Pumpkin Beer

Status
Not open for further replies.
My local grocery store has presented the Fall & October beers including about a half dozen pumpkin brews. I decided to buy some Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin Ale- Yucko! I am a fan of pumpkin pie & beers like light IPA's (420) and lagers (Corona). Not this stuff, it has a wheaty sweat Blue Moon taste (I'm not a fan) and some spices added. Any suggestions to redeem my interest? I think the pumpkin (add pack) was ok, just not the base (beer). lol

Xf2frZa

I don't drink anymore however, I have tried several types of specialty beers similar to this and I quite liked them in small doses(1 or 2). I can't remember all of the brand here in NYS but, I did enjoy the Autumn style of seasonal beers that come out around the Fall. I also quite enjoyed BlueMoon and Sam Adams OctoberFest, Saranac Pumpkin Ale etc. Porter & Scotch Ale were my favorite.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Char Baby
I don't drink anymore however, I have tried several types of specialty beers similar to this and I quite liked them in small doses(1 or 2).

So...you do drink.
confused2.gif

Flavored beers aren't my thing.

Märzen is the true beer of the season, and the best craft version I have tried is NC's own Aviator Brewing's OktoberBeast.

Shipyard used to use real pumpkin for flavoring, a few years they switched to "Natural flavors" (Hate that term, so deceptive) and its been straight down hill. Same for most of the other fruit flavored beers, all artificial chemicals for flavors but thanks to the FDA they can get away with mislabelling and holding out information. My friend is a confectionary chemist, and the stuff they get away with is insane. Actually heading to Portland ME on Monday, cant wait!

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Pumpkin beer, pumpking spiced latte, pumpkin pie - I wouldn't be too upset if all these things didn't exist.

+1

Southern Tier Pumking when it's good it's fantastic year to year it has changes but near 9% it's awesome when it's right,

I've tried many pumpkin beers and found them lacking in flavor. Last year around Halloween we were doing the Sleepy Hallow Cemetery haunted ghost tour in NY state and while at dinner I tried a pumpkin beer called PUMKING Imperial Pumpkin Ale. It's brewed by Southern Tier Brewing Company, Lakewood NY. It is by far the BEST pumpkin beer I've ever had. Luckily I can get in northern NJ, though it sells out rapidly around here. The various liqueur stores tell me it's their most popular pumpkin beer. It's the only one that actually tastes like actual pumpkin pie in a glass.

Whimsey

Originally Posted by dave123
Southern Tier Pumking when it's good it's fantastic year to year it has changes but near 9% it's awesome when it's right,

Darn!!! you just beat me to it
lol.gif

Whimsey

Originally Posted by Audios
Shipyard used to use real pumpkin for flavoring, a few years they switched to "Natural flavors" (Hate that term, so deceptive) and its been straight down hill. Same for most of the other fruit flavored beers, all artificial chemicals for flavors but thanks to the FDA they can get away with mislabelling and holding out information. My friend is a confectionary chemist, and the stuff they get away with is insane. Actually heading to Portland ME on Monday, cant wait!

Thanks for this info, with this in mind, It tastes funny. Of course I have no real benchmark to make comparisons. I am ignorant
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Whimsey

Darn!!! you just beat me to it
lol.gif

Whimsey

This year is released seen it at my local beer monger will report on how it is. Last year was dissipating for me.

Originally Posted by Whimsey
I've tried many pumpkin beers and found them lacking in flavor. Last year around Halloween we were doing the Sleepy Hallow Cemetery haunted ghost tour in NY state and while at dinner I tried a pumpkin beer called PUMKING Imperial Pumpkin Ale. It's brewed by Southern Tier Brewing Company, Lakewood NY. It is by far the BEST pumpkin beer I've ever had. Luckily I can get in northern NJ, though it sells out rapidly around here. The various liqueur stores tell me it's their most popular pumpkin beer. It's the only one that actually tastes like actual pumpkin pie in a glass.

Whimsey

Ill look it up!

Now we're talking. I like the brand a lot esp their IPA and 2XIPA(8.3% alc I think?). Price is reasonable also. Southern Tier opened a few restaurant locations here in the CLE area that get good reviews. Years ago I tried a few pumpkin beers and didn't care for them at all. So kind of gave up on them. However willing to give the ST version a shot. Esp if I go to one of their restaurants and maybe ask for a sample.

Originally Posted by Audios
Originally Posted by toneydoc
Give me some Kentucky Bourbon
Forget the pumpkin stuff

Im with you on that one.

Well we could talk great Bourbon all day long if you like I'm well diverse but this thread was about great pumpkin beer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back