2005 Ford Ranger extended cab FX4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took a walk and saw this green one for sale. Claims Auto, snap on type bed cover. Alloy wheels. Seems real straight. Left a message.
asking $8,000.

Just got in from the walk and have done NO research except to know I can use a truck. And yes, it's ironic that the trucklettes drink almost the same amount of fuel as their big brothers.

Any broad plusses and minuses on these things?

Seems over priced by at least $3000 to $4000, I'm guessing. I have a decent 2006 GMC 1500 4x4 full size with a V8 that I would sell for $5000 or $6000.and it's newer and more capable.

Nice 4x4 Rangers bring good money. Those with lower miles bring crazy money.
Originally Posted by bubbatime
Seems over priced by at least $3000 to $4000, I'm guessing. I have a decent 2006 GMC 1500 4x4 full size with a V8 that I would sell for $5000 or $6000.and it's newer and more capable.

Nice 4x4 Rangers bring good money. Those with lower miles bring crazy money. Lot of people would prefer the compact pickup over full size for a daily driver. Easier to park and maneuver.

True on compact trucks

Regardless of price, the top side is not what you want to look @; All these rangers and b series (and I own one) suffer from horrible corrosion underneath; craigslist seems to be loaded with ones with cracked
frames. You might think, "How bad can it be?" I live in the warmest area of CT and the magnesium and calcium chloride has accelerated corrosion. It can be bad.

I posted a few years ago how the differential cover rusted thru in 9 years.

I just picked up a 2008 for a much better price this summer. I have posted photos on site as requested.

If it is a NY vehicle be sure you have the frame checked out. Some will not pass inspection. If you look on "for sale" marketplaces, you'll see ads for Ranger owners parting out due to such issue.

I'm enjoying mine. Although I am almost through replacing fluids to get a baseline @ 75k, the previous owner's maintenance was dealership then Indy shop documented.
Ask the seller for records.

A good indicator is the quality of the bed. Do not get tricked by a bed liner.

2005 FX4= 2002 and older "off road package"

fx4 level 2= goodies some of which are worthless now(15 year old bilstien shocks?)

but a fx4 level 2 should also have a torsen limited slip which is highly regarded and not clutch based so it doesnt wear out.
also I cant remember if the fx4 came with all the skid plates or not..

Had 2 of them a 2002 and a 2005. If the frame is in good shape thats a $5000(possibly more) truck anyday of the week around here.

if its not the level 2 fx4 it will have a clutch based limited slip-- which probably needs rebuilt.

Almost 15 years old with 90K miles in the heart of the ice/snow/salt belt for $8,000? Not a chance. I can find those around here (never seen snow, ice or salt) for half that.

Originally Posted by Fawteen
Almost 15 years old with 90K miles in the heart of the ice/snow/salt belt for $8,000? Not a chance. I can find those around here (never seen snow, ice or salt) for half that.

Alright, bet!

Let's see a link to a 15 year old non salvage title Ford Ranger 4x4 with less than 90k miles in AL for $4k or less.

Definitely over priced. They can be good trucks but the undersides always like to rot out especially the rear portion of the frame. I own a 98 ranger so i have experience with said issues.

Originally Posted by Fawteen

Not a 4x4 with that kind of miles. 4x4 Rangers are hard to find here, especially in good condition with low miles. The vast majority are 2WD, and most in the $4K range will have a bunch of miles or be older than 2005.

If the truck is very clean underneath, they may well get $8K for it. Might not have been up there very long.

KBB says my 2006 with 80k miles is worth $8k so....
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back