/tech who worked on it put in it....

Very true. In the case, at least with a cooling system, we are supposed to completely flush out the system and return it to factory. Obviously we don't for someone smart that uses ELC in a 6.0 Powerstroke.

After reading title again wanted to add, as far as type and chemistry Ford not actually going back to anything with new "DY" yellow AF. The previous " Y" yellow AF known as Motorcraft Gold is G-05 HOAT. That is different than both the orange Dex and the new yellow. It's a low silicate HOAT AF with no 2eha.

Ford probably uses the most coolants within its brand than any other manufacturer I've seen. Their diesels have a coolant additive that needs to be replenished as well.

Originally Posted by Railrust

Ford probably uses the most coolants within its brand than any other manufacturer I've seen. Their diesels have a coolant additive that needs to be replenished as well.

And there are 2 different coolant additives as well. VC-8 for the 7.3L and VC-12 for the 6.7L.

Back