Ford 2.5 vibration at idle

Status
Not open for further replies.
2010 escape, 100k miles. Plugs and coils changed maybe 30k miles ago. I've replaced maf and throttle body. Why do I still have rough idle. I have a laptop in the car with a ram mount and the letters on the screen vibrate enough reading it is annoying. Plz help?

Probably a engine/trans mount. Take a floor jack with a piece of soft wood (Pine) on the jack pad & lightly lift the engine at the mount locations to find the offending mount.

ALL inline 4 cylinder engines vibrate......It's the mounts job to isolate it from the vehicle.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Probably a engine/trans mount. Take a floor jack with a piece of soft wood (Pine) on the jack pad & lightly lift the engine at the mount locations to find the offending mount.

ALL inline 4 cylinder engines vibrate......It's the mounts job to isolate it from the vehicle.

I've always owned big 6s or v8s. Am I just expecting too much? It hasn't got better or worse than at 60k about a year ago when I bought it from a Ford dealer.

Last edited:
V6's also have issues with balance vibrations, Some worse than others, Still nothing like a I4....Especially the larger ones like your 2.5L.
A Cummins 3.9L I4 diesel will shake the fillings out of your teeth where a Cummins 5.9L I6 is smooth as glass.

I use my buddies Case skid steer with a 3.9L Cummins for dirt work around the homestead fairly often......I feel the aftershock for hours afterward!

I test drove one that was new.....had a bad vibration at idle. A friend of mine bought the Mercury version and has had a vibration the entire time. It was bad enough that I got the Rogue instead.

Originally Posted by Eddie
Most 2.5L I4 engines have balance shafts and idle smoothly like my MAZDA 2.5. Ed

Yes but we are talking two different engines. Only the displacement size is the same. My Mazda 2.5 is also very smooth.

I bet it's the hydraulic engine mount at the "front" passenger side of the engine.

A 2010 Escape should have the MZR I4, which is very close to the mazda 2.5 - they also have balance shafts as far as I know.

Shot in the dark . Hook up a OBDII reader & look for misfires , O2 sensors , and the other sensors that would contribute to vibration .

Very big shot in the dark . Valve or valve timing issue ?

Also , check for vacuum leaks .

Did you replace the plugs & coil , or some one else .

( Actually , the timer has counted down to zero & it is time to trade it in & buy a new car . :) )

Best of luck to you , :)

Check your IAC, EGR and PCV...it can also be your mount(s). Less common but possible are bad or failing crank/camshaft sensors.

Using an obd reader, are your rpms bouncing bigly?

Last edited:
My 2013 Fusion has the 2.5. It's never had what I'd call a real smooth idle. It's the same at 100k as it was at 26k.

2.5L for a 4-cyl is getting up there for size as far as vibration goes. Balance shafts are needed around this point, unless the engineers find a way to lower the reciprocating mass (piston and small end of connecting rod).

I've also read that some modders remove balance shafts to get the extra gain in power and economy. So you can look at your engine two different ways - pros and cons.... it's either efficient or it's shaky. Given the push for meeting CAFE, I'd say the manufacturer opted for efficient.

my fusion 2.5 has a smooth idle, but vibrates more than I would like. I would recommend looking at the mounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back