Looking for Shipping Company Recomendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buying a new toy that is 15 hours away. I had thought about flying in and driving back, but I really don't want this car on the highway if I can at all help it.... not too concerned with the cost, though I have several quotes in the $550 range, it's about 1050 miles.....I mainly want to make sure that I'm dealing with someone who is very reputable, and better yet, someone you guys have had personal experience with.

The only advice I can offer is, when using uShip for this kind of thing, double check that the shipper has an ENCLOSED trailer. I sold a motorcycle to a guy a few states away once, and he used uShip to find someone willing to pick it up. Well the guy who picked it up had an open-air 16ft trailer, but had told the buyer of the bike that it was enclosed.

$550 to ship a car 1050 miles sounds cheap to me. If I were bidding on the job, I would ask for about double that. Make sure it's an enclosed trailer.

Last edited:
I use Plycar (plycon) when I need a car shipped. Also Reliable and Intercity are good. Horseless carriage gets good reviews as well

Plycar shipped my last car from OR to FL with zero issues. Some of these guys have discounts if you are a hagerty member, PCA club, Mustang club etc.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Don't cheap out like the guy who bought my GTX from FL to MO

[Linked Image]

When my parents had a car shipped, it was dumped at some facility 20 miles out and rode a flatbed tow truck the rest of the way.

You may not see what circumstances you get for most of the journey.

Is this car nice or getting fixed up?

Agree the quoted prices aren't that bad.

Just to add the plycon cost me 2200 cross country, Portland OR to Tampa FL. You should figure about a dollar a mile

Shipping open carrier is going to be your cheapest option. If money's not an issue, than sending it enclosed is best. You can also ask the broker/shipper if they'll let you put a cover on before the hauler loads it up. Not all will. Make sure you take plenty of pics if you can and get proof of insurance by the hauler and broker and check with your insurance company to see what coverages, if any, you may have.

Be careful of low-ball quotes...brokers will quote you a low ball figure just to get you to sign with them and they know full well that they can't ship you for that amount... what they're planning on doing is hitting you with the real cost when you get near your ship date or become anxious to get your ride. At that point you're likely to say "eff it" and ok them to ship it at whatever it takes. (you may end up paying more because it's a last minute shipment)

CentralDispatch.com is the largest load board for car haulers. Check them out to a) find reputable (check out BBB and TransportReviews.com) brokers or haulers that deal directly with the public (not all do) and b) see if your $550 is realistic. If other brokers are offering haulers more 💰 than your broker is to ship a similarly sized vehicle, then your car will "never move".

Haulers know exactly what a spot on their truck is worth per mile and if you ain't willing to pay it, someone else will...but use that loadboard like I said to get a feel for what loads are going for between point A and B.

Edit: resist being forced into paying cash/cashier's check. You want to pay by CC if at all possible in the event something happens to your ride during transport.

Last edited:
I use Intercity Lines for the vehicles I truly care about or when we moved our new DD's. I've also use a few of the brokers; Big Dawg out of Sandwich MA is a favorite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back