Jobs and social interaction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course we work to make money for things in life but what about social interaction reasons?

Does your job give you lots of social interaction? Do you hang out with co workers?

Currently my main part time job does give me just enough social interaction. I consider myself a loner mostly and don't really socialize with others when not working. It made me think what I will do when I finally stop working.

How about you guys?

I did *not* socialize for several years on the job, I shut up and did my job, quietly.

Now I go some seniority, I will bring up Trump happenings with Co-workers, but there is a fine limit of subjects you do not cross. You still got to do your job.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ZZman
Of course we work to make money for things in life but what about social interaction reasons?

Does your job give you lots of social interaction? Do you hang out with co workers?

Currently my main part time job does give me just enough social interaction. I consider myself a loner mostly and don't really socialize with others when not working. It made me think what I will do when I finally stop working.

How about you guys?

My job is extremely social.

I do not see or hang out with co-workers outside of work (with the rare exception of having dated 3 co-workers in the span of a decade, all of which ended maturely and resulted in friendships afterwards), and my job is also why I avoid other people/groups/crowds outside of work.

Unfortunately, in today's world dealing with co workers (especially opposite sex or different sexual orientations) has become hazardous to one's employment. Best behavior is mandatory it would seem. Difficult times and socializing with co workers would seem to add fuel to any potential fires.

As a custom business application software developer (process automation and analytics), communication is critical; it is the only thing that counts.
The programming is the easy part.
I tend to develop deep relationships with the people I work with.

I've had only one job where my coworkers and I got along well at the job and off the job. In fact, I haven't worked there for over 20 years and we're still good friends.

My current job - nope. It's hard enough to remain civil with some of the people I have to deal with during the day; I can't see any off-the-job interaction ending well.

Chemistry is super important, but you have to have things in common or be similar ages.

I started a new job about six weeks ago where the youngest is 28, I am 30 and the other two are 36 and 38. We are millenials and get along great, we all smoke weed and make simpsons references. I'm actually the only one who doesn't grow weed at home, lol. The only time I have had better chemistry at a job is when I was working fast food in university. 3/4 of us are new employees so I guess we are eager to please and be pleased to an extent.

It's really hard/awkward to take a friend you met at school or work and hang out with them outside of that context. It has to happen slowly and organically and it can threaten the relationship you have at work. Sometimes it really is better to keep is casual/professional, although making new friends when you are old is a lot harder than when you are young.

We have our little clique at work. We have lunch together and go on the occasional business trip and we socialize outside of work a few times a year. You often spend more time with work people than home people. Might as well make it as pleasant as possible.

I work 100% remote and miss the in office social part. I lead a cloud application technical group across North and South America and enjoy the video conferencing but obviously no socialization with them.

Last edited:
There is just 2 of us at my job. I don't like dealing with customers because I get anxious around strangers and hate stopping what I'm doing to answer the phone. But I do it if my boss can't. Off the clock we don't talk much unless one of us has a problem.

And to add. My customers are already having a bad day,their car is broke. Often they already took it somewhere else and got ripped off. Now they take it out on us. My boss handles this with style.

I don't.

One of our clients (geographically spread) seems to spend first 5-10 mins of every call socially.

The company who is massive(450k employees) fosters this as a team builder and lets it happen.

Last edited:
I don't really have a "job", having retired 17+ years ago. But in my main hobby for which I'm well compensated, and my wife is there being compensated too, we have lots of friends. So it's mostly hanging out with friends, with periods of intense scrutiny and hard work thrown in.

My boss has a family Halloween party every year and always asks me if I want to attend. I politely decline as I only know him and his wife and son and daughters and they have up to 100 members attend every year. I would not feel comfortable at all being there not knowing the majority of them. As far as co-workers, no interaction with them outside of work.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
I work alone and don't need any interaction from ‘coworkers'.

Less problems, stress and drama that way.

How did you survive in the Military?

I know on Submarines it is very important to the point where if you don't like someone you focus on one thing you like about them to get by.
There is no place to get away from anyone when you live and work in the same place.

I work at Subase Bangor as a civilian now. We are pretty tight as a whole. Large command Christmas Party, Summer Picnic.
Lots of vets and people who never served worked there and we are very social.

We hang out from time to time, gets drink and plan stuff together. Maybe it is because of the nature of the work we do. We keep it pretty social.

Last edited:
Working in the modern environment that has come to be dominated by social media has changed everything.

It's not what you know.
It's who you know.
And what part of their anatomy you kiss.

Last edited:
When I was in regular security you had to stay away from the chit-chat.. to much drama. Now in our little section there's 4 of us. 54, 45, 39(me) and 30 year old.. 3 white guys and 1 black guy.. we get along great to say the least. We don't hang out after hours because that's mostly what we do all day. There isn't anything we don't discuss... from our wives to politics usually just the wives. It's the only reason I haven't moved on to better pay. Good coworkers and relationships are hard to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back