Electrolux - Dryer reliability warning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So just a quick warning and venting session.

Have always had good luck with Frigidaire appliances (parent company of Electrolux) so January 2018 bought a then top of the line Electrolux front load washer and dryer set. 10 months in dryer started roaring, under warranty Electrolux sent a tech who ended up replacing all the belt drive components (pulleys, belt and some bearings) and it was back to quiet. Well now 10 months later dryer is getting noisy again just like what happened previously. I am absolutely peeved my ~$800 dryer is a pile of crap - bet if I had bought a $300 Hotpoint dryer it would probably still be plugging along no prob.

Unfortunately my laundry room was not designed right so the openings where the washer and dryer fit do not meet the required clearance specs for the Korean and other American front loaders. Most if not all require 1/2" of clearance on each side, Bosch and Electrolux were the only that I found that did not require any clearance - all the others would have probably fit but did not abide by the required clearance, and I was not about to start ripping out baseboards and quarter round to squeeze a Samsung or LG in if it was too wide at the bottom.

One of a two wallet busting lessons of my first house purchase - who would ever think to measure a laundry room nook to make sure you can buy any machine on the market?

Venting session done.

FWIW even my $400 Kentucky made GE washer from 2012 eventually needed a very extensive repair (around 4-5 years into light service). The seal from the primary drive shaft wasn't properly done at the factory, so over time water seeped into the bearings and eventually it started screaming during the spin cycle. I had to take the entire thing apart, but it was nice that it was all user serviceable. ($160 for a new drive shaft, plus about $30 in misc parts like new bushings)

Frankly I think buying anything manufactured nowadays is a crapshoot, regardless of origins/quality/reputation. Everything is 'engineered to a price point' where components are picked based on average ownership time. Nothing is really 'over built' any more because that eats into the bottom line and the average consumer has a short memory when it comes to being bitten by repair bills.

You don't think the zero clearance installation might be causing the problem? Over heating? Maybe they require a bit of space, allowing vibrations that lessen shock to the components. Just guessing here.

If they can make a washer, they should be able to make a dryer. It has got to be simpler.

Reliability information is key. Consumer Reports and other have that kind of info.

And the repair bills are steep with all the features they have.

One of a two wallet busting lessons of my first house purchase - who would ever think to measure a laundry room nook to make sure you can buy any machine on the market?

Answer: My Brother. He bought a Frig that was too tall and asked me to remove some trim underneath the 'upper' cabinets.

OP, congrats on your first home purchase / Not every dollar spent will be a Home Run / So, look at the big picture (but, I'd be upset also)

Originally Posted by pezzy669
Stop whining and yank the trim. Why is there trim there, anyway?

We had a beautiful Whirlpool dishwasher that was sold with our home. It was extremely quiet and it spoiled us. Our present dish washer in our home here sounds like a Saturn V after ignition sequence start. It also uses a lot more water, and doesn't clean as well. And the baskets are starting to rust inside from the previous owners leaving it closed up all the time.

So I went to Lowe's and ordered another one like we had..... Only in white. It will be delivered and installed after Labor Day. I already replaced the lousy, worn out washing machine they left us, with a new Whirlpool. And this morning the plumber came to replace the RO system with a new one. I couldn't get a pot of coffee out of the thing, and the water had an odor.

Yesterday I cleaned the coils, and replaced all the water lines and the built in water filter on our fridge, with a new 5 year in line filter and braided Stainless Steel lines. So hopefully after the new dishwasher comes, we'll be all set with appliances.

Buy Speed Queen made in Ripon Wisconsin.

30 years from now when it is still fine like ours, you can thank me.

Originally Posted by user52165

Built to last. Excellent products, but very pricey.
You used to be able to buy run-of-the-mill competitively priced Whirlpool appliances that would last 30+ years, not any longer.

I have a Kitchen Aid 20 year old dryer. Gets run probably 10-12 times a week. Only problem was a temperature high limit sensor. Put it in myself and cost about $25.00 I plan on rebuilding this dryer if necessary. A new one will probably collapse into a pile of junk after 5 years.

Originally Posted by derweed
The new Speed Queens get terrible reviews. I was all set to buy recently until I read the reviews on the latest models.

Reviewed by who/what ?

Originally Posted by wag123
Originally Posted by user52165

Built to last. Excellent products, but very pricey.
You used to be able to buy run-of-the-mill competitively priced Whirlpool appliances that would last 30+ years, not any longer.

Originally Posted by derweed
The new Speed Queens get terrible reviews. I was all set to buy recently until I read the reviews on the latest models.
No more...direct or gear drive (I think it is direct drive) on 2018+ models, they finally cashed in on their reputation. Those reviews are most likely brigaded by COO nerds/nostalgics, I would take them with a chunk of road salt.

I got the cheapest top loader and electric dryer from hh gregg as housewarming gifts
I specifically asked for the cheapest models.. but requirement: washer with a center agitator

IIRC they were around $500 for the pair.. still chugging along fine 5.5 years in.. no repairs.
My washer might not be the fanciest but I dont really need to save water in Northeast Ohio anyway.
unlike my inlaws who are now on their 3rd front loader washer in 6 years.

They also got a 2000$ samsung fridge that kicked the bucket lasted 2 years and 4 repair calls..
the repair place said they were out of zone and wouldnt come out after that.. only one about 30 miles away for samsung.

My fridge is a 500-600$ model HAS A MECHANICAL DEFROST TIMER.. and been flawless since they repaired the missing bottom pan(came with house new missing pieces)

Whirlpool front loader cost me about 800 dollars in 2004. Still slaying it! I have 3 kids and we do a lot of laundry.

Originally Posted by BISCUT
Whirlpool front loader cost me about 800 dollars in 2004. Still slaying it! I have 3 kids and we do a lot of laundry.

That's a good run - our Maytag MCT is only 5 years old - but since my wife/daughter are dog breeders - it's 35 years old in dog years
wink.gif

(runs a couple big loads every day) ...

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by pezzy669
Stop whining and yank the trim. Why is there trim there, anyway?

The OP needs a sawzall.

The FL SpeedQueen is where it is at.

The TL SpeedQueen, yes I got a '08 and everything has to be washed on delicate cycle, or the threads pile. The TL's with transmission were too hard on clothing....

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by BISCUT

That's a good run - our Maytag MCT is only 5 years old - but since my wife/daughter are dog breeders - it's 35 years old in dog years
wink.gif

(runs a couple big loads every day) ...

I am judicious about cleaning the screen and vacuuming the exterior port. Dog hair! No real evidence but I believe a gad dryer should have a longer run than most electric .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back