2018 Kia Forte - low compression on 2 cyliners

If you have to wait for a new engine for three months, that tells me it is a fairly common problem and these are on back order.
Usually parts are on back order because many dealerships are ordering it. In such a new vehicle, that is quite concerning.

Just look at the takara airbag recall, many cannot be performed because dealerships cannot get the parts.

The true numbers will likely never be known outside of Hyundai/Kia corporate, unless an official recall campaign is started, but I believe Hundai does have a pretty big problem on their hands.

Originally Posted by mrdctaylor
Guys,

My son-in-law bought a 2018 Kia Forte a few months ago. It only has about 30K miles on it now. He and my daughter were going down the highway and a check engine light came on and it started running rough. They took it to a dealership and they said that it had low compression on 2 cylinders and likely needed a new engine. I'm not mechanic, but I'm curious if anyone out there knows if there is a common problem that crops up in 2018 Kia Fortes that could cause this. Or is it maybe just bad luck? They've had the car for a few months and have had no issues, so this really seemed out of left field. The car is at the dealer now and they have a rental car. Any info/advice that I can pass along to them would be appreciated. Thanks!

I hope KIA is covering it under warranty ?

It is under warranty, but they are saying it could take a month for a new engine. Basically, I just want to help make sure they are taken care of. This just seems odd. I've never had a car have engine issues so early in its life, but I guess it happens.

Were it me , as long as the dealer was providing a rental car , I would not much mind it it took a month to get a new engine from Korea , via slow boat .

I pray they have no more problems with the car ( when they get it back ) and it gives them outstanding service .

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Guys,

My son-in-law bought a 2018 Kia Forte a few months ago. It only has about 30K miles on it now. He and my daughter were going down the highway and a check engine light came on and it started running rough. They took it to a dealership and they said that it had low compression on 2 cylinders and likely needed a new engine. I'm not mechanic, but I'm curious if anyone out there knows if there is a common problem that crops up in 2018 Kia Fortes that could cause this. Or is it maybe just bad luck? They've had the car for a few months and have had no issues, so this really seemed out of left field. The car is at the dealer now and they have a rental car. Any info/advice that I can pass along to them would be appreciated. Thanks!

I hope KIA is covering it under warranty ?

Yes, it sounds like they are.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
It is under warranty, but they are saying it could take a month for a new engine. Basically, I just want to help make sure they are taken care of. This just seems odd. I've never had a car have engine issues so early in its life, but I guess it happens.

Were it me , as long as the dealer was providing a rental car , I would not much mind it it took a month to get a new engine from Korea , via slow boat .

I pray they have no more problems with the car ( when they get it back ) and it gives them outstanding service .

Nor would I. The problem is that because he is under 25, they are charging him $15/day for his "free" rental car. That adds up pretty quickly when you are also making a car payment and have just started a new job. :-(

Kia and Hyundai have had serious engine problems reported across their line in certain engines but it seems to be minority of sales. Subaru been the same way too FOR YEARS.

The upside is decent warranty from Kia/Hyundai however making a payment for a car you cannot use is really a bummer.

Originally Posted by Mainia
It's not a head gasket for sure. Thats an easy fix that would not require a new motor. Something failed right off the bat. Yes a common problem with Hyundai's. 14% need new motors before 100,000 miles. I had one go at 14,000 miles. I even bought a new one. 2018 Kona AWD 1.6T, that motor is their best motor, so my odds are good. The 2.4 not so good.

Where the heck did you pull that out of? (I have an idea🤔)... Right now there's a filter C&P on a 10yr old Sonata engine with nearly 300k miles... both the filter and oil look fantastic after a 4k oci.

Nor would I. The problem is that because he is under 25, they are charging him $15/day for his "free" rental car. That adds up pretty quickly when you are also making a car payment and have just started a new job. :-(

That's BS..get the tel# of the regional big cheese at Hyundai or demand a sit down mtg with the dealership GM or Service Advisor and get them to go to bat for your son. Hyundai can/will cover the whole darn thing if enough pressure is applied.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

That's BS..get the tel# of the regional big cheese at Hyundai or demand a sit down mtg with the dealership GM or Service Advisor and get them to go to bat for your son. Hyundai can/will cover the whole darn thing if enough pressure is applied.

Absolutely BS! The documentation says "free loaner", not "free loaner 25 years and up".

Might have to get more involved...and make sure he gets the $ back he's already paid for the "free rental" ....

Just got word from my son-in-law that he got Kia to cover that $15/day charge so at least he won't be out any money while they have his car! Thanks for all of the input.

Just got word from my son-in-law that he got Kia to cover that $15/day charge so at least he won't be out any money while they have his car! Thanks for all of the input.

That's awesome news sir!ðŸ‘

Seems one thing is still true about Kia/Hyundai... you sometimes have to apply the pressure.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any thoughts on one more thing: their car crapped out 3 hours from home, so they had to limp into a dealership quite a ways away, which is where it is now. Personally, I wonder if they should try to get it towed to their local Kia dealer instead of having the work done where they originally took it. I mean, if he gets 3 hours back home and has problems with the new engine install, will his local dealer still help him at that point under warranty? Or would he be forced to drive it back 3 hours to the shop where the work was done? Thanks!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Anduril
Yikes, my wife was looking at Souls a few years go and this makes me glad she didn't buy one.

Soul searching ? I'm still having visions of the chartreuse one in Austin (that almost hit my owned for 45 minutes Z71)

That's what it looks like for now - once they gain enough market share and level out - how they do business then will be the true measure

Does anyone have any thoughts on one more thing: their car crapped out 3 hours from home, so they had to limp into a dealership quite a ways away, which is where it is now. Personally, I wonder if they should try to get it towed to their local Kia dealer instead of having the work done where they originally took it. I mean, if he gets 3 hours back home and has problems with the new engine install, will his local dealer still help him at that point under warranty? Or would he be forced to drive it back 3 hours to the shop where the work was done? Thanks!

They prefer you go back to the dealership that sold the car but any dealership can technically do the service. As for getting it towed back from 3hrs away... there's a good chance you'd have to pay for that. If you have a problem after the repair work, you can take it into your local dealer... again, any dealership can technically do the work. (for example if you moved out of state but there is a benefit of having the same shop work on the car)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Silverado12
Sorry to say it but bottom of the line junk. Buy a better brand next time.

Pathetic as usual.

My buddy is a Hyundai Tech. Works at a Hyundai dealership. His Genesis has about 160k miles on it and is on motor 4, all but 1 under warranty. This is what happened:

Motor 1: seized. Replaced.

Motor 2: installed by Hyundai. The techs working on the car forgot to add oil before starting the car.

Motor 3: broke a connecting rod. Replaced by Hyundai.

Motor 4: still running...for now.

Back