Daughter just bought 2015 Kia Forte5

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter just purchased a used 2015 Kia Forte5 with the 1.6 l turbo engine. Has anyone had experience with these engines? How reliable are they? I have never done maintenance on a turbo vehicle. I have an Kia Optima and am hoping that the Forte5 uses the same oil filter .

There have been a recall on a bunch of those engines in various KIA[s. You'll have to do a search on NSTB to see if yours is included, or perhaps check with local KIA dealer.

I don't see the Forte with the 1.6L engine in that article.

I don't hear much about that engine which is a good thing in my book.

I would use 5W-20 PP (that's my go to) and definitely use the OE KIA filter. Its robust and and any time the filter is cut open, the media looks really good.

KIA recommends 6,000 km oil change intervals for Canada.

The early 1.6T's had issues with LSPI and also had weak connecting rods and a different piston design. I think Hyundai revised it and 2014 and onward model years have a much lower incidence of issues.
If the car is a stick, make sure she doesn't lug the engine.

Hyundai placed the drain plug at the very front of the oil pan. As such, you can only drain all of the motor oil out of this particular engine if the vehicle is level.
I just bought an Elantra Sport with the same engine and happened to notice that. I had the car on ramps, jacked it up in the rear and I'm guessing another 1/2 pint
came out.

Danno is incorrect about 5W20. In the owners manual, the two oil viscosity choices by Hyundai/Kia in turbo engines are 5W30 and 5W40. The engine holds 4.8 quarts or 4.54 litre's.
The problem with 5W40 is that many are full saps formulations with a high TBN and are not ideal for LSPI prone engines.

Love these posts-this is what someone bought-will there be issues. Seems to me should have been asked before the purchase. Cars are not covered for "buyers remorse" for what ever reason in any state.

Unless your other car is a Delorean with some very exclusive mods, you are a little late in seeking this info.

Originally Posted by CKN
Seems to me should have been asked before the purchase.

Pfft, ain't nobody got time for dat!
06.gif

Originally Posted by CKN
Love these posts-this is what someone bought-will there be issues. Seems to me should have been asked before the purchase. Cars are not covered for "buyers remorse" for what ever reason in any state.

As I mentioned, I did not make the purchase , my daughter did. She wanted a hatchback and I recommend the Mazda 3. She didn't like that car so she bought a Forte5. Thanks to those with constructive answers. I looked up the owners manual last night online and skyactiv is correct with his oil recommendations. Thank you.

Originally Posted by CKN

The father likely had no influence in his likely adult daughters purchase. He's just asking about the vehicle since he performs for her not expecting to be judged by the peanut gallery.

I've found the forte to be the best driving car in the compact segment. everything seemed to work just right.
I have not driven the newer platform though.

All she needs is good luck.

Was this a Rental or lease or hit?

That Mazda TV ad is enough to keep any guy out of a Mazda dealership!

My Mazda experience has not been good. Though this was back under Ford partnership.

Last edited:
Same boat here, my daughter bought a new 2016 Forte5 SX Turbo AT on her own. So far after 25k miles no issues. The TGDI 1.6L motors from KIA/Hyundai seem pretty durable. The front facing oil drain plug is a pita! I drive up on four 2x4's to get some ground clearance and keep the car level. Best oil & filter combo so far has been QSUD 5-30 and an OE filter, motor is the smoothest and quietest on those two.

I feel the pain regarding kids not listening or even seeking advice.

My youngest daughter did ask and bought something she could pay for in cash, a 2005 Ford Escape.

My oldest showed me pictures of the new Fiat 500 she just bought.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
I've found the forte to be the best driving car in the compact segment. everything seemed to work just right.
I have not driven the newer platform though.

All she needs is good luck.

Was this a Rental or lease or hit?

That Mazda TV ad is enough to keep any guy out of a Mazda dealership!

My Mazda experience has not been good. Though this was back under Ford partnership.

She liked the ergonomics of it. Everything just seemed to fit for her. The car was traded in on a 2019 model. Myself, I am glad it is not the CTV but that is just me. She had a 2007 Mazda 3 but was having intermittent starting problems with it that could not be resolved by my mechanic or the dealership. One day it would start, the next day nothing. No codes either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back