What do you think is the best "buy" in all new firearms?

Originally Posted by callbay
I think it is a Maverick 12 Gauge pump with 20" or 18" barrel. The firepower is amazing. My 20" barreled model holds eight 3" magnums. With 15 00 pellets in each shell, that's 120 .33 inch balls going down field.

$237 from Gallery of Guns delivered to my local gun shop.

https://www.mossberg.com/product/maverick-88-security-31046/

You probably know that Mossberg owns and makes Mavericks now.

https://www.mossberg.com/category/series/maverick-88/

They go on sale for <$200 at Academy Sports and other stores, sometimes. I bought one for my sister for a lot less than $200 a few years ago at Christmas.

There are a LOT of good buys in the firearms market now. 1911's from Springfield and Rock Island Armory have never been priced better. AR's from various manufacturers are cheap or cheaper than they've ever been in years. AK's are much the same. Availability is everywhere.

As was mentioned, the Mossberg 500 / 590 series has always been one of the best buys out there in pump shotguns. Affordable and utterly reliable. Polymer pistols from S&W / Springfield / CZ / IWI, and about a dozen or more other manufacturers are all but a dime a dozen at the moment.

Parts are much the same. It used to be ANY drop in AR bolt carrier group was a screaming deal at $100.00. Now many are priced below that. Some are even offered coated at that price, or slightly more.

Bolt action, centerfire hunting rifles like the Ruger American, Mossberg Patriot series are all very well priced..... Even in the larger Magnum calibers. Some are even offered with pretty decent optics packages right out of the box, which makes them an even better deal.

If a shooter on a limited budget is looking to buy weapons, this is about the best time I've seen in a long time to do it. Ammo is much the same...... Cheap and available, with everyone and their brother running seemingly non stop, screaming deals. 9 MM FMJ is under $9.00 @ box at several Internet shops and big box stores. You just have to take the time to look.

It is a great time to buy guns. Quality carry pistols for under $300. $400 bolt actions that are 1000+ yard capable. Stock up.

I'd get your AR15 rifles now if you want one or think you might want one down the road. They are under attack hard and who knows how long they will be available for purchase. And the 30 rd magazines to go along with them. That's where I would spend my money if I had a limited amount of guns. And make sure you have at least ten standard capacity magazines for your high capacity 9mm pistols. The last assault weapons ban was no joke, 17 rd Glock magazines were selling for $100 each at the gun shows.

Pistols and shotguns will always be available... I spend my money on the items that are ban worthy.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
I'd get your AR15 rifles now if you want one or think you might want one down the road. They are under attack hard and who knows how long they will be available for purchase. And the 30 rd magazines to go along with them. That's where I would spend my money if I had a limited amount of guns. And make sure you have at least ten standard capacity magazines for your high capacity 9mm pistols. The last assault weapons ban was no joke, 17 rd Glock magazines were selling for $100 each at the gun shows.

Pistols and shotguns will always be available... I spend my money on the items that are ban worthy.

Spot on advice. I got antsy in the summer of 2016 and bought my AR... A Ruger AR556.
I'm used to planning for the worst and hoping for the best. Fortunately, November 2016 was a pleasant surprise. Stocked up on 30 rounders over the last few years. Pistol caliber carbines... especially 9mm are a great buy now too. But the AR that I paid close to $700 for then is under $500 now.

What sort of gun are you asking about ? What will you be doing with it . Who will be shooting it ?

Not a very specific question .

Picked up a new Savage Axis XP 30-06 w/ Weaver Scope.

Bolt action

Academy has them on sale for 279$

Probably go back and get a 270 and a 6.5 for the same price.

Have Bushnell scopes already therefore I'll more than likely sell the Weaver scopes.

Love me some bolt action

Last edited:
Originally Posted by john_pifer
Originally Posted by callbay
I think it is a Maverick 12 Gauge pump with 20" or 18" barrel. The firepower is amazing. My 20" barreled model holds eight 3" magnums. With 15 00 pellets in each shell, that's 120 .33 inch balls going down field.

