WiFi 6 - Linus Tech Tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most people don't need wifi 6. For a large portion of the US internet speeds are under 100Mbps, and the current generation of devices support MU-MIMO. I guess if you were really paranoid about security it might be worth it. In my opinion, as long as your router is still being supported by manufacturer and you have it configured (ie not keeping all the settings on default) properly you shouldn't need this now.

Like the other new standards, only a little improvement is possible while you still have to interoperate with "legacy" users. The WiFi 5 or earlier clients will still transmit whenever they want to (not when the AP tells them to) and take up the whole band when they do.

For a large portion of the US internet speeds are under 100Mbps

Not only that, but when's the last time you ever saw a download reach 100 Mbps if you have internet that's that fast? I have internet that fast, and I can't recall the last time I saw a download reach 50 Mbps.

Originally Posted by powderedtoastman
Not only that, but when's the last time you ever saw a download reach 100 Mbps if you have internet that's that fast? I have internet that fast, and I can't recall the last time I saw a download reach 50 Mbps.

All the time if the server is able to upload at that speed. You're only seeing 50 because of something else. Do you know what it is?

I run several very modest web sites for clients of mine on a very modest server who is very unlikely to get visitors data at 50mbps; as I recall each site is bandwidth-limited at 10.

My Xbox is never below 80mbps down on WiFi at the opposite end of the house, my MacBook is is always 140+.

Originally Posted by jcartwright99
Most people don't need wifi 6. For a large portion of the US internet speeds are under 100Mbps, and the current generation of devices support MU-MIMO. I guess if you were really paranoid about security it might be worth it. In my opinion, as long as your router is still being supported by manufacturer and you have it configured (ie not keeping all the settings on default) properly you shouldn't need this now.

Yup.
My plan is 65Mbps and is fast enough for my needs. I have a Linksys WRT1900AC running DDWRT and it is more than enough. While I wish it had Mu-MIMO, it is not a deal breaker to make me look at buying a new router.
Heck, my mom has 100Mbps service, but I have her on an older Linksys 1200 n router and she is getting ~60Mbps on the other side of her house. If she had even my WRT1900 she would be getting max speed for sure.

Now if my current router dies, I will at least look into a wifi 6 router for future proofing, but again, will not be a dealbreaker (my next one will have MU-MIMO for sure).
Not that I have any devices that are WiFi 6 anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back