Castrol Magnatec - Clinging Molecules Questions ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was considering using Magnatec on both new cars, mostly because we both have short commutes. I like to stick with one brand throughout the life of the vehicle, if possible (the Mazda only had Mobil 1). There is a legit chemistry to Magnatec as Shannow stated. There were also two Castrol reps on here that have confirmed it as well.

The Noack of the 5w30 is 8.9%, not bad.

I've never been a big fan of Castrol, but they do make some very good oils.

I never received confirmation if the Magnatec chemistry is in the U.S. Edge versions.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi

Great insider info, Shannow….did he give you any insight into the nature of the special chemistry of Magnatec?

Nope...I suggested esters, and he sad something like them but not specifically.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
How does Edge compare to this?

I find it interesting that Castrol generates all this marketing hoopla around Magnatec, but says nothing about Edge, leaving all the Edge users out there (myself included) a little butthurt.
smile.gif
Personally, I really don't care, but Castrol's literature makes it sound like their mid tier product is in some ways more fancy/advanced than their top of the line offering, which I find somewhat odd. Whatever it takes to make a sale, I guess.

member bobbydavro worked on Edge...he told me that it iuses the next generation of the concept.

Originally Posted by Shannow
Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi

Great insider info, Shannow….did he give you any insight into the nature of the special chemistry of Magnatec?

Nope...I suggested esters, and he sad something like them but not specifically.

How does Edge compare to this?

I find it interesting that Castrol generates all this marketing hoopla around Magnatec, but says nothing about Edge, leaving all the Edge users out there (myself included) a little butthurt.
smile.gif
Personally, I really don't care, but Castrol's literature makes it sound like their mid tier product is in some ways more fancy/advanced than their top of the line offering, which I find somewhat odd. Whatever it takes to make a sale, I guess.

member bobbydavro worked on Edge...he told me that it iuses the next generation of the concept.

He told me that as well but I PM'd him and asked him and he said he had to check.
21.gif

From a Castrol UK rep....still no confirmation.

"If both products are available with the specifications you need for your vehicles - then I would always suggest the EDGE to be the superior product as it has a better base oil and additive package.

However, as you are doing low mileages, it may be more prudent to use the Magnatec and change it once a year - especially if you are doing short trips, unless the cost is unimportant in which case the EDGE would be a better choice for a slight premium in cost.

Both oils would offer excellent protection and performance whichever you decided to use.

Hope that's useful"

Originally Posted by buster
From a Castrol UK rep....still no confirmation.

"If both products are available with the specifications you need for your vehicles - then I would always suggest the EDGE to be the superior product as it has a better base oil and additive package.

However, as you are doing low mileages, it may be more prudent to use the Magnatec and change it once a year - especially if you are doing short trips, unless the cost is unimportant in which case the EDGE would be a better choice for a slight premium in cost.

Both oils would offer excellent protection and performance whichever you decided to use.

Hope that's useful"

so for short trips its better to use the magnatec or the edge?
they are saying two different things.

Originally Posted by painfx
Originally Posted by 1bioguy
Friends dont let friends use Castrol

Why?

Because of conversations like this, it's their marketing. May be a fine enough oil, but I find their approach and marketing insultingly stupid.

It's basically unclear whether their Edge syn. is the top or the "smart clingy alien technology" oil. I see some of their promotional advertisements at counters and on shelves, they try to make you believe only their oil does what it does. I suppose they all do to some degree but I find Castrol to be silly.

Originally Posted by painfx
Friends dont let friends use Castrol

Why?

Because of conversations like this, it's their marketing. May be a fine enough oil, but I find their approach and marketing insultingly stupid.

It's basically unclear whether their Edge syn. is the top or the "smart clingy alien technology" oil. I see some of their promotional advertisements at counters and on shelves, they try to make you believe only their oil does what it does. I suppose they all do to some degree but I find Castrol to be silly.

lol.gif

Well, pictures don't lie!! These are actual Ecoboost turbo bearings unable to shear the titanium fishnet stockings of Edge!!
🤯...Ž...‚

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by noclutch
Well, pictures don't lie!! These are actual Ecoboost turbo bearings unable to shear the titanium fishnet stockings of Edge!!
🤯...Ž...‚

LMAO!

🤯...Ž...‚

[Linked Image]

I see marketing works

🤯...Ž...‚

LMAO!

That's not much cling - you should have seen CM cling after it oxidized in our Pentastar

Originally Posted by 4WD
🤯...Ž...‚

LMAO!

That's not much cling - you should have seen CM cling after it oxidized in our Pentastar

...‚ðŸ‘

Originally Posted by 4WD
🤯...Ž...‚

LMAO!

Maybe Castrol should up their advertising and say that Magnatec CAKES onto critical engine components to protect them?

🤯...Ž...‚

[Linked Image]

Great post noclutch. Exemplifies exactly marketing nonsense. Picture's worth a thousand words.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back