Loving 215/65/17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our 2018 Tiguan SE (one model above base) is due for new tires before snow flies as factory tired are well worn for 41k and winter traction. This size gives an amazing smooth and quiet ride and relatively inexpensive replacement cost.

I had the chance of driving an upper Tiguan model($10k more) with 20" 40 series and it was loud, rode rougher and noticed replacement cost of tires approaches double.

This vehicle is my first with >55 series tires and beyond happy or just getting old.

The sporty low profile tire sizes used on many new vehicles sucks. The freeze-thaw cycle of living in the Midwest takes a toll on the roads.
The new Corolla SE as an example uses a 225/40/18, the same size as my GTI and Elantra Sport. Why does a slow Corolla need such tires?
Why does my GTI and Elantra need such a size for that matter?
I have bent three wheels on the GTI and had them repaired here: https://wheelmedic.com/ I expect to eventually bend wheel(s) on the Elantra.

My '02 V70 had 65 series tires on 15" wheels.

Apparently not cool enough for many

My '07 V70 has 55 series tires on 16" wheels.

A gas station near me has an abandoned '02 with my old 15" wheels. I'm working him now.

I have 4 mounted snows on 16" Volvo steelies with Volvo wheel-covers and I so want to trade.

GOOD used 15" tires (like for my trailer or older Mustang) are nearly nonexistent.

16's are the new 15..... (for availability and cost).

I miss the days when I could get a nice GOOD used tire mounted and balanced for $15, out the door.

^ Used tires in general got stupid once people started flipping them on craigslist. There used to be shame attached, now it's the new normal.

I've switched to lower tier new from ebay, WM or amazon.

If I can ever find a set of rust free 5 spoke 16'' subaru wheels, I'll probably end up downgrading it to 16s when the OE tires wear out. It has 225/60-17 on it now, which aren't terrible, but I do prefer the ride of the 16'' snow tires I have when it comes to gravel roads and such. I'll go with 215/70-16 or 225/65-16 on the 3 season set. I do use it as a Forester should be used, so the 16s would be a nice upgrade for the seasonal highways and light trails it sees on camping trips.

Originally Posted by madRiver
Our 2018 Tiguan SE (one model above base) is due for new tires before snow flies as factory tired are well worn for 41k and winter traction. This size gives an amazing smooth and quiet ride and relatively inexpensive replacement cost.

I had the chance of driving an upper Tiguan model($10k more) with 20" 40 series and it was loud, rode rougher and noticed replacement cost of tires approaches double.

This vehicle is my first with >55 series tires and beyond happy or just getting old.

Tire choice is everything. But, some odd sizes means less choice.

on my 16, I could have gotten the SEL, but wasn't a fan of the tire replacement for 255/40r19 tires, so I stuck with the SE, with 235/50r18, which has a good compromise of looks and cost.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]lake Isabella camping by thisistan, on Flickr

But, winters, I go down to 16" steelies with 215/65r16 tires (you don't have the factory steelie option).

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]20190221_171230 by thisistan, on Flickr

Originally Posted by skyactiv
The sporty low profile tire sizes used on many new vehicles sucks. The freeze-thaw cycle of living in the Midwest takes a toll on the roads.
The new Corolla SE as an example uses a 225/40/18, the same size as my GTI and Elantra Sport. Why does a slow Corolla need such tires?
Why does my GTI and Elantra need such a size for that matter?
I have bent three wheels on the GTI and had them repaired here: https://wheelmedic.com/ I expect to eventually bend wheel(s) on the Elantra.

My old co-worker used to go through bent aluminum VW rims regularly on his Jetta Sportwagen, and this was only with 205/55r16 tires. Then he switched to steelies and never had issues again.

So, even with "thick enough" sidewalls, with poor metallurgy, still can get easily damaged.

Why does a Corolla SE have 225/40r18? Because it is the "Sporty" corolla, and I use the word "Sporty" loosely.

I like this tire size for the Tiguan. On the 2019 VW got so cheap that they put Giti tires on!

Originally Posted by dishdude
I like this tire size for the Tiguan. On the 2019 VW got so cheap that they put Giti tires on!

That's only for the 215/65r17. The 18" and tire gets different manufacturers, such as Continental ProContact TX, Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S, Bridgestone Ecopia, etc

In Europe, you can get Macan's with Nexen tires.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back