[UOA] Castrol GTX Synblend 5W-30 - 5980 miles - 97 Maxima

Status
Not open for further replies.
The oil in question is from the original AZ clearance some time ago. This is the second run of this oil. When I drained it, it seemed pretty dark and thick, but it sat for about 45 minutes before the OC. The sample was sucked through the dipstick with the engine hot.
The filter used was an older PL14459.
The driving pattern was mostly commuting 27 miles one way (stop and go traffic and low speed driving in hot weather) with 2150 miles worth of roadtrips.
Top-up oil was 0.5 qt.
For most of the interval, TC-W3 was added to the gas.
Two OCIs ago, I resealed the tensioner cover (Permatex Grey). There was also driving in the dust in Utah involved.

UOA Max 205k crop.png

Castrol GTX synblend.JPG

Last edited:
Do you know what it's virgin 100c viscosity is? I can't find a PDS on this product. Just wondering if it thickened much over that 6k miles (it's still in grade)... doesn't look like it did. Additive levels look good. Castrols 5/30 Ultraclean (a syn blend) and GTX Syn Blend HiMi virgin are around 11.0 cSt @100c.

Nice to see a syn blend go 6k miles...

Last edited:
What brand of magnetic oil drain plug is that? I have been looking for one but most are aluminum and I am not sure I trust aluminum not to strip out. I have a 2007 maxima.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Do you know what it's virgin 100c viscosity is? I can't find a PDS on this product. Just wondering if it thickened much over that 6k miles (it's still in grade)... doesn't look like it did. Additive levels look good. Castrols 5/30 Ultraclean (a syn blend) and GTX Syn Blend HiMi virgin are around 11.0 cSt @100c.

I couldn't find a PDS myself, I might have something saved at home.
A PDS for the pre-Dexos Synblend, dated 3/20/2012 has 10.9 cSt @100C for the 5W-30 variety.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ignatius
How old is that oil? I thought that Castrol's synthetic blend was Ultraclean?

I purchased it in December 2014. I will post a date code photo.

Originally Posted by mtgrs737
What brand of magnetic oil drain plug is that? I have been looking for one but most are aluminum and I am not sure I trust aluminum not to strip out. I have a 2007 maxima.

I drilled the OEM drain plug and epoxied an ebay magnet in there.

Yes and it looks like it did it easy. Only 4 ppm iron wear, TBN at 2.9 and viscosity still in grade at 11.5 cSt.

Nice report OP ! And the Delvac 15W40 from a previous run looks good too.

TBN seems low on the Delvac for only 6k on a gas application, but it did well.

Any Castrol syn-blend UOA I've ever seen has been really good, they have this product well dialed-in.

Originally Posted by mtgrs737

Try This ... they are the "gold" standard :eek:)

Honestly, if you strip anything out, you could only hope its the drain plug, as that is an easy fix compared to the oil pan.
If someone does strip it, they have no business working on a vehicle.

Originally Posted by dave1251
It looks good and boring. 7.5K miles will be a nice OCI given your driving habits.

7.5k would probably be fine. I plan 7.5k miles for the Valvoline MST 5W-40, once the GTX synblend is finished (in about 12k miles).
Here's the Synblend date code.
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by addyguy

Any Castrol syn-blend UOA I've ever seen has been really good, they have this product well dialed-in.

Agreed..ðŸ‘..i think both the Castrol and Delvac from the prior run could do 7k in this engine. Both are still nicely in grade and while the TBN is in the "2's", there's still enough to hit the 7k mark I bet.

Again, great report..do you plan on sticking with it OP, or trying something different again??.. just curious.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Garak
It's old enough to be a dexos1 synthetic blend at least.

Hard to find a blend oil that meets Dexos cert. This was a great find for a "clearance" oil...

Originally Posted by addyguy

Agreed..ðŸ‘..i think both the Castrol and Delvac from the prior run could do 7k in this engine. Both are still nicely in grade and while the TBN is in the "2's", there's still enough to hit the 7k mark I bet.

Again, great report..do you plan on sticking with it OP, or trying something different again??.. just curious.

After I finish my stock of this oil, I'll use oil from the stash, most likely Valvoline MST 5W-40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back