26 degree temp swing in 24 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my area of N.C. 88 the high yesterday, 62 the high today. It's cloudy with light rain, but I'll take it for August in N.C. !

Last edited:
Similar weather here in KY. Cooled down dramatically the last day or two, and we actually got rain for the first time practically all summer. I've only had to mow my grass once since mid-June.

When I lived in Colorado, it was not uncommon to be 75F one day, then 30F and snowing the next.

I think somewhere in Montana holds the U.S. record for a 24 hour swing 78 F seems to stick in my mind. For a month swing my town tops this list.
1. Casper, Wyoming: 99 degrees (high 72, low -27)
2. Lander, Wyoming: 89 degrees (high 71, low -18)
3. Great Falls, Montana: 88 degrees (high 66, low -22)
4. (tie) Sheridan, Wyoming: 87 degrees (high 70, low -17)
4. (tie) Valentine, Nebraska: 87 degrees (high 73, low -14)
6. (tie) Denver, Colorado: 86 degrees (high 72, low -14)
6. (tie) Goodland, Kansas: 86 degrees (high 80, low -6)
8. Aberdeen, South Dakota: 85 degrees (high 68, low -17)
9. (tie) Havre, Montana: 84 degrees (high 65, low -19)
9. (tie) Pueblo, Colorado: 84 degrees (high 75, low -9)
11. Norfolk, Nebraska: 82 degrees (high 77, low -5)
12. Grand Island, Nebraska: 81 degrees (high 78, low -3)
13. (tie) Bismarck, North Dakota: 80 degrees (high 66, low -14)
13. (tie) Cheyenne, Wyoming: 80 degrees (high 66, low -14)

NWS

Today it's 97 high, 57 low where I live, it's not uncommon to have a 50 degree spread between towns in my county. To have a big difference in highs day to day in the same spot would be odd.

This winter we went from -40f to +30-40f within a day.

Years ago I hosted a new years eve party with the expectation a number of people would crash and stay overnight. It was well below -30C that night and we had the fireplaces and furnace cranked to keep things warm. A Chinook rolled in overnight and it was +10C by morning. The inside of the house was TROPICAL by the time people woke up. A 40C (72F) swing within a few hours.

Originally Posted by gman2304
In my area of N.C. 88 the high yesterday, 62 the high today. It's cloudy with light rain, but I'll take it for August in N.C. !

Yeah, a bit on the cool side here today, first sign the summer is ending, quite honestly, I rather it stay summer.... but all good things come to an end, until next year.
After today it will still get up to the uppers 80s low 90 later int eh week but that is already on the cool side for me :eek:(

Lived my whole life in the Northeast until 13 years ago, wow times flies, I really much enjoy the heat and long summers here.

It was 50F last night at 7pm. And it was about 49F 5his morning at 6:30 am. Better than the high 90+ weather last Monday thru Wednesday
smile.gif

In areas that see real winter, swings of much greater magnitude are common.
Here, we'll see a snowstorm with ambients in the twenties followed with below zero temps overnight for a couple of days.
Happens a few times each winter, nothing exceptional.
Nothing like a -15F morning to make one wish spring were closer.
The winter months are also longer, with January and February dragging on forever while June and July just fly by.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back