Which are you?😂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by tahoe_hybrid
another thing is if you put cold fuel in on a hot pump it will damage it (thermal shock)

Or the pump may burn out prematurely (overheat)

Or the filter may get clogged

might suck up some water (water only works as fuel on the sun)

my friend burned out his fuel pump and it cost him $1400 to replace it let it go to one too many times..

Not necessarily. I always drive until the tank is 1/4 or less (except on long trips where I don't want to bother charting out the last gas station I could manage vs getting stranded), unless fuel seems to temporarily be at a very low price (but I usually can't go by that, my crystal ball is not working to predict gas price swings).

It is rare that I have a fuel pump failure from doing so, over several vehicles. They certainly haven't had premature failures.

It is true that having a pump submerged in fuel in the tank can make it run cooler, but it can't help but stay at a fairly cool temp due to putting the gas through itself by design.

Water is a non-issue for anyone who uses E10 or higher ethanol blend fuel, unless they have a far larger problem like a rust hole in the top of their tank letting excessive water in. If it is instead bad gas that water got into before the pump, better to go ahead and empty the tank if putting some drygas in doesn't help keep it running smooth till the bad fuel is gone. You don't want water sitting in the bottom of your tank either way.

A single instance of a friend who had a fuel pump failure then overpaid to replace it, doesn't prove anything. A decent quality pump is designed to run without overheating over the whole range of tank capacity down to nothing. This might be an argument not to buy generic junk pumps, but anything major brand or the OEM factory pump should handle this fine.

I suppose a fair argument could be made that with all else equal, a hotter running pump *shouldn't* last as long, but this assumes heat is the only wear mechanism and frankly, I wouldn't be a slave to when I have to put more fuel in (nearly twice as often for many years if refilled at 1/2 empty point) just to have a few hours labor and $150 or whatever to replace the pump, and sending unit while you're at it if quite old... $1400, just no, if a dealer tries to charge this for an OEM pump and it's not a supercar, look elsewhere. There is nothing special about OEM pumps. Most if not all OEMs don't even make their own pumps so they are usually available under the manufacturer brand for reasonable price.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by E150GT
level ground station

Say what?

The ground has to be level at the pump. they arent always.

Originally Posted by Dave9

I suppose a fair argument could be made that with all else equal, a hotter running pump *shouldn't* last as long, but this assumes heat is the only wear mechanism and frankly, I wouldn't be a slave to when I have to put more fuel in (nearly twice as often for many years if refilled at 1/2 empty point) just to have a few hours labor and $150 or whatever to replace the pump, and sending unit while you're at it if quite old... $1400, just no, if a dealer tries to charge this for an OEM pump and it's not a supercar, look elsewhere. There is nothing special about OEM pumps. Most if not all OEMs don't even make their own pumps so they are usually available under the manufacturer brand for reasonable price.

The OE Hyundai pump for mine is in the $250'ish range with a quality aftermarket around $200..it makes no sense to me to not go with the OE. The dealership will charge a minimum of 1hr shop but it's really no more than a half hour job. If it's OE it already comes calibrated. That said at 160k miles the factory pump/filter on mine, pressure is still going strong. Modern fuel pumps are pretty reliable unless somehow abused.

level ground station

Say what?

The ground has to be level at the pump. they arent always.

I don't think I've ever seen a gas station that wasn't level around here, at least where the cars stop to fill up. That must be code requirement or something.

might suck up some water (water only works as fuel on the sun) .

Isn't water always on the bottom of the tank whether full or near empty? The weight of the gas keeps it pushed away from the inlet? Explain?

Originally Posted by AZjeff

Isn't water always on the bottom of the tank whether full or near empty? The weight of the gas keeps it pushed away from the inlet? Explain?

Just speculation but maybe the water column grows over time and a) can get sucked up and/or b) more water means more potential for it to become mixed in suspension via agitative action??? Guess it depends on how low the pump inlet is, right? Dunno...

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted by Brian553

Quarter-tank man here as well.
Had to replace a fuel pump I couldn't get to without dropping the exhaust and gas tank.

Cutting hole in the floor or rear seat kick up is a real option.

had a "Genius" cousin, who(with the help of his drinkin' buddy) cut a hole in the bed of his truck to change the fuel pump...instead of just undoing the 4 BOLTS that held the bed to the frame...

Originally Posted by earlyre

Had to replace a fuel pump I couldn't get to without dropping the exhaust and gas tank.

had a "Genius" cousin, who(with the help of his drinkin' buddy) cut a hole in the bed of his truck to change the fuel pump...instead of just undoing the 4 BOLTS that held the bed to the frame...

Hahaha.. redneck ingenuity?🤔 (just be glad his "drinking buddy" didn't suggest using a cutting tool to get into that there tank!)

