Pennzoil Start/Stop Protection 0W-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some will say "cling" bling - but I had a bad event with Magnatec - so ordered some PG for my truck since it stays parked for weeks at a time.
(think it's around 40/60 syn/dino) Ester based is just so expensive = wow.
For our Hybrid - past 100k started using a grade up in M1 EP (20>>30) - but it's a DD anyway.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 4WD

Some will say "cling" bling - but I had a bad event with Magnatec - so ordered some PG for my truck since it stays parked for weeks at a time.
For our Hybrid - past 100k started using a grade up in M1 EP (20>>30) - but it's a DD anyway.

What exactly defines a "bad event" with an engine oil? I am curious...

Originally Posted by The Critic
https://www.shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en/79fa8592-b838-4d24-a733-ea60a48ea429.pdf

TDS is from May 2019 so this is a relatively recent product.

Does anyone want to speculate on what makes an oil more suitable for start/stop applications?

That's a sky high VI for a off the shelf pcmo.. it's a 0w20, so if I had to guess it's got a healthy dose of esters?? As for start/stop...are they saying stop as in idling or stop as in shutdown? All oil leaves behind a film, so maybe the film strength of this product is "superior"?...or maybe it's the amounts and types of AW/EP additives they use that protect the engine during dry starts??..dunno.

Originally Posted by 4WD

I think after 2k he checked the oil and it looks like a charred corn dog on the dipstick

Originally Posted by 4WD

I wanna know too

Oxidation only 3k into the OCI. Unplanned change of 5w20 CM that came out thick and lumpy and coal black from an engine that normally was changed at 5k with QSUD or M1 and the oil was normally thin and brown. (port injected NA V6). Took car to dealer to make sure it was not EGR or whatever - it was fine.

Originally Posted by Trav
Advertising spin IMO.
Or else they're implying their latest regular 0W-20 (or 5W-20, which I'm using) is inadequate for start-stop applications?

VI is well above regular 0W-20 PP, but still far below TGMO.

High VI. Shell is a top notch formulator. PP/PUP are both excellent oils, if you can look past the marketing. Both perform very well in the SeqIIIH and IVA.

What I'm seeing based off the PDS's is that the chemistry, for the most part, is identical due to the same claims being made across the PP/PUP line up (unsurpassed wear via the IVA and 50%-60% cleaner pistons based on GF-5/IIIG). *So these oils look like they are basing these claims on viscosity and VI.

Originally Posted by CR94
Advertising spin IMO.
Or else they're implying their latest regular 0W-20 (or 5W-20, which I'm using) is inadequate for start-stop applications?

Originally Posted by CR94
Advertising spin IMO.

The VI is identical to regular PP 0W-20:

https://www.shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en-US/cc51c15a-3de3-4ac2-9b30-caa71a9fe89b.pdf

simply turn off start-stop everytime if possible or never buy a vehicle with it or a CVT!! lots of advertising "fluff" these days but in the end when your warranty is gone its your $$$$$

The VI is identical to regular PP 0W-20:

https://www.shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en-US/cc51c15a-3de3-4ac2-9b30-caa71a9fe89b.pdf

Maybe Trav is right, it's a marketing verbiage thing to get people excited about a "new" oil??🤔

(fwiw, still a high VI and the highest I can see for an off the shelf.. it's at/over 10pts higher than M1 AFE, Valvoline SynPower, Castrol Edge Extended & Magnatec, ~+20pts over Havoline, QSUD and regular Catrol Edge 0w20's)

Do we have a winner?...‚

Last edited:
Okay, so how is this different than PP 0W-20? What a joke lol, I don't imagine it being a hot seller, since it will cost more than standard PP likely for no difference in performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back