$237 from Gallery of Guns delivered to my local gun shop.

https://www.mossberg.com/product/maverick-88-security-31046/

You probably know that Mossberg owns and makes Mavericks now.

https://www.mossberg.com/category/series/maverick-88/

They go on sale for

They're 179$ atm at academy.

Here is a good example of a inexpensive, good looking, good shooting bargain rifle. Deals like this are everywhere today. It's a Marlin X-7 bolt action in .223. I paid just $229.00 for it. (I can't remember where. It might have been from CDNN). It came with a cheap looking black injection molded stock, with enough flash on it to cut your fingers. A real POS. I found this finished, drop in, coffee brown laminated thumbhole model from Stocky's for just $99.00 on an Internet closeout.

I picked up the Nikon .223 scope on a sale at Cabela's, along with one of those "$50.00 off" coupons I got in the mail. I think it ran me around $170.00 out the door. The rings were a set of Burris Signature Rings I had laying around from another project.

The stock really was a perfect drop in fit, that took me all of 10 minutes to install. I took a bunch of handloads and headed to the range. The thing shoots ragged one hole groups at 100 yards as long as I want to sit and feed it. The trigger isn't half bad either.

So for a total investment of around $500.00 I ended up with a good looking, good shooting, "walking varminter".

Marlin X-7 .223 002.JPG

The S&W Model 10-5 4" barrel I purchased from GunsInternational site several years ago, $360. Posted photos looked good and vendor said the revolver was the leftover ugly duckling from a large estate sale. FFL gunsmith opened package and remarked it looked unfired. He examined it and confirmed never fired. Now my S&W Model 18 has a companion.

Depends who will use it for what. Hunting....defense.. ccw.. teaching new shooters ??

For teaching a ruger 10-22

For ccw the shield from s&w is fantastic

Home defense an ar 15 from ruger or S&W is a great deal.

My advice is beware the cheap 12 ga shotguns from turkey or god knows where. My gun club bought 8 charles daly semi auto for use in hunter safety and after 2 classes a year for 8 years all the shotguns powered metal parts caused them all to fail. 16 classes shooting 2 boxes or 3 boxes of shells is not a ton of use.
My 1600 dollar a400 beretta has fired maybe 12 k shells with zero issues. I have taken 6 people clay shooting with all of them using my one shotgun and it got beyond hot. And zero issues. That shooting about 700 shells a day..
Cost was higher but I can resell my a400 for 1000 dollars easily. So my cost is 50 dollars a year for thousands of shells thru it. Thats an extreme value.

Here is a good example of a inexpensive, good looking, good shooting bargain rifle. Deals like this are everywhere today. It's a Marlin X-7 bolt action in .223. I paid just $229.00 for it. (I can't remember where. It might have been from CDNN). It came with a cheap looking black injection molded stock, with enough flash on it to cut your fingers. A real POS. I found this finished, drop in, coffee brown laminated thumbhole model from Stocky's for just $99.00 on an Internet closeout.

I picked up the Nikon .223 scope on a sale at Cabela's, along with one of those "$50.00 off" coupons I got in the mail. I think it ran me around $170.00 out the door. The rings were a set of Burris Signature Rings I had laying around from another project.

The stock really was a perfect drop in fit, that took me all of 10 minutes to install. I took a bunch of handloads and headed to the range. The thing shoots ragged one hole groups at 100 yards as long as I want to sit and feed it. The trigger isn't half bad either.

So for a total investment of around $500.00 I ended up with a good looking, good shooting, "walking varminter".

View attachment 16217

Thanks for the tip on Stocky's.

The S&W Model 10-5 4" barrel I purchased from GunsInternational site several years ago, $360. Posted photos looked good and vendor said the revolver was the leftover ugly duckling from a large estate sale. FFL gunsmith opened package and remarked it looked unfired. He examined it and confirmed never fired. Now my S&W Model 18 has a companion.
I have a couple very very used police trade in model 10's I paid that amount for. You did great

Back