Broke down and bought a Econobox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
2015 Ford Escape S 2.5L. My Jeep has over 200k miles now and is going to be semi-retired. I am keeping it for my trips the the desert and to get me out into the hills. I found the Escape on Truecar.com for a good price. One owner and dealer serviced since new.
I have been needing a commuter for quite some time and this will work okay for me.

IMG_20190824_202754647.jpg

Originally Posted by AZjeff
That's a cute ute with a bit of attitude with the black wheels. Should be a decent commuter. An econobox is a Yaris or Versa or Soul or Aveo.

Agreed

Originally Posted by daves87rs
That's a cute ute with a bit of attitude with the black wheels. Should be a decent commuter. An econobox is a Yaris or Versa or Soul or Aveo.

Agreed

+++ Nice ride, yes - had a rainbow haired woman in a chartreuse Soul flip me off in Austin coming home with my new truck - that's an ecommy box

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Congratulations on finding a non-turbo!
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks Everyone! Yes, Finding one that was clean and well maintained with a 2.5 was a task for sure. I was no way buying one with a 1.5 or 1.6 turbo.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
That's not an econobox! A Fiesta, that's an econobox.

I was expecting a Fiesta, but it was an Escape. "Econobox" is more like an EcoSport. But It's really all relative.

O.P. - Good looking ride!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by MParr
Good choice. You were smart in not buying one with the 1.6T or 1.5T.

I haven't owned a Ford in decades. What are the issues with turbo engines? I figured they learned something from Volvo.

Last edited:

Almost every modern car comes with A/C, cruise control and power windows. That used to be LUXURY car stuff ... !

I recently drove a Honda Fit equipped with NAV, heated leather seats, sunroof, A/C, adaptive cruise control, rear-view camera, power windows, and alloy wheels. Is that still considered an econobox ?

It came with Sync and a Back up camera standard equipment. I'm sure the previous owner added the wheels. The surprising thing is that I am 6'2" 280# and am very comfortable in it. The front seats and steering wheel have a ton of adjustment in them. The 6 speaker stereo sounds great. I am used to my V8 Jeeps fuel consumption and this thing put a smile on my face at the pumps. My Hot Rodding days are over and the 2.5 does the job well. I have nothing against turbos but the 1.5 and 1.6 are a joke. I might have opted for the 2.0 but they are rare. My first fluid change will be the trans. I see they are very simple to service.

Originally Posted by Cressida
Originally Posted by MParr
Good choice. You were smart in not buying one with the 1.6T or 1.5T.

I haven't owned a Ford in decades. What are the issues with turbo engines? I figured they learned something from Volvo.

My 1.6 EB has been flawless for it's first 20K miles/3 years of life, and it really surprises most out there with it's unexpected quickness, so yeah, I just don't 'get' all of the naysayers. :shrug;

(Yes, I know that most on this site could not give a **** about any actual performance at all, so maybe that's their rationale??)

May be more like wee engines with lots of boost are more highly stressed than larger N/A engines so there's naturally some caution about them?

20k miles in 3 years doesn't tell you much about reliability unless you're flogging the spit out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back