Exxon Mobile Synergy Supreme Friction Modifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at Exxon Mobil's web site and saw that they have an additive that they call a friction modifier. They claim it reduces "wear and tear" on your engine by 30%. It is only in their premium gasoline.

What is it and how does it reduce wear?

Exxon Mobil Synergy Supreme

It would be funny if it was Marvel Mystery Oil.

Last edited:
Dissecting the verbiage, it looks like you'll gain 30% of nothing. Just read the fine print. I'm disappointed in the advertising they're using lately. XOM was always a class act with their ads, lately they're becoming goofy.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Dissecting the verbiage, it looks like you'll gain 30% of nothing. Just read the fine print. I'm disappointed in the advertising they're using lately. XOM was always a class act with their ads, lately they're becoming goofy.

What I saw in the fine print is that you have to use it all the time. I'll have to look more closely.

I use random brands of gas and once in a while I'll run a tank of premium. Never noticed a difference with any of it. Never got better MPG or felt any more power or smoothness, not like this stupid car has any power or smoothness in the first place.

I'm usually interested in these types of things, but how could fuel by itself reduce wear in an engine? Interesting claims.

Originally Posted by oldhp
Shell V-Power Premium says the same thing.

Well the conduit is already there - blow by and entrainment with the oil film.

The internet is full of videos and write up's and companies making stand alone products - but the "recipe" each company has - and how it works in conjunction with the engine and oil - is what the R&D groups do - including those who make both fuels and lubricants. They can all buy what they don't make to go into the stew.

Shell in my area has been running similar tv ads. I don't use any regular fuel addys besides the occasional Gumout or Techron. I have from time to time added MMO... don't know if it does anything though. I mainly just run TT fuel..in particular 76 brand as they advertise that their detergent pkg is 3.5x the EPA mandate and 1.5x the TT minimum. But if not any 76 around, then any TT station will do.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mbacfp
I'm usually interested in these types of things, but how could fuel by itself reduce wear in an engine? Interesting claims.

I think it has something to do with high combustion temps annihilating any oil film on the very upper reaches of the cylinder wall. Dunno if that's accurate or not, just my impression from the scant reading I've done.. and I do mean scant. For all I know it could be an entirely mfg "problem" designed to sell UCL's.

Maybe someone with engine tear down experience can validate this...

Originally Posted by IndyFan
Originally Posted by demarpaint

What I saw in the fine print is that you have to use it all the time. I'll have to look more closely.

Originally Posted by XOM
Actual benefits are based on continuous use and may vary depending on vehicle type, driving style, and gasoline previously used. Concentration and availability of our proprietary additive package may vary based on factors beyond our control.
Color me a skeptic, but the last line tells me the package may not even be available due to factors beyond their control. So maybe this tank of gas has the additive, and maybe it doesn't. Or was the additive in this tankful as potent as the other? Strange?

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by mbacfp

I think it has something to do with high combustion temps annihilating any oil film on the very upper reaches of the cylinder wall. Dunno if that's accurate or not, just my impression from the scant reading I've done.. and I do mean scant. For all I know it could be an entirely mfg "problem" designed to sell UCL's.

Maybe someone with engine tear down experience can validate this...

Interesting. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Garak
Friction modifiers in fuel are not uncommon.

Indeed... I'd venture to say that most quality fuels contain some amount of friction modifier (UCL) to lubricate the valve guides, seats, rings and upper cylinder. Question is, how much is enough/too much?

And if I were to pour in anything to increase the lubricity of the fuel, it would be a product designed to be used in the combustion chamber (ashless). Fwiw, most every name brand mfg of fuel addys has a UCL product, even the Gumout system cleaner w/PEA (which I use occasionally) has a UCL component to it.

Last edited:

Agree.... But doesn't everybody talk mad junk about Lucas talking about being friction modifier????

Now ExxonMobil has it and it is legitimate
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bbhero

Agree.... But doesn't everybody talk mad junk about Lucas talking about being friction modifier????

lol.gif

I haven't. While I've never used Lucas UCL, I have dumped MMO in the tank from time to time. Maybe it does something, maybe it doesn't. I figure it can't hurt to raise the lubricity of the fuel and I already keep the MMO around as a good general purpose lubricant (it's cheap in the 1gl jug). It would be interesting to know what the film strength is like for each the Lucas and MMO. I think Lucas gets a lot of guff because of their pricing and bold, sometimes hyperbolic, advertising. But when you think about it.. they're only selling stuff that we know refiners already make themselves...so go figure.🤔

Last edited:
Originally Posted by IndyFan
I was looking at Exxon Mobil's web site and saw that they have an additive that they call a friction modifier. They claim it reduces "wear and tear" on your engine by 30%. It is only in their premium gasoline.

What is it and how does it reduce wear?

Exxon Mobil Synergy Supreme

It would be funny if it was Marvel Mystery Oil.

So this is their answer to Shell V-Power.

Originally Posted by bbhero

lol.gif

The legitimacy of a UCL is the question. Look at it this way. If FE goes from 3 ppm to 2 ppm for the effected area which a UCL purportedly impacts is that reduction relevant? It's a 30 percent reduction for sure but was the wear relevant in the first place? Nope.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
The legitimacy of a UCL is the question. Look at it this way. If FE goes from 3 ppm to 2 ppm for the effected area which a UCL purportedly impacts is that reduction relevant? It's a 30 percent reduction for sure but was the wear relevant in the first place? Nope.

Moreover there's no way on earth a 1ppm change in an ICP reading is significant, even if it is from 3 to 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back