BMW timing chain replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stopped by my MB/BMW indy shop the other day to purchase a small part. They had a late model BMW up on the lift with the engine out. The engine block was on an engine stand completely stripped down. They told me it needed a timing chain and that you have to take it down to the bare block to accomplish this. It was the 4.0 turbo v-8. They said it would be at least $6k. The car belonged to a used car lot and appeared to have a junkyard engine because there were writings on the engine. The car lot wanted it fixed. I figure they must have got the car for next to nothing, tried to put a junk yard engine that had a bad timing chain. I asked about the oil used etc but they didn't have any history on it. Why would a late model BMW v-8 need a timing chain or new engine?

Late model BMW V8's are a real joy to own. Chains are just one of the potential issues.

I believe there are recalls on them to replace the timing chains and the turbos. Not sure I want to be the one owning it out of warranty ...

Extended oil changes!
lol.gif

Originally Posted by loneryder
Stopped by my MB/BMW indy shop the other day to purchase a small part. They had a late model BMW up on the lift with the engine out. The engine block was on an engine stand completely stripped down. They told me it needed a timing chain and that you have to take it down to the bare block to accomplish this. It was the 4.0 turbo v-8. They said it would be at least $6k. The car belonged to a used car lot and appeared to have a junkyard engine because there were writings on the engine. The car lot wanted it fixed. I figure they must have got the car for next to nothing, tried to put a junk yard engine that had a bad timing chain. I asked about the oil used etc but they didn't have any history on it. Why would a late model BMW v-8 need a timing chain or new engine?

https://www.bmwblog.com/2015/10/28/bmw-to-replace-faulty-timing-chain-in-2008-2014-vehicles/

My thoughts exactly..... I think Scotty K would think more highly of certain G/Z cars if his customers had bought them with low miles and kept to a 5k OCI and also changed the ATF (before the bad noises happen)

This may be one of the BMWs with the engines where the timing side (cover and chain or "front" of engine) faces the firewall of all things, intended to be a lifetime chain but always ended up wearing out and needing to be replaced at massive cost. Talk about a boondoggle, if you think it can't be done (or shouldn't be) leave it to the Germans.

Originally Posted by NoNameJoe
This may be one of the BMWs with the engines where the timing side (cover and chain or "front" of engine) faces the firewall of all things, intended to be a lifetime chain but always ended up wearing out and needing to be replaced at massive cost. Talk about a boondoggle, if you think it can't be done (or shouldn't be) leave it to the Germans.

Nope. It's at the front and believe it that technicians much prefer to perform this work by dropping the engine.

It is 4.4ltr N63 engine. I highly doubt 6k is only chain. That engine has a lot of issues, mostly due to the fact that turbos, who are running ridiculously hot, are in the V bay. Also, operating temperature of that engine is 110c. I would guess that together with chain, they are changing: valve stems, turbo oil lines, cooling lines and not uncommon due to lack of attention, turbos.
Problem with these engines is that they see a lot of city driving and they are not design for that at all. N63TU version addressed these issues and so far proved to be pretty reliable.

Originally Posted by Doublehaul
Originally Posted by Anduril
German engineering

THIS

If the Germans build the Starship Enterprise, Scotty will have to remove both engine nacelles every 20,000 light years to get to the dilithium crystals.

That's why I stick with I4 and I6 BMW engines. On the 12 BMWs I've owned since 1983 I've replaced one timing chain- and that was on the 3.0 liter M30 in my 1973 E3 at 90k miles.

Originally Posted by DGXR
cheap - fast - reliable
pick two

just like (with women)
hot - smart - stable
pick two

01.gif

Originally Posted by The Critic
Late model BMW V8's are a real joy to own. Chains are just one of the potential issues.

That's why I quit buying them. Lease only, with the lease term completely within the confines of the b2b warranty.

Originally Posted by DGXR
cheap - fast - reliable
pick two

just like (with women)
hot - smart - stable
pick two

There aren't 2 choices for either of them!

Originally Posted by edyvw

It is 4.4ltr N63 engine. I highly doubt 6k is only chain. That engine has a lot of issues, mostly due to the fact that turbos, who are running ridiculously hot, are in the V bay. Also, operating temperature of that engine is 110c. I would guess that together with chain, they are changing: valve stems, turbo oil lines, cooling lines and not uncommon due to lack of attention, turbos.
Problem with these engines is that they see a lot of city driving and they are not design for that at all. N63TU version addressed these issues and so far proved to be pretty reliable.

That's another "good" idea from the Germans like the oil cooler in the bottom of the v on a MB v-6 diesel with an inferior seal between the oil and coolant.

Originally Posted by edyvw

I'm glad you are at least giving good information on some of the German engine issues. It's better to help people than to pretend things are good most engines out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back