GE Caulk Is Useless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buyer Beware : I had to caulk around the window in the bathroom so I grabbed the GE silicone caulk I use around the tub. Anyway this stuff is like worn out chewing gum. It's like it doesn't bond to itself. A few months ago I bought a new tube of it when I was repairing the gutters on the house. Same thing...worn out chewing gum that never dries.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Was the tube expired?

I just looked and yes it's expired. I thought it was good for many years. The DAP silicone doesn't have an expiration date nor does it say how long it lasts. Now the DAP "Alex Plus" doesn't have an expiration date but says it lasts 40 years.

This and Gorilla glue is something I have learned you can't have a "stash" of - not in a Texas garage that's for sure. In some cases I have bought the small tube and not even messed with the caulk gun knowing that particular type will not get used again for a long time.
I fixed a hot tub leak with fish tank stuff for example.

So you use an expired product and then blame the product?

My guess is that you not only used an expired product, but you also didn't prep the surface. It shouldn't "bond to itself" (old caulking) but it will bond to a properly prepared substrate. Anytime you caulk you have to remove the old caulking.

Originally Posted by Fawteen
So you use an expired product and then blame the product?

My guess is that you not only used an expired product, but you also didn't prep the surface. It shouldn't "bond to itself" (old caulking) but it will bond to a properly prepared substrate. Anytime you caulk you have to remove the old caulking.

Your right....I shouldn't have been surprised by the expired tube. But I bought a new tube months ago that was the same way. When I said "bond to itself" I didn't mean to the old caulk.

When I recaulk wood, I sand it till the old caulk is gone. Then I put some rubbing alcohol on it and let it evaporate for about 30 minutes. By then the wood is dry, clean and roughed up, ready for fresh caulk. Works ever time...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Warstud
Originally Posted by The Critic
Was the tube expired?

I just looked and yes it's expired. I thought it was good for many years. The DAP silicone doesn't have an expiration date nor does it say how long it lasts. Now the DAP "Alex Plus" doesn't have an expiration date but says it lasts 40 years.

GE silicone caulk is one of the best out there, it blows DAP away. They have an expiration date for a reason unfortunately. The 40 years DAP is referring too is how long the cured caulk lasts, good luck with that. IIR GE claimed 50 years at one point, even though the GE product imo is better good luck with it lasting that long too. I've cut open bad tubes of caulking from all brands, and saw it solidified in the tube to the point where it wouldn't come out. If you ever have a problem with caulking again check the product date, or grab another tube.

Originally Posted by 4WD
This and Gorilla glue is something I have learned you can't have a "stash" of - not in a Texas garage that's for sure. In some cases I have bought the small tube and not even messed with the caulk gun knowing that particular type will not get used again for a long time.
I fixed a hot tub leak with fish tank stuff for example.

Agree 100% on trying to stash caulk...I have learned that I shouldn't buy anything that isn't going to get used up in maybe 6 months and that I should just try to buy a small tube intended for hand squeezing rather than a big one that fits in a gun for a small job.
I think GE silicone caulk is fantastic, but it's a lot easier to find DAP around here...I figure that, at this point, either product is likely to outlive me, so I'm not picky about which one I buy.
;^)

The likely case is it maybe did not get a chance to cure properly due to wetness in bathroom. It needs to dry first before it works.

Originally Posted by Colt
Silicone caulk doesn't bond well to silicone caulk.

That's what I always thought / until I did an experiment

I took a 'fresh' tube of GE Silicon Caulk (bought at Home Depot)
Put an amount down to cover 1" x 2"
Next day, another layer
Next day, another layer
Until I had about 5 layers

Once cured, I took a razor blade and sliced it in half and there was 'complete' adhesion between layers.

Conclusion:
Silicon Caulk 'may not' stick to itself if it's old and dirty, BUT
I did confirm if it's new and fresh, there is no problem if you need to build it up to fill a big gap.

I too recently learned that GE caulk has an expiration date. Could figure out why it didn't seem to stick or cure all the way. Finally read the date on the end of the tube and it was a few years old from a previous project. It hadn't dried out or solidified, it just didn't work. Bought a new tube, tried again and that time it worked as advertised.

I just checked the caulking I put around the window and it's the same as when it came out of the tube 12 hours ago. Never dried.

Originally Posted by Warstud
Buyer Beware : I had to caulk around the window in the bathroom so I grabbed the GE silicone caulk I use around the tub. Anyway this stuff is like worn out chewing gum. It's like it doesn't bond to itself. A few months ago I bought a new tube of it when I was repairing the gutters on the house. Same thing...worn out chewing gum that never dries.

Old caulk.

I've never had a problem with GE Silicone caulk if I need to use it. Just pay attention to the expiration date. I prefer polyurethane caulk for outdoor sealing.

Silicone caulk is a RTV, but they release acetic acid or methanol during cure. The stuff used to seal engines uses a different curing mechanism that doesn't release acetic acid that can kill an O2 sensor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back