Moly vs No Moly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im just wondering...moly vs no moly? Is there any hard data oe tests out there? Did lot of googleing and searches on here but couldnt answer the question...

How do I know when they put moly in it? Can you sum it up?

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
There are plenty of old pre-moly Valvoline UOAs out there.

Even VOA's that a member did of Valvoline Advanced Synthetic not too long ago
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Navi

Was pretty recently. Within what, the last year?
For years Valvoline has no moly, it relied on a stout antioxidant/sodium addpack.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
2018 a member did a VOA of Valvoline advanced synthetic. I couldn't upload the voa

Is this what you mean?

As for the moly vs moly, I've read that moly is supposed to help timing chain wear.

Personally, I use HDEO with no moly at all and in my particular engine it performed better. As for the timing chain, I believe regular oil changes and thicker oils helps as well.

Did anybody notice the oil temp at the top of the run
289 degrees 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
That's way past being to hot !!!

For years Valvoline has no moly, it relied on a stout antioxidant/sodium addpack.

Sodium in motor oil is a detergent. Molybdenum is friction modifier. If molybdenum is not used another modifier such as boron is present.

Originally Posted by dave1251

Sodium in motor oil is a detergent. Molybdenum is friction modifier. If molybdenum is not used another modifier such as boron is present.

http://www.pqiadata.org/Valvoline0W20dexos.html

Zinc and Phosphorus were present. Moly and Boron were not.

—

Valvoline was notorious for its sodium and "unknown antioxidants"

Now, I believe with the LSPI concerns, Valvoline has Moly, titanium, and Boron and less sodium.

—-

Unrelated:
Actually looking at Valvolines current mixture, the moly, titanium, boron add pack, I might actually use it. I used to avoid it due to the lack of friction modifiers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dave1251

http://www.pqiadata.org/Valvoline0W20dexos.html

Zinc and Phosphorus were present. Moly and Boron were not.

—

Valvoline was notorious for its sodium and "unknown antioxidants"

Now, I believe with the LSPI concerns, Valvoline has Moly, titanium, and Boron and less sodium.

—-

Unrelated:
Actually looking at Valvolines current mixture, the moly, titanium, boron add pack, I might actually use it. I used to avoid it due to the lack of friction modifiers.

Also by your statement you seem confused about the function of titanium. Titanium is a primarily a anti-wear additive like ZDDP.

Sorry to dig up my SOPUS spreadsheet again but looking at it, moly is in most of the products except for a only a small amount in Rotella multi-vehicle. I heard it was quite complicated with different types of moly available in different motor oils.

582F1DDA-827B-4C5E-BB5D-0CD4F21C601B.jpeg

The primary defense against metal to metal wear (boundary area) is the lubricant itself. Once the oil film has broken down, then AW and EP additives (many nano particles are both considered AW & EP but traditionally AW is a zddp type additive and EP are moly and certain borates) the last line of defense from actual metal to metal (asperity) contact are the AW & EP additives. EP additives are only functional in the hottest, highest load parts of the engine as they need high heat to become reactive.

Formulas that use a high quality base oil/esters may not be so reliant on EP additives like moly or boron. Their primary defense is the film strength itself then zinc, phosphorus if the oil film breaks down. These low/no ep additive formulas undergo extensive lab tests before they're ready for prime time.

Last edited:
My understanding is diesel engines are not compatible with moly thus why T6 5W30 doesnt have it...

My understanding is diesel engines are not compatible with moly thus why T6 5W30 doesnt have it...

Liqui Moly makes a diesel oil additive and a diesel oil.

Just spit balling here but maybe in the early years of moly formulas/use, it contributed to clogging of the DPF?.. dunno.

Last edited:
They technically are compatible but usually formulated without. One spec, maybe the Cummins, at one time precluded moly, if I recall correctly. It just seems to have stayed the norm with HDEOs. I'm not exactly sure, from a formulating perspective, what would be the advantage of dumping in PCMO levels of moly in an HDEO. The friction modification isn't as essential as in a CAFE oil. I don't know what other things are involved or exactly why it was disallowed at one point.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I haven't used a lube with moly in a lot of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back