new stihl BG 86 owner here

Status
Not open for further replies.
This weekend I picked up a new handheld Stihl BG 86 blower to replace my worn out husky home depot special. Upon start up it takes at least two minutes at wot before it actually warms up and begins blowing well. I plant on doing a little tuning on the high and low speed adjusters this weekend, also removing the spark arrestor scren. However, Im very dissapointed in its performance because it doesent feel that much more powerful than my cheap blower from the homeless death spot.
Questions is, are there any performance mods so i can my moneys worth out of this thing before I return it.

After you start it place your hand over the blower tube while only blocking apx 60% of the airflow, when it sounds "right" it should only take 2 to 3 for it to continue on it's own.

Originally Posted by Jethro_Bob
After you start it place your hand over the blower tube while only blocking apx 60% of the airflow, when it sounds "right" it should only take 2 to 3 for it to continue on it's own.

????

Translate that to understandable?

Goose the throttle to warm it up faster. You can't expect a 2-cycle small motor to be ready for WOT instantly. I've had a BG55 for 11 years, totally happy with it.

1. start engine. 2. apply throttle. 3. place other hand at end of tube where air comes out, do not block it all. 4. with engine running at speed remove hand from tube and get to work.

Last edited:
1. start engine. 2. apply throttle. 3. place other hand at end of tube where air comes out, do not block it all. 4. with engine running at speed remove hand from tube and get to work.
Step 5. Return the Stihl then go buy an Echo!

I don't understand what putting your hand over the blower nozzle is going to do???

Start it up and goose the throttle a few times and go. I have a BG50 and it works just fine.

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
This weekend I picked up a new handheld Stihl BG 86 blower to replace my worn out husky home depot special. Upon start up it takes at least two minutes at wot before it actually warms up and begins blowing well. I plant on doing a little tuning on the high and low speed adjusters this weekend, also removing the spark arrestor scren. However, Im very dissapointed in its performance because it doesent feel that much more powerful than my cheap blower from the homeless death spot.
Questions is, are there any performance mods so i can my moneys worth out of this thing before I return it.
I would clean the carb first, I know it is brand new but cold blooded 2t = carb issue. I would clean the carb and see if it fixes it, then return it if the problems continue. You shouldn't have to modify something you bought brand new unless you cannot return it. Something in the carb could have been assembled wrong or something. Also, I would try fresh E0 but I assume you have already been there if you are talking about mods.

Originally Posted by tmorris1
I don't understand what putting your hand over the blower nozzle is going to do???

Essentially takes the load off the engine.

Same effect as when you put the nozzle over something on accident while blowing, the RPMs shoot up real fast.

Been using Stihl products for 30 plus years and have found 89 octane or better with Stihl oil to give best performance. Don`t be hesitant to return a problem machine back to the dealer.

I run rec 90 ethonal free fuel with stihl oil mixed properly. I personally believe its very lean from the factory. this weekend I plan to remove the tamper proof sleeves on the adjusters and richen it up, also plan to remove the screen in the exhaust. we'll see what happens. Even after it warms up the performance is not really that much better than the husky from the depot, well at least no where near triple performance due to it being triple the cost of the husky.

Originally Posted by Dinoburner
Been using Stihl products for 30 plus years and have found 89 octane or better with Stihl oil to give best performance. Don`t be hesitant to return a problem machine back to the dealer.

You do know Stihl, like Echo, REQUIRES the use of minimum 89 octane gas in their 2 stroke machines.

That's pretty much how most of the Stihl blowers are. I've sold and done several product demos of BG 50s, 56s, 85s, etc working at a dealer, and own a 56 myself. That's pretty much "just how they are."

Removing the spark arrestor isn't a bad idea, as it's super common on the Stihl blowers to gunk up. The BG 86, while having the same 27.2cc engine popular on much of the homeowner trimmer/blower lineup, actually is a pretty rugged little unit with a beefier AV system, throttle lock and hardened/upgraded crank+rod bearings.

BUT, do keep in mind that most handheld blowers are really not designed for moving serious leaves, or anything beyond dusting/blowing grass clippings or similar debris... just don't have the CFM..

If you really do not like it, a lot of dealers don't like to do it, but you CAN get your money back within 14 days, if the dealer gives you a hassle, call Stihl.

A
I run rec 90 ethonal free fuel with stihl oil mixed properly. I personally believe its very lean from the factory. this weekend I plan to remove the tamper proof sleeves on the adjusters and richen it up, also plan to remove the screen in the exhaust. we'll see what happens. Even after it warms up the performance is not really that much better than the husky from the depot, well at least no where near triple performance due to it being triple the cost of the husky.

It IS very lean from the factory. Really little differences or changes from previous editions, just different carbs running lean. Really just a way for Stihl to tout "fuel efficiency"

Originally Posted by DaleRider
Originally Posted by Dinoburner

You do know Stihl, like Echo, REQUIRES the use of minimum 89 octane gas in their 2 stroke machines.

yes, tried 87 and hot starts were a problem, it would not fire and then flood.

I have a Stihl SH-85 blower which I purchased in April 2004 for homeowner use. It is hands down the most durable and best performing hand held blower I've ever used. My company has also purchased several BG-86s over the past few years for rental property maintenance, which is roughly the equivalent of my (discontinued?) SH85 and our crew is not happy with them. We have now switched to Echo equivalents, which performsbetter for us, but still not as good as my SH85 at home.

I also recently bought an Echo PB-2620 for my home as a backup in case my Stihl gives up the ghost. After running them side by side for a month, I'm using the Stihl 90% of the time while the Echo is used sparingly to keep the fuel circulated from time to time. So I'm favoring a 15 yr old Stihl blower vs. a brand new Echo, go figure. They don't make 'em like they used to.

Running my own brew of ethanol free fuel in my Sthil. 93 E10 with 30 oz of water. Ethanol is drawn out by the water. Drain the water and your left pretty much E0 fuel. I add a little octane booster and Amsoil Saber oil. On my 2nd year with this combo with no issues.

I have a BG86 as well and mine behaves the same way. I've come to just co exist with the issue. I figured it had something to do with emissions.

My parents have the BG85 and it'll run circles around mine.

*i also run 91 octane E0 gas. I buy it 1 gallon at a time and it's always fresh. I also have a Husky saw, Stihl weed eater and old 2 stroke LB so I go through fuel fast enough too.

Last edited:
NO alcohol premium runs about 2 to 3% richer than 10% ethanol. That is enough that you have significantly less cold start warm up and issues. As well as longer fuel line and carb diaphragm life.

Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back