early OCI because of HIGH REVVING

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by tahoe_hybrid
it has Active Fuel Management so that is why i'm worried a bit
I use chevron or Mobil 91 octane
so knocking or pre detonation is not really a issue

know AFM does not play nice with bad oil or "used up" oil..

The highest RPM i normally do is 2500RPM from a STOP SIGN Freeway entrance other wise I keep it 1000 to 1600 rpm under normal driving conditions(sometimes 1800rpm, that will do AFM @80MPH @ 1800RPM on flat land)

You might actually do better to get the revs up once in a while. Driving within normal operating range unless you're flooring and redlining it constantly isn't going to hurt anything. My wife's Versa with the 5-speed does 3500-4,000 rpm just cruising along on the freeway in fifth. It probably spends the majority of its time between 3-4k and I just give it Supertech synthetic every 5k. Has about 80k miles on it with no issues.

OP needs to plan his WOT runs in advance and put in Red Line oil right before hand, maybe at the stop light before the freeway on ramp. But it only works at high RPMs; let the revs get too low for too long and you'll grenade your engine. Then change it out for regular oil when you're ready to resume normal driving. Preferably on the side of the freeway.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tiger862
I love your records but only true way is fill up over thousands of miles

http://www.fuelly.com/car/dodge/grand_caravan/2018/rtoney862/847880

So between midgrade and regular I get an extra 20 miles so I cost me more. I can save and lose 1 mpg. It is 6.00 more to fill and get 1 mpg so it is a loss.

I rented a Dodge scare-avan
i got 24MPG over 900 miles trip
4 banger
it had really bad tail wage though.

I was going quite FAST though 60 to 115MPH

the fuel brand matters the most best results with chevron.. mobil 91 is a close second but i prefer chevron fuel

it looks like i got a perfect batch as the engine is enjoying the fresh 9 gallons i put in... and for sure gave me the correct gas 91 octane

I notice less down shifting to 3rd gear when using 91 compared to 87 octane the extra power is worth it .. the cost does not bother me at all since i save more(spending .30cent more a gallon ) getting 22-25mpg with 91 octane
then getting 18.5MPG highway with 87 octane

i go by the cost per mile.

3.399 = 0.183 Per mile 87octane =
$4.575 to go 25 miles on the highway

0.15 cent per miles 91
= cost 3.759 to go 25 miles on the highway

these are current prices

so i save 75 cents per gallon by paying more off the bat

This is a V8 engine so running 3500 rpm is if your TOWing something

even if i got 10MPG that is average for a 6.0 Vortec engine

so getting 237% more then the average Vortec 6.0L :)

Last edited:

I rented a Dodge scare-avan
i got 24MPG over 900 miles trip
4 banger
it had really bad tail wage though.

I was going quite FAST though 60 to 115MPH

How long ago was that? I'm genuinely curious, they haven't used 4 bangers in those in a long time. But yes, they're not very happy above 80 in anything except a straight line.

about a year and 1/2 ago it was a low mileage one with 4,000 miles or so

but with some payload about 200 pounds

in the back the tail wag was bad at 65mph(hit a bit of traffic) it was near big rigs it was quite unstable barely was able to keep it on the road... Yes it was loaded correctly with the heavy stuff in front

Last edited:
According to your fuelly it cost you 18 cents a mile. It is almost impossible to get 25 mile runs accurately unless you top off at same station, same temp,etc
That is why I stated you need more complete data. Filling up with multiple tanks will give you about as complete data as possible without being in a controlled environment. With that being said my cost per mile is 11 cents a mile.

but with some payload about 200 pounds

in the back the tail wag was bad at 65mph(hit a bit of traffic) it was near big rigs it was quite unstable barely was able to keep it on the road... Yes it was loaded correctly with the heavy stuff in front

Hmm, your passenger?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back