Emirates A380 dropped during maintenance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It appears that the nose gear was retracted while the airframe was unsupported. The mechanics screwed this one big time by not following procedure for a hydraulics test. They're lucky nobody died.

Originally Posted by FowVay
It appears that the nose gear was retracted while the airframe was unsupported. The mechanics screwed this one big time by not following procedure for a hydraulics test. They're lucky nobody died.

Probably Spartan grads

Originally Posted by Linctex
There are tons of A380's in the boneyards...

it'll be cheaper to just go get one of them.

I challenge you to find one A380 in the boneyard ! I doubt any A380 airframe has been in service long enough to age out - its not like the 747 which has been flying since the early 70's.

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
Originally Posted by Linctex
There are tons of A380's in the boneyards...

it'll be cheaper to just go get one of them.

I challenge you to find one A380 in the boneyard ! I doubt any A380 airframe has been in service long enough to age out - its not like the 747 which has been flying since the early 70's.

I think maybe Linctex's comment had a bit of sarcasm. I saw this posted on Reddit in the aviation subreddit and A&Ps there were pointing out all that had to go wrong for this to happen.

The early A380's were problematic. They had the wing crack issues as well as the water supply leaks. Qantas has a couple of instances where passengers got free showers. Then there were the engine problems especially after Qantas blew one departing Singapore.

Someone forgot to lock the gear in place.

The A380 is seeing an early retirement - EK, AF and BA will have them around for a little longer and maybe KE. QF and SG want them gone ASAP. It's more or less an albatross of a plane and the 777-300ER/779 can carry 2/3rds the pax but with less fuel burn.

I've heard from some FedEx Airbus mechs that there are some checks that have you flipping the gear handle up with the jet on the ground - but, of course, the gear pins better be in, or the nose gear will retract. That is on the ones that FedEx has (A300, A310).

That scenario happened not that long ago at FedEx in Memphis. How they managed to do that, I don't know. Well, actually, yes, I do. They got in a hurry, tried to shortcut, and got complacent.

Originally Posted by nthach
Someone forgot to lock the gear in place.

The A380 is seeing an early retirement - EK, AF and BA will have them around for a little longer and maybe KE. QF and SG want them gone ASAP. It's more or less an albatross of a plane and the 777-300ER/779 can carry 2/3rds the pax but with less fuel burn.

Plus those other planes can go to other destinations without restrictions. That is one problem with the A380. Only a certain number of airports can handle the whale.

The smaller airlines like Thai and Malaysia are dumping them fast. Interestingly enough, ANA picked up a couple, probably at a good contract price. They are using them for their Honolulu flights from Tokyo exclusively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back