I should have bought that Daewoo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back when I was young, dumb and poor (Now Im middle age, dumb and poor) I looked at a 99 Daewoo Lanos with red "leather" inserts on a black leather seat. I bought a 99 Kia Sephia instead which I put a had 100k miles on and I mean HARD.

Well today I looked on Rock Auto for some reason and Brake pads for a Lanos, can be had for just over 1.00, Raybestoes brand to boot. There is a no name brand made out of compressed cow poop for 1.11

If Only I bought that Lanos, drove it 20 years, I might be on my way to being independently wealthy now....

Interesting automotive regret.

Usually it's something like "Man, I wish I never sold that Hemi 'Cuda" or "I wish I'd kept my grandpa's GTO."

Originally Posted by Rhymingmechanic

Usually it's something like "Man, I wish I never sold that Hemi 'Cuda" or "I wish I'd kept my grandpa's GTO."

Grandpa's GTO? Excuse me... Come again?

(LOL).

Originally Posted by 5AcresAndAFool
Back when I was young, dumb and poor (Now Im middle age, dumb and poor) I looked at a 99 Daewoo Lanos with red "leather" inserts on a black leather seat. I bought a 99 Kia Sephia instead which I put a had 100k miles on and I mean HARD.

Well today I looked on Rock Auto for some reason and Brake pads for a Lanos, can be had for just over 1.00, Raybestoes brand to boot. There is a no name brand made out of compressed cow poop for 1.11

If Only I bought that Lanos, drove it 20 years, I might be on my way to being independently wealthy now....

Put the pipe down. This is an easy one to get over.

Let's take our hats off for a minute of respect for Suzuki. GM's acquisition of Daewoo and sticking Suzuki with all of that bad product was probably one of the factors that made Suzuki give up hopes for the American market. My Buick Encore was ok, but was starting to give indications of trouble when it died a violent death.

Originally Posted by toneydoc
What is a Daewoo?

Probably about the same as the 66 Dodge Dart V8 I special ordered. Avoid like the plague(which is was).

What is a Daewoo?

GM owned, Korean manufacturer, of such storied models as the subcompact Pontiac LeMon LeMans, and those wonderful Aveos we see blowing up every day!

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
What is a Daewoo?

Probably about the same as the 66 Dodge Dart V8 I special ordered. Avoid like the plague(which is was).
Darts weren't perfect, but they were better than any Daewoo! Only thing as bad as a Daewoo was the storied Yugo...

Originally Posted by RayCJ
Originally Posted by Rhymingmechanic

Grandpa's GTO? Excuse me... Come again?

(LOL).

If gramps was 25 when he bought his '69 Goat new he would be 75 today. Totally believable.

I worked with someone who had buyers remorse after trading in his Suzuki Samurai for a Isuzu Rodeo.

Seeing a 40 year old man cry about his Suzuki while sitting inside his Isuzu was pretty...idk...I'll be nice lol

I bought a 2002 Lanos new around 2003. Daewoo was closing up shop here in the US, and I got it for $6995 NEW!
The car never let me down, I put over 100,000 miles on it and got $2500 back in trade for a 2009 Kia Rio. The car had absolutely no rust on the body. I put a timing belt, a set of pads and rotors on it, and a battery. With all seriousness, it was the most reliable car I'd owned till I got my 2011 Kia Soul.

Anyone bagging on Daewoo actually ever driven or owned one? They seemed to me decent cars especially for the price. My uncle bought a Lanos new, I learned how to drive a stick on that car, he kept it for years as a commuter car and had good luck with it. A couple years later they came out with the "sport" models that the OP refers to with the red on black seats, there were other colors (for the sport model) too. I thought they were real sharp for a small econobox and considered buying one when I was in my early 20's.

My mom bought a new 1999 Nubira and kept it to 80k or so. She never had any trouble with it, still speaks highly of the car. A family friend had a Leganza, I've driven that a few times. Besides being ***** (and the color of that particular one was awful, tan on tan) that seemed like a decent car too. All had decent performance for the time. When you compare them to the other popular cars of the time period, I don't see what's so awful about them.

Just for grins I Google searched "Daewoo Nubira reviews" & same for the Lanos. Believe it or not, user reviews are overwhelmingly positive (4.3 stars), most commenting on the reliability. You could do a LOT worse in the late '90's & early '00's!

We had a fleet of cars in Korea - when a Daewoo was available I'd take one over a Kia -
they were rebadged Buicks so more room (we often rode 2-4 people) and smooth ride.

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
Anyone bagging on Daewoo actually ever driven or owned one? They seemed to me decent cars especially for the price. My uncle bought a Lanos new, I learned how to drive a stick on that car, he kept it for years as a commuter car and had good luck with it. A couple years later they came out with the "sport" models that the OP refers to with the red on black seats, there were other colors (for the sport model) too. I thought they were real sharp for a small econobox and considered buying one when I was in my early 20's.

My mom bought a new 1999 Nubira and kept it to 80k or so. She never had any trouble with it, still speaks highly of the car. A family friend had a Leganza, I've driven that a few times. Besides being ***** (and the color of that particular one was awful, tan on tan) that seemed like a decent car too. All had decent performance for the time. When you compare them to the other popular cars of the time period, I don't see what's so awful about them.

Just for grins I Google searched "Daewoo Nubira reviews" & same for the Lanos. Believe it or not, user reviews are overwhelmingly positive (4.3 stars), most commenting on the reliability. You could do a LOT worse in the late '90's & early '00's!

Sister had an Aveo. She'd still have it if it weren't for the fact it fell apart while driving it.

From what I gather the Sonic was better, but from my experiences driving the Aveo, a bicycle would have been better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back