Microfiber Towels for different applications?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So autogeek has this MF comparison chart of all the MF towels they carry, each specifically recommended for a particular application: drying, wax sealant removal, interior detailing, etc.

https://www.autogeek.net/mfchart.html

So what makes an MF towel suitable for one application but not the other? If I want to use MF towels for wax/sealant removal duty, is there some characteristic that I should be looking at when buying MF towels?

I have wondered the same.
For me, I have just used old towels for getting wax off vehicles for years. Paper towels for windows. Never noticed any issues, but I am not OCD about it.

I have recently started using MF towels for getting wax off just to see if there was any difference. I do find a new MF towel does get wax off easier than an old towel, but don't see any difference.
But then again, I have only used some Amazon Basics MF towels and some MF towels I bought from WalMart (no idea on brand).

I also use MF towels to clean off the visor on my helmet and motorcycle windshield to reduce scratches.

It seems to be a ton of different types towels for different uses. But is it a marketing thing or does it really make a difference?

For me personally, I think more marketing, but there may be some truth for those that are really worried about it.
Same for thing for oil, some think we are crazy for being on a site like this, and I know there are a ton of auto detail sites out there as well.

It's marketing for the most part, trying to convince consumers that they need ten different types of microfiber.

I have a couple of real nice plush towels for buffing, a half a dozen medium plush for wax removal, interior etc and a couple of drying towels. One large and one smaller.

I also have a handful of cheap ones I use for dirty jobs.

Originally Posted by PimTac
It's marketing for the most part, trying to convince consumers that they need ten different types of microfiber.

I have a couple of real nice plush towels for buffing, a half a dozen medium plush for wax removal, interior etc and a couple of drying towels. One large and one smaller.

I also have a handful of cheap ones I use for dirty jobs.

I agree, it sounds more like marketing than anything else.

Don't forget the special laundry detergent they sell just for mf towels.
smile.gif

I buy my MF towels by the dozen at Sam's Club now.

I used to have the really plush ones, which do feel nice, but frankly are too 'soft' to effectively polish off the wax haze.

If everything that touches the paint, abrades the paint (even microscopically), then microfibers will make micro abrasions which the eye cannot perceive, while terry cloth towels will leave larger abrasions that the eye can see.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
smile.gif

Really? Wow.

I know you should wash MF towels separately, cold or warm water, no fabric softener, and liquid detergent is preferred, and drying ideally should be air dry, but a dryer on "fluff"/no heat could be used, but never new there was a specific detergent for them.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
So autogeek has this MF comparison chart of all the MF towels they carry, each specifically recommended for a particular application: drying, wax sealant removal, interior detailing, etc.

https://www.autogeek.net/mfchart.html

So what makes an MF towel suitable for one application but not the other? If I want to use MF towels for wax/sealant removal duty, is there some characteristic that I should be looking at when buying MF towels?

I prefer a plush but short-nap microfiber for wax removal.

Longer nap on one side and short on the other for QD products.

Long nap on both sides for waterless wash type products.

Basically, the dirtier the finish, the longer the nap.

And I only use the cheap thin microfibers for interior work or wiping down door jambs and under the hood, etc.

An excellent source for very nice quality towels and at reasonable prices is "The Rag Company": https://www.theragcompany.com/

The general rule of thumb is: if you're wiping up a runny liquid, such as water (you're drying your car) or some other substance, use a waffle weave towel because they're better at absorbing. Like this: https://bit.ly/2Y1yKYI

If you're trying to wipe off wax, sealant, etc., (i.e., NOT a runny liquid), use a border-less type towel that won't scratch, etc., like: https://bit.ly/326KF5V

Ed

A lot of it is exaggerated, but if you really want to see a difference, compare a generic microfiber towel to one designed specifically for buffing glass. They are very different, and the latter does a great job.

Been detailing vehicles for almost 20 years. You can tell a difference. All they do is make the job easier. A glass vs polishing vs drying Mf will all work but the amount of wiping& work to get a streak free shine. Sams Club or Costco MFs are a good all purpose for the average car owner. I also still like cotton terry cloths for wax removal and a MF for final buff. If you use a waterless wash then is the time to spend a little more $$ for a few good towels and only use them for that. For detergent use the no fragrance stuff or Woolite delicates. It's best to rotate them to the trash also. Start with newest ones for drying, then slightly used to interior service, then getting old to exterior plastic, then tires then trash. Don't keep them around forever. They lose effectiveness

Originally Posted by azjake
Costco sells 36 MF towels for around $16. I use them for detailing my car and am very pleased with them.

I've been using them too. We've been going through a lot of them these year doing high end wall covering installations believe it or not. They work very well.

Originally Posted by blupupher
Originally Posted by SatinSilver
smile.gif

Really? Wow.

I know you should wash MF towels separately, cold or warm water, no fabric softener, and liquid detergent is preferred, and drying ideally should be air dry, but a dryer on "fluff"/no heat could be used, but never new there was a specific detergent for them.

That's what I think as well. It's kind of like how far you want to go with the detailing thing. I remember one guy, a professional who would boil all his mf towels on the kitchen stove to get all the gunk out of them. I'm not after perfection on a daily driver, just keeping it clean and protected as much as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back