Pennzoil Ultra Platinum enigma

Bumping an old thread. Seems Pennzoil finally decided to distribute their UP a bit better. At least to Amazon

About $30 for a gallon. Not nearly as much as before. I picked up a couple.

Last edited:
I'm over Pennzoil completely except for Qsud and that is only if Castrol MAGNATEC can't be had. Right now I'm not using any but it's almost easier to get redline oil than pup. When it first came out I was ultra excited but poor distributor choices and artificially driving the price out of proportion was the deal breaker. At over 9.99 qt msrp.. What is 1.50 more for a true synthetic??

This is unbelievable...went to the Pennzoil website and the PUP 5W30 PDS that is linked to there is from 2014!
What the heck?!??! Fire that webmaster...

Anyway, I used the Shell PDS lookup page and found one from 2019 for that product...PUP 5W30 is now SN Plus.
I would assume that it has been reformulated for this, but that's just a guess...

https://www.shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en-US/4097c6c6-15fe-45dc-9a11-27460cbbc079.pdf

That's the only grade of this oil that I really care about, didn't look up the others.

Back about a month ago, it was on sale at both Walmart and Amazon for 19.99 thereabouts. I bought a jug and will use it in the next interval.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Is it really better than Pennzoil Platinum?

On paper it may be? I notice zero on anything better in my setups using it. It could be just plain jane PPin a jug that has no tamper seal on it?

So at the moment Walmart.com doesn't have any 5W-30 PP in 5-quart jugs but it's selling 5W-30 PUP for $19.99 in 5-quart jugs and Amazon has 5-quart 5W-30 PP for $27.99 and PUP for $19.99.

What is going on in the world?

I was going to just buy a bunch of PP and stock up but at $19.99/5-Quart is there any reason to not buy a bunch of PUP instead?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Joenpb
I found PUP on Amazon cheap, and had it delivered.

This is an interesting video. Lots of good oils.

Interesting video!

Truthfully, I am not surprised at all with the findings regarding Mobil-1 oil. Like I have said all along, I think it is overpriced/overrated for what you actually get. Will your car engine grenade using it? No, that is highly unlikely, but, personally, I like getting value for my dollar so that is why I will continue to use Pennzoil products when I can.
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PWMDMD
I was going to just buy a bunch of PP and stock up but at $19.99/5-Quart is there any reason to not buy a bunch of PUP instead?

I don't believe so, PUP is good oil, and its likely being discounted to exhaust stock before the next new offering. Which might be why it doesn't have all the certifications. They probably feel why pay for certifications when a new formula is going to replace it before long.

Originally Posted by wemay
What about this oil frustrates you most?

a. hard to find in stores
b. no more Noack info
c. no dexos cert
d. not labelled as an extended drain oil
f. what makes it better than Platinum

I just bought some on Amazon for $24 ea. w/free shipping. Decent deal.

If it were available at Walmart, or even AZ, I'd likely try it. It's a top notch oil for sure, but Shell doesn't move much of it.

PUP OEM specifications:

Chrysler MS-6395 (SAE 0W-20, SAE 5W-20, SAE 5W-30, SAE 10W-30)
Chrysler MS12633 (SRT) (SAE 0W-40)
GM dexos1â„¢ Certification (SAE 0W-20, SAE 5W-20, SAE 5W-30)
GM 4718M (Corvette and Cadillac) (SAE 5W-30, SAE 10W-30)
GM 6094M (SAE 5W-20, SAE 5W-30, SAE 10W-30)
Ford WSS-M2C930-A and WSS-M2C945-A (SAE 5W-20)
Ford WSS-M2C929-A and WSS-M2C946-A (SAE 5W-30)
Ford WSS-M2C947-A (SAE 0W-20)
Honda/Acura HTO-06 (SAE 5W-30)

Listed under the specifications tab.

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum

What gets my attention is:

1. Keeps pistons up to 65% cleaner that competition - the initial claim

2. Keeps pistons up to 65% cleaner than required by the toughest industry standards - current on some PDS.

3. Keeps pistons up to 40% cleaner than required by the toughest industry - current on 0W-40 PDS with the same footnote reference to the same test on the same 5W-30.

There is a discrepancy somewhere..

Originally Posted by Direct_Rejection
Don't forget that PUP is easily obtained at walmart.com.

It is? I don't recall seeing it there.

Originally Posted by buster
Originally Posted by Direct_Rejection
Don't forget that PUP is easily obtained at walmart.com.

It is? I don't recall seeing it there.

It is there, bro...in your flavor, and at your price. In store pu or delivered to your porch.

My only issue is the non-sealed spout, one small reason for my current choice. Beware of porch pirates.

None of my business, but I would consider PUP 10W30 for the Frontier, as GTL has pretty good cold start properties. Of course who can argue with M1 EP ?

*For a GDI non - turbo engine , I assume this version of PUP would not be such a great choice ?

Back