2019 Lexus RX350 review

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was visiting my uncle and he let me drive his 3 month old 2019 RX350. It's a very handsome car inside and out. He got it all tech-ed out with navi, BSM, LKAS, RCTA, active braking, parking sensors and etc. There were some things that I found to be un-Lexus like, though.

PROS:

- Planted road feel.
- Seats felt like pillows and are the most comfortable I've ever sat in.
- Excellent fit & finish.
- Got caught in an afternoon thunderstorm and the AUTO wipers worked great.
- Good A/C.
- Excellent headlights (I think they were LED).
- Good interior ergonomics. Everything was reachable from the driver's seat.
- Safety tech seemed to work well. LKAS actively nudged me back into my lane a few times.

CONS:

- Odd droning noise. I thought it was the exhaust but IDK.
- We were in stop & go traffic and the idle felt a little rough at times. Not something I'd expect in a brand new Lexus.
- Brake pedal at idle also felt mushy sometimes.
- I could feel the road too much, like the coarseness telegraphed up the steering wheel at highway speeds.
- I expected a Lexus to ride more cushy than this one did. I didn't check the tire pressures but maybe they were set too high.
- Power off the line was bad in ECO mode. Had to mash on the gas to get going as the engine made some unrefined noises.

What tires and what profile? OEM tires often suck.

4WD or 2WD? 4WD much more likely to drone.

Very typical in ECO mode. Best without it engaged.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mclasser
- We were in stop & go traffic and the idle felt a little rough at times. Not something I'd expect in a brand new Lexus

Most Lexus models NEED to run prem.
I made the mistake of trying to run mine on mid grade and that's how it felt.
After switching back to prem, all running irregularities and longer crank times were eliminated (despite being 13 years older).

We had a brand new 2001 RX300 AWD(1st gen '99-'03) and although my wife absolutely love the car, I was never impressed by it.

*Certain things that did impress me about the car, I kinda expected anyway from Lexus.

*Other things that didn't impress me were quite unexpected for a $40+K vehicle(in '01) and I actually found to be disappointing.

Owned a Lexus LS 460 for five years, great car but it did have its issues. I set aside $1,000 a year for unexpected repairs, it was a reliable car but whenever something did break, parts were double what a "normal" car would be.

I agree with running the premium gas - as it is required - that it'll run better and have more pep, however towards the end I think I spent an entire year running regular in it because my commute was so long (500 plus highway miles a week) that I didn't mind the loss of some power out of a V8.

The RX 350's are nice SUV's...they're in a very tough and competitive segment (obviously) but generally Lexus's are well made with some thought put into them. If you're looking for something more exciting, Audi, BMW, Mercedes, are probably where you'll want to look, but keep in mind you'll pay a premium for the extra performance and generally the frequency and seriousness of the repairs are much worse.

Regarding the road feel and coarseness, my step dad had the same problem when his new Lexus was delivered. It turned out they had not adjusted the air pressure in the tires from when the car was shipped. They pump up the pressure to about 60 lbs. before strapping the car down for shipping from Japan and the dealer never adjusted the air pressure.

We have a 2018 RX450h, which is similar except AWD with Toyota Hybrid drivetrain.
Sue sez it gets better mileage than her beloved 2006 TSX 4 banger. We do use crappy 91 CA wannabe premium.
These things are heavy. I don't like ECO mode; too squishy.
Of course I am used to our GS350 F Sport, which is sprung stiffer and is a completely different vehicle.

The RX is a lotta car price wise vs. the competition.
And of course Lexus quality is unsurpassed.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by mclasser
- We were in stop & go traffic and the idle felt a little rough at times. Not something I'd expect in a brand new Lexus

Most Lexus models NEED to run prem.
I made the mistake of trying to run mine on mid grade and that's how it felt.
After switching back to prem, all running irregularities and longer crank times were eliminated (despite being 13 years older).

Exactly, but you are talking to the walmart crowd here
lol.gif

I would guess the engine will smooth out as it wears in like most all do
smile.gif

The Florida retirement standard bearer.

