Should I use a wash and wax for maintenance washes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been wondering this for a while now. Would it be a good idea, after a "proper" wash and wax, to use a wash and wax product for maintenence washes to help maximize the lifespan and protection of my buffed on wax underneath? Right now I use Meg's Gold Class wash and I have a good coat of Colinite 845 on the car, but if I can make it all last longer (especially with our ferocious winters around here) it seems like it'd be a great idea.

Also, I don't have a garage. Do these products help reduce water spotting?

I have brought this up in two forums. At Meguiars even the Meguiars employees who respond to this question suggest that a wash & wax really isn't going to do much for the wax job. I asked the same question at Mothers forum, and an employee said the same thing--to use a wax as you dry, spray-on product instead if you want to extend the life of the wax job. When the employees are saying that this isn't a good product for this purpose, then I tend to believe them.

If this wasn't the case, I'd love to use a wash & wax product, as both of these cars are too big for me to wash, dry, & then apply a wax layer to the entire surface, before it gets too hot.

IMO, the difference between the two are:

Spray Wax = thinner wax than even the liquid waxes. In this order...Paste, Liquid, Spray. The spray wax(s) may in fact be a silicone or wax based product and do offer some level of protection, shine & longevity and may leave white residue in the process. But, probably not the level of protection of a full past wax(wax or silicone).

Detailer =(Quick Detailer, Wax-as-U-Dry, Mist & Shine, Show Time etc.) are a thin milky or clear solution that are mostly a silicone based product that offer some level of protection, longevity & shine, after regular washing, which is also good for the "between waxing". The detailer(s) can also be used after waxing for that extra level of shine and swirl/streak mark removal on dark color vehicles.

In addition, detailer type products can also be used on black/flat black or colored moldings, plastic & trim. Some say that the detailer products can also be applied to the windshield to offer that "Rain-X" type protection and water shedding ability. I haven't tried this yet.

Detailer products are all I use now and I use them after each wash with great results. Often only using the detailer on the top portions of the vehicle(hood, rood, trunk) where the sun beat most but mostly doing the whole vehicle otherwise. I Keep my vehicles well into their teens and the paint never fades or oxidizes and always looks brilliant.

Last edited:
I have always used a, "Wax-As-U-Dry" type product after every wash on all of my vehicles. Most all come in a trigger spray, are milky white with the consistency of water. You simply spray the product on before you start towel drying the vehicle after the final rinse.

You have to dry the vehicle anyway, so it doesn't create any more work like an after dry detailer does. And personally, I think they do a better job as far as shine, water beading, and overall protection. Several car care product manufacturers make it. All work about the same.

I find them good at removing the last traces of bugs and makes them come off easier next time

I use a wash and wax because Costco has occasional sales on the large jugs of Meguiars. Seems to be a costco specific product, usually either a pink or a purple shampoo with carnuba. Works well as a shampoo, and does seem to add a little gloss and beading on bare paint but no more than a regular shampoo would.

I find the wash and wax products leave a film even after a towel drying.
Annoying on glass.
The wax as you dry works much better as you can avoid the windows.

I don't believe it's possible.

How can a "wash" remove dirt, let leave wax behind?

I agree with the others - the wax just has be be separate (after) - no getting around it!

Originally Posted by Linctex
I don't believe it's possible.

How can a "wash" remove dirt, let leave wax behind?

I agree with the others - the wax just has be be separate (after) - no getting around it!

I just kind of assumed it was soap, but with some liquid wax in there so when you're washing you'll get some of the wax on the car. It's not as good as a buffed on coat, but it's something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back