Cloning a Lexus key

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an '04 Lexus ES 330 which came with only one key, an aftermarket one in fact, no key codes. Local key maker said rather brusquely when I asked if they could clone an eBay key "we don't just do any key you throw at us" ($85 to cut n' clone if they were to ever be in the mood to do it, no guarantee of it working; otherwise $185 for them to do it with their own super duper key, plug and play). So that's not happening.

I brought my key over to Walmart to see if their cloner would read my key and it did (I already knew that they don't carry Lexus blanks).
Question: EBay has keys that they cut (from a photo) and chip of course for $22. Since I know the
Walmart reader accepts my key, how certain is it that it will write successfully to the eBay key? I know the guy, he said he'd try it.
If this scheme works it would save a ton of money. The Walmart cloner (Hillman EX Clone Plus), according to the website says, it works for 97% of cars on the road, but I wonder if it's dumbed down to Walmart's specifications.

Not all the blank transponder keys you buy are cloneable or compatible with all cloners. At least you'd have a spare key that will turn the locks if something happens to the original.

another (dis) advantage of security keys. My key (04 highlander) cost $1.50/
Never had a car stolen.
These trick keys are the prefect example of automakers desire to add cost to a car but not value.
used your sunroof lately?

Wouldn't have anything to do with Walmart! Those key are made in China with their chips and would not trust the communist chinese government with not harvesting the info stored therein.

Originally Posted by Pelican
Wouldn't have anything to do with Walmart! Those key are made in China with their chips and would not trust the communist chinese government with not harvesting the info stored therein.

What???????????? I'm wrapping my keys in aluminum foil as soon as I get home!

I agree these keys are getting too expensive. I had a ring of 3 keys that I lost a while back. A ford key, a corvette key, and a Honda key. I figured to replace them it would cost about $650.00. Luckily I found them about a week later. They had fallen off my tool chest and landed in a spot that was very difficult to see. After that happened I keep them all on separate key rings. I have auto start fobs for the Honda but take them off the rings for the summertime when I don't use them.

My brother lost his mercedes key a few years ago. If I recall correctly, approx $500 from the dealer for 1 key!!!

Try Ace Hardware. Mine had those type of keys and made one for me for somewhere around $79.00 Worked great.

I should know the answer to this but I do not. In roughly 2 years I never had anyone bring in their own key to write. Walmart specs have nothing to do with it, all the machines are made by Hillman.

I just went through this with my new-to-me 2010 Camry, a new key cost $185 from the locksmith, from the dealer it would have been $213. Precious little savings there. No discounts for doing another, so I didn't do another. I did check out Walmart but my 2010 was not listed, a few years too new.

A week ago I just replaced the "original" Toyota key battery, fortunately it didn't forget its programming, and it fixed the problem of sometimes not working at all. I put original in quotes because I don't know the history of the key, I got it from the used car dealer along with a valet key, but I needed another remote key.

If faced with doing it again, I might go with buying a key programmer for $200 and $35 for a pair of programmable clone keys, both available on Amazon. If it works I'm way ahead. If not it all goes back for a refund.

I'd go to the dealer. The Lexus FOB they sell is much tougher than the ones you get from other places. I didn't believe my Lexus parts mgr until 3 broken keys later. Now I just belly up and go to the dealer.

I'm sure you can find a great key and a better price but I gambled 3 times and lost. All my fake Lexus keys broke where the screw holds the case on down near the metal key.

You may call a few Lexus dealers. Some will cut and mail you a key with the VIN and proper ID. At least they did a few years ago.

I bought a couple keys for my Ford F-150 when I first bought it because it came with only 1 key which is common on a used vehicle. I had the Ford dealership cut a key and they were not able to program it with their machine. I had to buy their key and they also reprogrammed the keyless entry pad and this all cost about $150.00 or something close to that amount.

Originally Posted by dishdude
Originally Posted by Pelican

What???????????? I'm wrapping my keys in aluminum foil as soon as I get home!

Don't trust aluminum foil. Get yourself one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Far...aWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Originally Posted by FirstNissan
My brother lost his mercedes key a few years ago. If I recall correctly, approx $500 from the dealer for 1 key!!!

It's about $650. A huge ripoff, still makes my blood boil.

Get on craigslist and yelp.

There are tons of mobile key guys out there. For my Scion I bought a 20 dollar ebay key, and he cloned it in five minutes and cut it right there.

My sonata has a laser cut key, but the Toyota/Lexus should have a normally cut key.

I paid like $75, and included my own key.

I watched the guy clone the key, the device he uses is literally a ten dollar ebay type thing that plugs into the OBD2 port, and he runs a procedure which involves turning the key on and off to add another key. Its not rocket science really. I bet you could have it cut and buy the device yourself and come out ahead.

OEM. For keys that aren't an "edge" cut, the OEM nickel or steel keys are much easier on the lock cylinder wafers than an aftermarket brass key. Especially for European(Ford and GM are starting to use HUF/Hulsbeck locks and keys) and Lexus locks.

You can program a new key into a Toyota/Lexus with a door and lock switch dance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back