STUMPED (2002 BMW X5)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend's 2002 BMW X5 has a DEAD battery I believe it has a broken bridge as a jump has no effect.
No horn, no nothin'....ZERO passage of electricity.

There's no key hole in the rear hatch so I cannot see how to get to the battery.

I flattened the rear seats, climbed back there and there was no inside, rear hatch release handle (as if there was a third seat).

Then I lifted the rear floor but was blocked by it. Do I need to break it to get to the battery?

The battery could be under the rear seat. I just don't know.

Is it possible to open the rear hatch?

Carefully back feed feed the alternator, starter or fuse buss. Ground or negative to chassis from the jumper cables and positive to the positive unswitched buss at a fuse box or the big cable at the starter or the big positive cable on the alternator. This should give you the power needed to pop the tailgate. Careful.

Last edited:
Have you tried charging from the booster ports under the hood? This should at least give you some accessory power to pop the trunk. Sometimes in order to trick the charger and force a charge on a completely dead battery, Ill hook another battery up to the car and hook the charger up. This will get the charger going, and a half hour later Ill pull the god battery off, and the charger usually does the rest.

Last edited:
There are jumper terminals on the driver side under the hood closer to the firewall, red and black.

Battery is in the rear on the passenger side under a cover plate.

[Linked Image from bimmerboard.com]

[Linked Image from bimmerboard.com]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back