Share your personal tire psi vs the recomemded

Status
Not open for further replies.
For example, my Fusion S with 16" tires calls for 32psi. I run 38 in the front and 36 in the rear. This provides smooth driving without a bunch of edge wear compared to running OEM recomendation for tire psi. I have tried a month of 40 all the way around but ride suffers.
My F150 fx4 w/ 20" all terrains calls for 36psi, I prefer 40psi, it handles better and less edge wear but the ride quality is almost exactly the same with 36.

What is labeled on the tire as max . Usually some where ~ 40 psi . On the Chevy Sonic , if you add too much air , the warning indicator goes off .

Tip; If the warning system indicates 1 tire is low , check all of them and inflate accordingly . Had a company truck that the TPMS was confused . Kept airing up the wrong tire ! :-(

2004 Toyota calls for 30 PSI front and back. I run 40 on a tire rated for 51. My MPG is 34 city and 38 to 40 highway.
Car handles just fine and delivers 2 to 4 more MPG than the EPA rating.

Whatever my owners manual says +1 PSI rather than going by the door card. Because of the various tire/wheel options available on every model, BMW will offer a PSI for your specific tire/wheel combo. I add 1 PSI because I'm not running RFT which is what the vehicle is spec'd for.

I ran a set of tires at 35 psi instead of the recommended 26 psi for 11 years until they were used up. The crown was only slightly more worn than the edges.

I mention this because in the past I've always seen more edge wear than even wear and I wanted to get away from this effect.

I go with 35 psi for all automotive tires.

I run 40 in front on all cars and 39 in rear. I do this as it prevents the sides in front from wearing prematurely. Slightly harsher ride but I like getting better tire wear

I run 36 in the Escape. 32 as the label says is way too squishy. I've got like 40k miles on these tires and I never even rotated them, and they still look good.

Last edited:
Mitsubishi sticker calls for 29 psi all round. Actual 38 psi all round.

Yota sticker calls for front 31 psi and rear 35 psi. Actual 44 psi all round.

No uneven wear at end of tire life.

I'm happily shocked at all the door sticker PSI violators. You can inflate to ANY pressure that keeps you below the maximum pressure when it is hot. I generally set it where i cannot detect edge wear for whatever vehicle. If you have a full load add enough pressure for the load you're hauling. Seeing a family on the side of the road with a sidewall blowout I can bet is due to underinflation not overinflation. On my truck i have Michelins that max @ 80psi. When I tow a 11,000 lb trailer i usually am up to 65-70 psi and it rides just fine.

Last edited:
Lexus calls for 35 for the front and 38 for the back (staggered setup from factory).
I run 36 front and 40 back with a notable difference in fuel economy and performance.

BMW.. I dunno, about 38-40ish all around.
With 195/65/15's, they look like a set of balloons!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back