Moly vs No Moly

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you don't want a lower friction coefficient between sliding metal parts go molyless. IMO it is more important then zddp in some appliations such as ticking engines.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

Liqui Moly makes a diesel oil additive and a diesel oil.

Just spit balling here but maybe in the early years of moly formulas/use, it contributed to clogging of the DPF?.. dunno.

Does the additive actually contain any appreciable amount of moly? Contrary to Liqui Moly having "moly" in their brand name, a lot of their oil products are actually low to no molybdenum in the products themselves.

Many people put the Ligui Moly brand and it's oils on a pedestal because it is made in Germany and mistakenly a lot of times thinking all their oils are molybdenum based.

Originally Posted by Hootbro
Does the additive actually contain any appreciable amount of moly? Contrary to Liqui Moly having "moly" in their brand name, a lot of their oil products are actually low to no molybdenum in the products themselves.

Fwiw, I've never used LM and and don't make any 💰 from them...‚...I'll let you email/call Liqui-Molly and bicker about the term "appreciable" as it relates to their product and engine wear (I'm not a formulator ...‚)... anyhow, enjoy👇

LM additive for Diesel (w/MoS2)

LM Diesel Oil

LM Diesel Oil 2

LM Diesel Oil 3

There are other diesel/HDEO mfgs besides LM that use moly, for example 👇
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...006-lbz-duramax-17-773-miles#Post5115582

and...(a BMW branded diesel factory fill w/moly)

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...30-ll-12-6202-on-oil-43936-o#Post5058156

Last edited:
Just wondering, but if these additives need such high temps to activate, then how often are we likely to see their benefits in a lightly driven daily driver?

Originally Posted by madeej11
Just wondering, but if these additives need such high temps to activate, then how often are we likely to see their benefits in a lightly driven daily driver?

that is the absolute point it oly benefit some engines, ones that have side pressure or any condition where there is sliding metal, other wise it is close to enert rolling around oil. The metal in those conditions are the temps needed to plate. Often the same places mehanical sharing is happenng. If your engine is "perfect" maybe you wouldn't see much benefit, but it is like a cost nothing insurance policy. Moly oils are the same cost of none moly oils, why not run it? moly additives and moly oils are killing ticks all around the net, why? It does exacty what the white paper says it does, lowers the coefficient of friction.

Originally Posted by burla
Originally Posted by madeej11

that is the absolute point it oly benefit some engines, ones that have side pressure or any condition where there is sliding metal, other wise it is close to enert rolling around oil. The metal in those conditions are the temps needed to plate. Often the same places mehanical sharing is happenng. If your engine is "perfect" maybe you wouldn't see much benefit, but it is like a cost nothing insurance policy. Moly oils are the same cost of none moly oils, why not run it? moly additives and moly oils are killing ticks all around the net, why? It does exacty what the white paper says it does, lowers the coefficient of friction.

Yep,and that goes back to my post about high moly oils making engines run smooth and quiet.

Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver
Also, what ppm do we define as low, average or high moly?

Maybe there is one, but i'm not aware of any "consensus" (not that I'm the authority on this ...‚)...I know the lubricant has a threshold of how much in the way of additives it can hold in suspension without fallout becoming an issue...plus, EP/AW additives will compete with each other and other additives (like corrosion inhibitors) for metal surface. So too much of this good thing can actually have undesirable effects within the engine. This is the balancing act the chemists go through when formulating an effective end product...so in theory they can keep throwing in gobs of moly but at some point you'll get diminished returns and/or even negative side effects.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back