Do any of the AFM or Start Stop vehicles have stout reliability yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen that the Chevy AFM can be troublesome and lead to oil consumption issues. Haven't seen reports of cars with start stop tech needing replacement starters yet.

So among all manufacturers who have cars with this stuff, do any stand out as being a great addition with no impact to drivetrain reliability?

How many of the millions of AFM equipped engines have the consumption "issue"? If this is accurately tracked then we as a public can say it affects reliability.

Then again I don't fault manufacturers from not publicly stating how many engines have warranty work completed each year. If there is 600 engines out of 500000 being worked somehow this is a "problem" engine.

Those new fangled rascals !

Just tell me at what mileage to expect trouble with my two Chevy AFM engines so I can be ready. Clock is ticking on that 0w20 for sure.

Our Fusion Hybrid seems to have a stop/start engine thing-a-ma-jig and it's happy at 112k - but I don't know when to expect it to die either

Guess I have more questions than answers - going to be an interesting thread.

coffee2.gif

The 2014+ GM Ecotec engines seem to have it figured out, very few reported problems on the truck fanboy forums. Of course for 2019 GM upgraded from the 8-6-4 deactivation to a 8-7-6-5-4-3-2 deactivation with 17 different patterns of deactivated cylinders. Too soon to see how this is going to go.

A co-worker has a 2007 Silverado 5.3 he bought new, first year of DOD in GM trucks. He's indifferent about maintenance, only short trips, oil changes where ever the best deal is, no clue what oil is in there, follows the minder sort-of.... and has had no problems at all. This is the engine with all the lifter failures.

Lexus RX-400H stop start is dead reliable and has no downside like a non hybrid auto where AC compressor stops when the engine stops.

All accessories work the same as when the engine is running.

UD

+1 on the 2014 GM AFM re-design. It received a variable rate oil pump system, much higher pump rate, much higher oil pressure, and re-designed lifters. There is little resemblance to the previous system. So far I haven't heard complaints on it. There should be 2014 models with 100,000 miles on them by now.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
+1 on the 2014 GM AFM re-design. It received a variable rate oil pump system, much higher pump rate, much higher oil pressure, and re-designed lifters. There is little resemblance to the previous system. So far I haven't heard complaints on it. There should be 2014 models with 100,000 miles on them by now.

So can you run thinner oils and still maintain oil pressure?
confused2.gif

I own a hybrid and the start stop technology is pretty smooth. I have driven two vehicles with the start stop gas engine and they were horrible. Both were jerky,very noticeable starts and just annoying. If they used the hybrid technology to start the engines (if that is possible) it would be very fluid but my experience is they start with a jerk, very noticeable and just a pain to deal with.

As to reliability, well, I think most people just turn the function off if they have that option.

You guys are really brave; I'm still wringing my hands over pointless ignitions and electronic fuel injection.

Our '17 Escape has the start stop system. The first thing we do after starting the car is press the button to deactivate it. It is annoying, in addition to the extra starter/battery wear and tear. I would not purchase a vehicle that had the system without a way to deactivate it, but that's just me (and my wife).

Philosophically I cannot abide by an engine that does not turn off random-location cylinders. I still really don't like them. I think that if I were in the market for a vehicle that happened to have a cylinder deactivation system, I would i) only buy new, and ii) only buy if I found that an aftermarket VCM system "defeat" were available. But that's just me...

Last edited:
Yeah, they have stout reliability... once you disable the AFM/VCM/etc
laugh.gif

I know there's VCMuzzler for Hondas, and there is probably something for GM's AFM as well.

Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot

So can you run thinner oils and still maintain oil pressure?
confused2.gif

0w20 ? Hey, it's middle grade these days !!!
I recently posted a link to the L83 engine - GM changed many things - and kept some things from the former evolutions like the stiff lower end and mains - and as a former machinist just figured they wanted to keep the larger machines capable of boring and facing the same displacement blocks - whereas the new heads might just be a new CNC set up to handle the new blank.

I have also made the comparison between my former 5.3L's that did not use the new oil pump system, did not have piston jets, did not have an oil cooler.
Having said all that - and with 2017/2018 units - I'll drive out the warranty period before I decide on the AFM delete or 5w30 oil - since both are saving me money now.

My 2003 Civic hybrid had the start/stop feature. I sold the car at 300,000 km and it did not burn any oil and the starter was fine.

Any new tech will bring out the paranoid and naysayers on this forum........

AFM has been fixed after the 2011 model year. People forget that GM sells over 40,000 trucks a month(Silverado/Sierra combined)-most half tons equipped with the 5.3.

It's the Internet (as usual) that blows issues way out of proportion.

The whole starter system for stop/start is a different animal than a regular starter. Google is your friend.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MCompact
You guys are really brave; I'm still wringing my hands over pointless ignitions and electronic fuel injection.

This made my morning.

The Caprice has AFM. The L77 6.0 used in them got updates around 2014. I know there were some failures in the 2011-2013, but they were high mileage tons of idle hours cars. Like 150,000 miles and 6000 to 8000 idle hours.

So far there have been no complaints about the high mileage, high idle hour 2014 and up cars with the system.

I'd certainly trust the GM and Mopar DoD systems, as well as Toyota/Ford hybrids.

Didn't someone post here with an 2.7L EB F-150 with start/stop that racked up a lot of miles and is still going strong?

Originally Posted by CKN
Any new tech will bring out the paranoid and naysayers on this forum........

AFM has been fixed after the 2011 model year. People forget that GM sells over 40,000 trucks a month(Silverado/Sierra combined)-most half tons equipped with the 5.3.

It's the Internet (as usual) that blows issues way out of proportion.

The whole starter system for stop/start is a different animal than a regular starter. Google is your friend.

Id say you're probably spot on regarding the AFM failure hype...these engines are in so many production vehicles right now that it's ridiculous...and most people I talk to have had no problems with it. I mean these things are in the Silverado, the Tahoe, the Sierra...on and on.

I have an 2018 Silverado with 35,000 miles on it now, I get a little bit of oil consumption between 5,000 OCI's...maybe 3/4 a quart, but I'm averaging 25 mpg in this thing. A full size V8 4x4 pickup averaging 25 mpg?? Let's say at 150,000 miles I have to replace my lifters and it costs me $1,500 bucks, who cares? This truck is saving me $500-$600 a year on gas. And if it never breaks or I just repair it myself? I'm way ahead of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back