TFL Truck testing Rotella Gas Truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's great that Shell will be doing a UOA and letting us know what the results are
grin2.gif

I like TFL reviews. Thanks for sharing the video. I don't know much about this oil.

Originally Posted by kstanf150
289 degrees on the oil temp gauge !! . . .

Yeah, I, too, took note of that oil temp. I was surprised initially when the FLT crew chose a 5W-20 weight oil to begin with -- I assume that's the oil weight recommended by RAM -- but that certainly makes their testing all the more impressive, particularly when that engine was turning 5k RPM mile after mile pulling all that weight.

"2. What is the difference between this oil and a regular PCMO you make like Pennzoil Platinum or Conventional Pennzoil?
a. Shell Rotella Gas Truck provides unsurpassed wear protection that larger, higher-torque powertrains need. It outperforms conventional motor oils in severe conditions like stop-and-go driving, sludge forming environments, extensive idling, heavy hauling and towing, rugged terrain and extreme hot and cold temperatures. This is a full synthetic product and is formulated differently than Pennzoil Platinum. The chemical composition of the products is quite different. Both Pennzoil Platinum and Shell Rotella Gas Truck are full synthetic motor oils with a modern package of additives meeting the latest API SN PLUS requirements. Shell Rotella Gas Truck is specifically formulated with higher levels of antioxidant to protect the larger vehicle engine. This enables the oil to cope with the more stressful and hotter operating conditions, often encountered by truck and SUV owners. However, both products you referenced provide a very strong level of protection for passenger car engines."

I'm sure this is a very good oil. Shell doesn't make a bad oil.

Originally Posted by Hounds

Yeah, I, too, took note of that oil temp. I was surprised initially when the FLT crew chose a 5W-20 weight oil to begin with -- I assume that's the oil weight recommended by RAM -- but that certainly makes their testing all the more impressive, particularly when that engine was turning 5k RPM mile after mile pulling all that weight.

I've never looked at the oil cooler on the new Rebel, but with should a high oil temp leads me to wonder if the cooler is under sized for the application

I've never looked at the oil cooler on the new Rebel, but with should a high oil temp leads me to wonder if the cooler is under sized for the application

It's probably fine...consider the truck ran 8 miles, wide open up an extreme grade to get to that temp. It was still maintaining good oil pressure at 48 PSI.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Slick17601

It's probably fine...consider the truck ran 8 miles, wide open up an extreme grade to get to that temp. It was still maintaining good oil pressure at 48 PSI.

I'd say that's an extreme oil temp
As they said
Highest oil temp they've seen in all the truck they've tested

Not sure how they'd know since most trucks don't have an oil temp gauge 🤔

Just my opinion

Last edited:
Those guys are barley qualified to rate the vehicles they test let alone test an oil. The channel lost my respect when one of the guys deducted points off a truck for having too much chrome on a press truck with the chrome package.

The Jeep Grand Cherokee they tested several years back with the Ecodiesel hit nearly those temps as well (from what I remember).

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
Those guys are barley qualified to rate the vehicles they test let alone test an oil. The channel lost my respect when one of the guys deducted points off a truck for having too much chrome on a press truck with the chrome package.

I actually enjoy their channel, but that sounds ridiculous!

I like SOPUS products, but I went back and read the Q&A on the TSUV oil. I'm quite surprised that the main difference between what makes this oil more suitable for "hard working SUVs etc." is more AO's. It makes me question the ability of PP/PUP on longer, more difficult drain intervals.

Once you put Rotella on a bottle … even their own PUP is now chopped liver with the Tribol leaders.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Once you put Rotella on a bottle … even their own PUP is now chopped liver with the Tribol leaders.

It's crazy how much of a cult following Rotella has.

Highest oil temp they've seen in all the truck they've tested

Not sure how they'd know since most trucks don't have an oil temp gauge 🤔

That's an easy one: If they've only ever _seen_ the oil temp on one pickup, then that one pickup had the highest oil temp they've ever seen!
(-;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back