Still cant figure out why all these ret. WWII vets bout Japanese cars!

I think plebeian new cars have improved so much drastically in NVH that the gap between normal and luxury is narrowed so you don't get as dazzled.

Originally Posted by madRiver
I think plebeian new cars have improved so much drastically in NVH that the gap between normal and luxury is narrowed so you don't get as dazzled.

I used to think that too.
That's also what I was led to beleive from all the fancy marketing jargon like "active noise cancelling" tech etc.

After extended time in several rentals from MB, Volvo etc, I've realized that's not actually the case.

I have a 2019 Rx 350 and just had a TSB applied to reflash the ECU to take care of some throttle issues and gear hunting on the 8-speed. The car drives night and day compared to pre-TSB. I tolerated the car before but now I actually like driving it. Much more responsive and the 8-speed is much better sorted now. I very highly recommend everyone with a 2016 and above get this TSB completed.

L-SB-0032-19

Just released July 2, 2019 - most dealers don't even know about it yet.

Originally Posted by PWMDMD
I have a 2019 Rx 350 and just had a TSB applied to reflash the ECU to take care of some throttle issues and gear hunting on the 8-speed. The car drives night and day compared to pre-TSB. I tolerated the car before but now I actually like driving it. Much more responsive and the 8-speed is much better sorted now. I very highly recommend everyone with a 2016 and above get this TSB completed.

L-SB-0032-19

Just released July 2, 2019 - most dealers don't even know about it yet.

That issue is across the board with Toyota AWD vehicles and 8 speed. Hopefully that resolved the issue, but in lot of cases transmission had to be changed.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
We have a 2018 RX450h, which is similar except AWD with Toyota Hybrid drivetrain.
Sue sez it gets better mileage than her beloved 2006 TSX 4 banger. We do use crappy 91 CA wannabe premium.
Of course I am used to our GS350 F Sport, which is sprung stiffer and is a completely different vehicle.

What is the competition? It is Toyota with thicker insulation and better plastic.

Originally Posted by edyvw

What is the competition? It is Toyota with thicker insulation and better plastic.

lol.gif

Originally Posted by Skippy722

lol.gif

When someone mentions luxury in a vehicle with transverse engine, I get a rash on my liver.

Originally Posted by Skippy722

lol.gif

When someone mentions luxury in a vehicle with transverse engine, I get a rash on my liver.

You've said this before, but all you have is "static data". You are under the impression that front engine/transverse vehicles "don't handle as well", when the truth is that there is far more to the equation than just which way the engine is sitting and the F/R weight distribution.

Compare, for example the BMW X3, which has a 50/50 weight distribution (depending on trim level), and a longitudinally mounted engine.

To a CX5, which has nearly 60% of the weight up front, and a transverse mounted engine:

"By the numbers", the BMW should be better able to abruptly change direction at speed...but it just isn't so.

Why?

The BMW has better weight distribution, wider tires, and a longitudinally mounted engine. It should easily have handled superior based on static data. Not so, in reality.

Originally Posted by Ws6

You've said this before, but all you have is "static data". You are under the impression that front engine/transverse vehicles "don't handle as well", when the truth is that there is far more to the equation than just which way the engine is sitting and the F/R weight distribution.

Compare, for example the BMW X3, which has a 50/50 weight distribution (depending on trim level), and a longitudinally mounted engine.

To a CX5, which has nearly 60% of the weight up front, and a transverse mounted engine:

"By the numbers", the BMW should be better able to abruptly change direction at speed...but it just isn't so.

Why?

The BMW has better weight distribution, wider tires, and a longitudinally mounted engine. It should easily have handled superior based on static data. Not so, in reality.

Edyvw you never fail to crack me up lol

But he's right. I loved how my Durango handled, v6 models even have 50/50 weight distribution... and yet it still gets outhandled by pretty much everything in the 3 row crossover segment.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Why?

A X3 is 1,000lbs heavier than a CX-5. If they weighed the same, it would be no contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back