Castrol EDGE 5W30 is A5/B5 again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023

Screenshot_20190816-143833_Gallery.jpg

* Does anyone know what the Viscosity @ 100ºC, cSt is for the US version 5W30 Edge D1/Gen 2 SN+ ? ... I want to say it's 9.5 but I'm not sure it's the current version ?

Originally Posted by MrMoody
Do you think the oil has changed, or just the printing on the bottle?

I currently have this in my 02 Ranger with the 3.0 Vulcan and a fram ultra and I can't wait to send a sample in to black stone in a couple months. I think it will do well.

So is this a new formula or they added a spec they finally tested and met? Does this signify the oil is betterthan previously thought? In what way? I'm trying to learn more about the specs, hence the questions ... thanks !

Originally Posted by MrMoody
Do you think the oil has changed, or just the printing on the bottle?

It's hard to say. Castrol and Mobil have been ahead of the TGDI game for a long time with their Mg/ca add packs.

Castrol had been using an SN+ style add pack before SN+ was a spec.

I think it's been fantastic oil for a long time regardless of the A5/B5 on the back for a period of time.

Great to see a long list of approvals on the bottle though! Solidifies the quality of the product for us all.

Last edited:
It's kind of a Goldilocks oil as far as me and my vehicles are concerned. Our Volvo calls for an A5/B5 oil, and all our other cars can use a 5W-30, so I just run it in everything with the exception of our Mazda which is away at college and gets the EP version for once a year oil changes. The EP one does not have an A5/B5 rating.

From what I recall, the rating/certifcation went away (on regular Edge) during the tgdi reformulation because it hadn't yet passed some obscure part of the B5 certification regarding biodiesel or similar, but it's back now. When doing research on A5/B5 oils I was actually surprised at the large number of oils available with that certification. PP 5W-30 is A5/B5, as are several varietals of M1, even the annual protection.

Last edited:
Yes, I believe the B5 has been problematic for some. Valvoline at least at one point had wording that it was A5/B5 except for diesels calling for A5/B5, which is, of course, silliness, because you don't get to hive parts of a standard off at will and claim the standard at the same time.

Originally Posted by Garak
Yes, I believe the B5 has been problematic for some. Valvoline at least at one point had wording that it was A5/B5 except for diesels calling for A5/B5, which is, of course, silliness, because you don't get to hive parts of a standard off at will and claim the standard at the same time.

in what application the b5 is problematic?
tnx

I don't think it was problematic in any specific application. Valvoline just claimed that they were A5/B5 except for diesels, which is nonsense. When other oil companies had trouble with the biodiesel portion of A5/B5 (i.e. Castrol and probably Mobil) they simply yanked the spec until they got everything in order, which is the proper way to do things.

*Thanks ... Of the newer SN+ D1/Gen2 synthetic 5W30's this looks to be a good oil (as well as the Valvoline Advanced 5W30 SN+ D1/Gen 2 synthetic oil )..
Originally Posted by donnyj08
Originally Posted by ChrisD46
* Does anyone know what the Viscosity @ 100ºC, cSt is for the US version 5W30 Edge D1/Gen 2 SN+ ? ... I want to say it's 9.5 but I'm not sure it's the current version ?

Edge 5w30 SN+ VOA Here @ BITOG

10.3cst @ 100*C

This is interesting as girlfriend spotted this at the Wal Mart and sent me the pic she saw of EDGE 5W30
wink.gif

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back