Supertech vs OEM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was bored so I decided to hack apart an OEM Honda oil filter and a Supertech 6607 since that's what Walmart recommends for my wife's 2013 Honda Fit. I can't believe the filter media size difference! Not sure I would use that small of a filter for any car!

Last picture is the Supertech filter recommended for my 2009 Corolla. Much better quality! OEM filter for comparison.

A9EA7E3C-4610-4729-B8FE-40D8442FE4D6.jpeg

F01765D4-3CAE-4181-A448-DC154EE1D547.jpeg

03BB909E-C36E-41BD-95F3-69C7FEF13EFA.jpeg

73490481-1A8B-48C8-9AF5-C068904A5B5C.jpeg

4FDDE64A-1352-471C-A420-3D08335D3DD1.jpeg

8CA1364F-F640-4905-866D-F9B1DACCC7E5.png

I bought one of the ST10358 filters like yours, but haven't used it yet. The end caps and construction appear identical to Fram Extra Guard 10358 (although media might differ). Center holes of the end caps are a snug fit on the center tube of my spare cap.

Wal-Mart does not make a 7317 equivalent, they use the 6607 for both 6607 and 7317 applications.

Try a Baldwin B1431 or Hastings LF486, they are four inches long, verses three and a half for the 7317...

Last edited:
You could also use a ST9688.

Seems the 7317 is a dying size. Many oil change shops consolidated filters, and use the 6607 for many applications (6607, 7317, 9688, 3693a).
Although the 6607 is smaller, there has been nothing to show that the smaller filter causes any issues.

…..Seems the 7317 is a dying size....
In quick lube, indie, jobber tier filters (like ST), consolidation of 7317 for cost savings seems to be the rule. However as long as the vehicle manufacturers including Honda use it as the spec size, imo I don't believe 7317 application size availability is going away. Unlike the jobbers, the aftermarket still is going to try an offer equivalent to spec size applications. But as noted, the shorty 6607 is frequently used now as substitute for the 7317 and even the 9688 size. It is also the spec size on many/most Nissans.

As for using the 9688 size, many/most newer Honda and Nissan now have diameter restriction of some sort that make using the wider filter (used on older Honda) a no go. 7317 size is the biggest that can be used. While I agree the 6607 size acceptable to use, personally if 7317 or wider 9688 application is spec, using them would be my preference.

Do you know what the efficiency and dirt holding capacity of each is? And isn't a yellow media a synthetic and a brown cellulose? So these may be two filters meant for differing oci's. (5k v. 7.5/10k?)

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Do you know what the efficiency and dirt holding capacity of each is? And isn't a yellow media a synthetic and a brown cellulose? So these may be two filters meant for differing oci's. (5k v. 7.5/10k?)

Well the Honda is basically a Fram ExtraGard in a blue can, so should be 95.7% @ 20 microns.
Supertech says on the box 99% @ 30 microns (but similar Champ made filters say 90% or 93% @ 20 microns).

The Supertech is advertised as a 10,000 mile filter.
Honda is by the OLM, which seems is around 8,000 miles (do they still recommend a filter change every other oil change?).

Originally Posted by blupupher

Well the Honda is basically a Fram ExtraGard in a blue can, so should be 95.7% @ 20 microns.
Supertech says on the box 99% @ 30 microns (but similar Champ made filters say 90% or 93% @ 20 microns).

Honda is by the OLM, which seems is around 8,000 miles (do they still recommend a filter change every other oil change?).

What's the typical sump size for these filters? I wasn't aware ST made a 10k filter. I don't shop them as they don't make one for my ride. Anywho.. the filter has to meet OE spec for flow and efficiency, so I don't see what the issue is here. I have to believe tend of thousands of cars have logged millions of miles on that can without issues. As they say, size isn't everything....‚

Last edited:
The smaller size has been what always shied me away from using ST oil filters but will reconsider them in the future (if I ever run out of MC, Fram, and Federated oil filters, lol). I can get a Fram for $3.75, a MC for about $4 each, an ST for $3, and a Federated for $2.17.

Originally Posted by Mr_Luke
The smaller size has been what always shied me away from using ST oil filters but will reconsider them in the future (if I ever run out of MC, Fram, and Federated oil filters, lol). I can get a Fram for $3.75, a MC for about $4 each, an ST for $3, and a Federated for $2.17.

At those prices it's not like spending the addtl .75c on the Fram is gonna change your way of life. But nice to know you've got so many good options at really good prices.👠(no need to buy bulk from RA to get great pricing)

Last edited:

What's the typical sump size for these filters? I wasn't aware ST made a 10k filter. I don't shop them as they don't make one for my ride. Anywho.. the filter has to meet OE spec for flow and efficiency, so I don't see what the issue is here. I have to believe tend of thousands of cars have logged millions of miles on that can without issues. As they say, size isn't everything....‚

That's interesting as no one knows the flow and efficiency of most OE filters except the OE. So any aftermarket filter can say we meet the specs, because it's only for specs that exist. Like size of thread, bypass yes or no and psi, adbv yes or no, size of can. etc.

