Oil temperature data

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see there are more vehicles out there with real time oil temperature data. It would be very interesting to hear what owners are observing what they are seeing for temperatures under different operating conditions, ambient temperatures, high rpm, towing usage etc. Feel free to give us your observations.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
I see there are more vehicles out there with real time oil temperature data. It would be very interesting to hear what owners are observing what they are seeing for temperatures under different operating conditions, ambient temperatures, high rpm, towing usage etc. Feel free to give us your observations.
smile.gif

Unfortunately I can't read the actual oil temp but I can read coolant temp. And the highest I ever saw was 206c sitting on I-5 last summer in S. Oregon with the A/C running when it was 103f outside...I run a 180f degree OE stat,, 16psi OE cap and 50/50 Peak Long Life...so I was still well under boiling point

Last edited:
2018 RAM 3.6 Puttin' around on back roads 215° to 230°. Interstate @ 70/75MPH 218° to 225°. This was with the grill shutters stock. I removed 2 of them and all temps dropped to around 203° to 205° with no loss in MPG. AC seems colder too!!!

2019 Charger 3.6 In town 185° to 195° Interstate @ 70/75MPH 196° to 200°.

2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 HEMI V-8. Around town in 115 F temp..... 205 - 212 F. Highway from Phoenix to Lake Havasu at 120 F..... 225. Pulling a trailer at night 90 F over the same..... 220 - 225 F.

In keeping with the current Mopar theme of this thread
lol.gif

2016 Chrysler 300S v6

Summer - 185F-200F
Winter - 175F-190F

The van seems to always sit at about 195F-210F no matter the ambient temperature.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
In keeping with the current Mopar theme of this thread :LOL

I think it's mostly because they happen to make the most vehicles with oil temperature gauges at the moment. Mine even has a transmission temp gauge.

Originally Posted by billt460

I think it's mostly because they happen to make the most vehicles with oil temperature gauges at the moment. Mine even has a transmission temp gauge.

Good point, I just kind of assumed most vehicles with some sort of customizable display would have that feature.

Our van has an almost identical dash to what the Durango had, but no transmission temp readout in the van.... I was kind of sad about that. 300 does though, I rarely see anything near 150F on its transmission

Originally Posted by billt460

True. My 2016 Wrangler with the EVIC displays coolant and transmission temperature. I wish I had oil temperature.
frown.gif

My Forester XT has an oil temp gauge.

In town, it's around 91 C (195 F), on the highway it's 98 C (208 F) and when pushed into high RPMs (paddle shifters) the highest I've seen is 110 C (230 F).

2000 Corvette (no oil cooler) runs 195-205 in the summer months.

A ~40 second autox run will push it to 215.

Five minutes of lapping at a HPDE will take it somewhere around 250 and it'll be near 300 after a 20 minute session. My local course is primarily a 2nd gear course for my car, with a back and front straight that use 3rd. Shifting up and running the entire course in 3rd will bring oil temp back down to 275 in two laps. Oil temp is highly dependent on engine RPM on track.

M 2017 VW Alltrack with 1.8 lter DI engine will run about 21-215 in the city and up to 225F on the highway on a hot day. On the other hand, my 2019 Passat with a 2 liter DI engne barely gets to 212 on the highway.

Originally Posted by gfh77665
At what temp do oils start to have difficulty?

Depends on pressure but generally for a quality oil it's considered between 250c and 275c (thermal breakdown) for full dino and synthetics can be above 300c. The lighter molecules can begin to volatilize before 250c.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

Unfortunately I can't read the actual oil temp but I can read coolant temp. And the highest I ever saw was 206c sitting on I-5 last summer in S. Oregon with the A/C running when it was 103f outside..

...‚.. just realized I wrote 206c. Obviously that's a typo and should be Fahrenheit...

Last edited:
Both my '15 VW TDI's will reach into the low 230's when doing a regeneration on a hot freeway day. Normally 205-220 when fully warm at freeway speeds. Higher the temperature the better the MPG's in my experience with exception to the regen's.

Originally Posted by RayCJ

I want an oil temperature gauge
mad.gif

No, you don't. It would drive you nuts. That's why vehicle manufacturers stopped putting them in passenger cars in the '60s. It's also why water temperature gauges don't read in degrees any longer.

Originally Posted by gfh77665
At what temp do oils start to have difficulty?
Anything over 230*F is getting into danger territory.

Originally Posted by Hounds
Originally Posted by RayCJ

I want an oil temperature gauge
mad.gif

That's why vehicle manufacturers stopped putting them in passenger cars in the '60s.

I Have never seen (personally) an oil temperature gauge stock in any car other than a Porsche and a Corvette.

What type of "not-sport" cars had them??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back