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

Just speculation but maybe the water column grows over time and a) can get sucked up and/or b) more water means more potential for it to become mixed in suspension via agitative action??? Guess it depends on how low the pump inlet is, right? Dunno...

A couple of people have said you can suck water if you let the tank run too low. My tiny brain doesn't get the difference from full or empty, the water is in there at the bottom. Looking to learn something new.

A couple of people have said you can suck water if you let the tank run too low. My tiny brain doesn't get the difference from full or empty, the water is in there at the bottom. Looking to learn something new.

Dunno..I have never let any car that I've owned get that low. I'm just wondering how the heck one would get that much water in there to begin with? I was once worried about phase separation but after research came to conclude that isn't a practical concern if you're driving your ride regularly. (I was worried about not driving enough in the winter months but I think I'm good. If anything I'm gonna use a Stabil product or use E0 in the winter, which I can get)

Last edited:

Hahaha.. redneck ingenuity?🤔 (just be glad his "drinking buddy" didn't suggest using a cutting tool to get into that there tank!)

[Linked Image]

Unsee! Unsee! That picture is now indelibly etched in my memory and will probably cause me nightmares in the future.

Originally Posted by Trav
Originally Posted by demarpaint
I run it to a quarter tank and gas up. Pretty simple actually.

+1 Same here.

Best description for me as well.

[Linked Image]

What's the speed rating on wheel barrow tires?

Originally Posted by A_Harman

[Linked Image]

Unsee! Unsee! That picture is now indelibly etched in my memory and will probably cause me nightmares in the future.[/quote]
...‚...‚...‚..glad I could help!

What's the speed rating on wheel barrow tires?

Somewhere between, not enough and are you kidding me?...‚

Last edited:
2002 jeep I add fuel when the low fuel light come's on. Don't want to sell it If i need to with a full tank. The 2010 Mountaineer never goes below 1/2 tank and garaged all winter (spoiled rotten). Jeep will probably out live the Mountaineer

I grew up in the country and unless you wanted to pay a third higher a gallon at a nearby store, you filled up when in town if you were around half a tank. Now that I live in a rural area again, I do this. When I lived in town for many years, I would let my tank get down to a quarter of a tank or so considering that there were gas stations all around.

I drive 110 miles round trip to work daily, 4 days a week plus my WFH day.

My daily driver - 2013 Altima - gets, on average, about 500 miles per tank with my daily commute, mostly due to the rush-hour portion. This means that after 4 days of commuting, I'm down around the 1/8 tank mark on my drive home. As a result, I'll usually stop at the local Sam's Club on my drive home and fill up. Basically works out to one fill-up per week.

AFAIK the pickup is fixed in its location. Running dry would just suck in whatever is floating on top of the gas, not bottom. Regardless. With E10 I think (just a guess) that running down as low as possible then filling up means that fresh low moisture gas is always being added; and any water in the fuel tank is going to be diluted, and in a bigger way than if one filled at quarter tank (let alone half). Not that I've had any issues in 25 years with needing dry gas, fuel systems seem very well sealed (right up until it starts throwing evap codes).

My daily driver gets over 100 miles a day, and as such I fill up every 4 or so days. I fill up when it is convenient for me to do so while minimizing the amount of time spent in or going to a filling station. Usually that is around 1/8th of a tank, but often it is after the light comes on. But if I have a long drive ahead of me, or maybe I know I have an extra 10 minutes to kill, I'll fill up. On my daily commute I'm never more than 20 miles from a gas station so I can run it near dry if I wanted to.

In winter I'll try to keep 'em a bit higher but honestly we just haven't had that problem of fuel stations being closed. If they are closed then I'm not sure if I should be out on the road anyhow--our natural disasters tend to be a shelter in place sort of thing.

My previous car went 255k doing this driving before the fuel pump went; say what you will but VW's of that vintage were known for it. My other cars seem to be just fine (famous last words!). IMO this whole "never run below 1/4 tank or the pump will overheat" may well date back to the early days when that was true. I don't think it's true now. Not only that but anyone who has done lots of long road trips in summer knows that the tank has got to be getting hot no matter what, and staying there for the duration (heat rising up from the road plus whatever is being generated by the recirculating fuel, since most systems use a return).

Reminds me of my old 79 Rigel 2dr coop. That thing would run out of gas with the gague showing exactly 1/4 tank left. I could judge it very close and one Satturday morning about 5AM my brother wakes me up when I was in a very sound sleep and dead to the world and he said "I need to bower your car to go to work, mine won't start, where are your keys." I mumbled where they were and went back to sleap. Sometime later I woke up and realized that I knew that car had enough gas to make it to the local gas station and not much more. My brother ran out of gas before he got to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back