Honda still recommends a filter change every other oil change. However, I change mine every time. I have been using TG7317 on my CRV and plan to use UG7317 on my Pilot.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Farnsworth

That's interesting as no one knows the flow and efficiency of most OE filters except the OE. So any aftermarket filter can say we meet the specs, because it's only for specs that exist. Like size of thread, bypass yes or no and psi, adbv yes or no, size of can. etc.

You missed the point entirely.

Try making a filter that doesn't meet the OE spec and see how long you stay in business....‚..The ST filter is made by a reputable company that's been in business a long time, so it meets the spec - trust me.... But if you wanna argue about what we don't know for certain, sure.. I'm your huckleberry....‚

Last edited:
"you missed the point entirely.

Try making a filter that doesn't meet the OE spec and see how long you stay in business."

Actually you missed the point entirely, since it's OK to say that to others now. There aren't any OE manufacturer specs on efficiency and flow for the most part. So aftermarket can say they meet specs, and it doesn't include efficiency and flow because the specs don't exist. Just try to think about it. OE specs means what specs the OE publishes. Like thread size etc. They can absolutely stay in business and say the filter meets OE specs because they do for what is known.

"you missed the point entirely.

Try making a filter that doesn't meet the OE spec and see how long you stay in business."

Actually you missed the point entirely, since it's OK to say that to others now. There aren't any OE manufacturer specs on efficiency and flow for the most part. So aftermarket can say they meet specs, and it doesn't include efficiency and flow because the specs don't exist. Just try to think about it. OE specs means what specs the OE publishes. Like thread size etc. They can absolutely stay in business and say the filter meets OE specs because they do for what is known.

Reverse engineering much ...‚...

I don't suppose you're familiar with the concept of testing an OE filter to ascertain it's performance characteristics...are you? Nah, that would be crazy for an aftermarket filter mfg to actually want to make sure their filter doesn't destroy an $10k engine or tranny, because it starved it of fluid/air. Fyi, that test data is the aftermarket mfgs "cya" in the event the car mfg attempts to deny a warranty claim citing the aftermarket filter as the culprit.

Last edited:
And engine mfgs do share specs with aftermarket mfgs, who do you think makes those OE cans?.. Honda?.. nope, an aftermarket filter mfg does. And the last thing a car company wants is a bunch of engine failures because they didn't share specs. Also, keeping those specs proprietary could potentially violate the Magnuson - Moss Act, as it would require the consumer to purchase the filter from the car mfg to insure warranty compliance - that's called a "tie-in" sale and specifically prohibited.

There aren't any OE manufacturer specs on efficiency and flow for the most part. So aftermarket can say they meet specs, and it doesn't include efficiency and flow because the specs don't exist. Just try to think about it. OE specs means what specs the OE publishes. Like thread size etc. They can absolutely stay in business and say the filter meets OE specs because they do for what is known.

Some OEM specs might be "confidential" and not published for everyone to see, but if an oil filter company works with the OEM they may be able to get the OEM specs (whatever they are) by sighing a non-disclosure agreement.

As you know, USCAR-36 was written by the 3 big US auto makers to set minimum standards for aftermarket oil filter makers ... that's about a close to OEM published standards as you will find. And if an aftermarket oil filter maker follows USCAR-36 then their filters will most likely "meet OEM specs".

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
There aren't any OE manufacturer specs on efficiency and flow for the most part. So aftermarket can say they meet specs, and it doesn't include efficiency and flow because the specs don't exist. Just try to think about it. OE specs means what specs the OE publishes. Like thread size etc. They can absolutely stay in business and say the filter meets OE specs because they do for what is known.

Some OEM specs might be "confidential" and not published for everyone to see, but if an oil filter company works with the OEM they may be able to get the OEM specs (whatever they are) by sighing a non-disclosure agreement.

As you know, USCAR-36 was written by the 3 big US auto makers to set minimum standards for aftermarket oil filter makers ... that's about a close to OEM published standards as you will find. And if an aftermarket oil filter maker follows USCAR-36 then their filters will most likely "meet OEM specs".

Right, and I would think if the engine builders have a "special" spec, they've gotta share that with whomever is making the OE filter. And today that mfg could be company XYZ and next year someone else could pick up the contract to make the OE filter and all the relevant info is once again disclosed. I just don't see there being any benefit to a car mfg sitting on that info as if it's a map to the Holy Grail....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back