Castrol Edge 0W-20: 5797 Miles: 2018 Subaru Forester FB25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey kids,

Just got my Blackstone results back today. Would love to share if anyone is interested. First sample with 25,270 total vehicle miles. Liked how it came out and had TBN done as well.

Bad new is: I'm a 63 year old man and pretty not computer savvy in the least. I don't even own a smart phone!

If any kind minded souls would like to help, shoot me a PM with your email address and I will forward the results for you to publish.
I would appreciate it though, if you would please wipe out my personal info on the form. Can't imagine someone on BITOG wanting to mess with a 63 year old man in the sticks of Iowa, but there are some crazy people out there I guess.

Won't FWD it until tomorrow. Had it sent to my work email because guess what? I don't have a printer at home either!
wink.gif

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Where be it?

I'm antsy
smile.gif

You could just type them in, there isn't that much once you break it down.

Why do you need a printer?

I was being lazy and hoped someone would
post results for me. It would look much more professional...but here you go!

Comments: We're not sure how good your engine looked on the previous 5000 mile oil changes, but we can't imagine it looks much better than what we're seeing here! This is a lovely sample, with wear materials all reading well within the average range for this type of engine. There was no contamination found in the oil, and insolubles measured very low at just a trace. The TBN was fine at 5.2, since a reading of 1.0 or less shows too little active additive left. Very nice sample. You could run longer, if you wanted!

Now for the meat and potatoes:
Miles on oil 5797
Miles on unit 24,270
Sample date 8/7/2019
Make up oil added 0

Aluminum 3
Chromium 0
Iron 7
Copper 2
Lead 1
Tin 0
Molybdenum 76
Nickel 0
Manganese 0
Silver 0
Titanium 11
Potassium 0
Boron 24
Silicon 16
Sodium 3
Calcium 688
Magnesium 1326
Phosphorus 616
Zinc 780
Barium 0

Properties:
SUS Viscosity @210 F 53.2
CST Viscosity @100C 8.23
Flashpoint in F 405
Fuel % 0.5
Antifreeze % 0.0
Water % 0.0
Insolubles TR
TBN 5.2

Whew...glad that is finished. I really suck at typing, so feel free to call me out on any errors or if you have questions!
Looking back...I should have grabbed my 14 year old GrandDaughter and had her post the actual results. LOL

Looks Good. Now I don't feel bad about going to 9000 miles "by accident" on the last OCI. I hope ours is as good as yours.

But my wife is a bear on the car and engine so I expect mine to be much worse.

Looks like an easy 7500 miles for you the next time. You have data so Subaru cant ding you on going farther - I would check with the service manager and see what/he she would allow under warranty.

6000 mi /6 month is silly and short on a modern car with port injection and no turbo.

I agree, 7500 on the next oil change should work!

Just to avoid the hassle and potential problems, I'm sticking with the Subaru 6000 mile oil changes until warranty is done. Then I'll bump it up.

Does Subaru - supposedley a "green focused company" know they are adding tremendous wast tor the ecosystem?

I think a few phone calls are in order!

If out 9k UOA comes in good 9k it will be ( with that same oil) !

Car seems to like the 5w20 Castrol Magnatec very much though ...

Originally Posted by cecil56

Just to avoid the hassle and potential problems, I'm sticking with the Subaru 6000 mile oil changes until warranty is done. Then I'll bump it up.

Smart move to stick to the recommended OCI during the Powertrain Warranty, IMO.

Originally Posted by bluesubie
Originally Posted by cecil56

Smart move to stick to the recommended OCI during the Powertrain Warranty, IMO.

That's my line of thought exactly! A few more oils changes for warranty purposes will not break the bank. Peace of mind is worth the small price.

After I bought the Forester, sold my old 2001 Chevy Impala with 306,000 miles and some change to a coworker. That's been almost 1 1/2 years ago now.
The old Impala is still running strong, so I must have done something right. It only needed a quart of make-up oil at 6500 mile intervals. Not bad, considering the mileage.
It's her 18 year old Daughter's work car. Hopefully at my age, last new vehicle for me.

Take good care of them and they last a long time. Rust belt in Iowa usually kills them off before the engines take a dump, if properly maintained.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back