Which synthetic has the highest ZDDP content nowadays?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Racing oils do not have the the proper additive pack for street cars.

The term "Racing" gets used rather loosely. With the exception of true dedicated racing oils like Driven XP series, the majority of "racing" oils contain a typical detergent and dispersant package, with >6.0 TBN, and just an extra amount of ZDDP and MoDTC. Mobil 1 Racing, Valvoline VR1, Red Line HP, Amsoil Dominator, HPL BAS, and LAT Racing oil are all examples of "racing" oils that contain a sufficient additive package for continued street use.

Yes same for the special Penrite and Nulon racing oils sold in Australia. It's racing due to its high ZDDP level, but still has decent TBN. I'm sure there are low TBN race oils in existence, I just haven't seen any myself in the wild.

The M1 Racing oils have 1850 ppm zinc, they said not recommended for street use, they explain why on a FAQ here
(M1 Racing oil PDF)

This is not recommended due to the higher levels of additive elements such as Zinc and Phosphorus contained in Mobil 1 Racing oils which can have an adverse effect on the exhaust emission control systems fitted to street cars

BTW interested BITOG thread here
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1961533/

Originally Posted by Red91
Why not just run Valvoline vr1? I know it's not synthetic, but if you're running regular Valvoline conventional with a zinc additive, vr1 already has the higher zinc you're looking for. Although I'm not an amsoil user, if you want a high zinc synthetic then amsoil z rod is available in 10/30. If you aren't stuck on a thirty grade, it's also available in 20/50 and you also have Mobil 1 15/50 as an option.

im missing somthing,why its not a full syn?
full syn supposed to be better or only for long oci's?

Here is a well researched post from the C3 Corvette forum.
Flat Tappet Oils

Thanks for the this link Jeff

Originally Posted by Nicasio

Here is a well researched post from the C3 Corvette forum.
Flat Tappet Oils

Thanks for the this link Jeff

I've been a member of the C3 forum for many years.
While there are some Bozos (like me) there are some world class mechanics for cars of that era.
When they are gone, much of the requisite knowledge will be lost.

My Buick's 455 only has 460 miles on the clock since rebuild. No cats. Currently using Valvoline 10W30 conventional with a bottle of Lucas TB Zinc-Plus. I'll do another OC at 500 miles with the same stuff then again at 1500 miles. After that I'd like to go synthetic without having to buy the TB Zinc-Plus anymore. What syn would y'all recommend?

What's the cam specs and valve spring rate? Stock or stock replacement flat tappet cams are typically mild enough that additional ZDDP isn't necessary. How many miles do you plan on putting on this car per year?

Here are the motor specs. I'll be taking her cruising out on weekends.
-‘70 Block (.030 over so it's actually a 462)
-Holley Street Avenger Carb 770 CFM
-Edelbrock Performer 455 Intake
-‘71 Heads w/Larger Valves/Hardened Seats
-TA 290-94H Camshaft (.491"-226'/.502"-235',112')
-TA 1423-9.350 Push Rods 9.350x5/16"
-TA 1405 Hydraulic Lifters ‘70 and Up
-TA 1435 Stage 1 Performance Valve Springs
-TA 1434 Valve Keepers
-TA 1450 Chromoly Steel Retainers 11'3/8"
-HV Oil Pump
-6 Qt Oil Pan
-TA Stage 1 Shorty Headers 1-7/8"x3"

Have a look at Driven's new GP-1 oil in 10w-30. I think it would be a perfect fit for your engine at 3-4k miles or 1 year intervals.

This stuff looks pretty good. I see the HR-4 full syn case of 12 for $127.99 shipped on Amazon.

I read 1000 ppm minimum is the ZDDP level to go with for a stock flat tappet cam engine and 1200 ppm for the bigger cam engines. So I can probably get away cheaper with stuff from the local Walmart! Would it be ok to run a 5W-40 vs the 10W-30? Maybe M1 TDT?

Last edited:
I read 1000 ppm minimum is the ZDDP level to go with for a stock flat tappet cam engine and 1200 ppm for the bigger cam engines. So I can probably get away cheaper with stuff from the local Walmart! Would it be ok to run a 5W-40 vs the 10W-30? Maybe M1 TDT?

I have like 7 gallons of DELO XLE 10W30. Half of them 2014 date code and others 2015 date. I'd use that if your Autozone has them on clearance
smile.gif

VOA I saw of this oil while back shows very healthy add pack too

You know what, I'll keep my Walmart shopping for all our other cars. I doubt I'll even put anywhere near 3,000 miles in a year on the Buick. Unlike my Pontiac Vibe which gets an OC every 2 months lmao! After this break-in, I'll be doing annual OC intervals. The Joe Gibbs Driven Or Amsoil Z-Rod stuff is looking pretty good. The other question, could I go with an 0W or 5W instead of the recommended 10W-30? Do they even make high 1400 ppm ZDDP in those? I'd like to have the most protection possible for them weekly morning start ups.

I don't think there is a 5w30 that has higher zddp levels, in fact you will be lucky to find one that has the upper limits of zddp. From what I've seen a lot of 5w30's are lowering zddp. The only one I see (that is easy to get) is Valvoline Advanced.

Which prompts me to ask why don't they make a VR1 type oil in 5w30?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Duffyjr
I don't think there is a 5w30 that has higher zddp levels, in fact you will be lucky to find one that has the upper limits of zddp. From what I've seen a lot of 5w30's are lowering zddp. The only one I see (that is easy to get) is Valvoline Advanced.

Usually because the engines those oils are meant for aren't being driven in sub-zero temperatures so no need for VII. You can use a higher viscosity base oil with no VII for a 10w-30 that'll be a little more stout. There are plenty of 5w-30s out there with higher ZDDP levels, but you can't just grab them off the shelf at Walmart.

Usually because the engines those oils are meant for aren't being driven in sub-zero temperatures so no need for VII. You can use a higher viscosity base oil with no VII for a 10w-30 that'll be a little more stout. There are plenty of 5w-30s out there with higher ZDDP levels, but you can't just grab them off the shelf at Walmart.

Which brands are you talking about? I don't mind ordering online as long as the price is reasonable. I won't be driving the Buick much at all.

Which brands are you talking about? I don't mind ordering online as long as the price is reasonable. I won't be driving the Buick much at all.

Driven LS30 5w-30
https://www.drivenracingoil.com/ls30-5w-30-synthetic-street-performance-oil.html

Driven DI30 5w-30
https://www.drivenracingoil.com/di30-5w-30-synthetic-direct-injection-performance-motor-oil.html

Red Line 5w-30
https://www.redlineoil.com/5w30-motor-oil

HPL Synthetic 5w-30
https://www.hploil.com/product-page/5w30-synthetic-motor-oil-quart

Royal Purple HPS 5w-30
http://www.royalpurple.com/product/hps-high-performance-street-motor-oil/

LAT Synthetic 5w-30
https://latracingoils.com/product/lat-synthetic-racing-oils-3/

That's just what I have quick links to. I also have a 5w-30 here that's ~1000 ppm Zn and ~1900 ppm Mo.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

Your best chance would be with an oil that doesn't meet any recent API specs.

That perfectly describes Royal Purple from a few years ago.

RP was mercilessly bashed here for "not meeting the current spec" while in fact RP was producing at that time one of the most robust oils available. Ironically, RP later transitioned to the current spec, and now its sneered at because "its nothing special". Go figure.

I've been asking that question for years, but the first reply you got to it makes the most sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back