Confusion on oil to use on BMW 328i 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I have a 2010 BMW 328i. I've read up on what type of oil I'm supposed to use:

Castro Syntec European Formula SAE 0w-30
Mobil 1 SAE 0W-40
Penzoil Platnium European Formula ultra SAE 5W-30
Valvoline SynPower SAE 5W-30

I've narrowed it down to Mobil 1 SAE 0W-40 because it is the easiest to find in my area. However, I am a bit confused about the difference between Mobil 1 SAE 0W-40 vs. Mobil Advanced, and Mobil European Formula.

I am a total novice at this and would just like to find the correct oil for my car. It's starting to burn oil more quickly as well. Any help is greatly appreciated.

As I posted in your other thread, what is needed is an oil that has the approval required by your owner's manual. All that brand stuff and the grades you posted are irrelevant, what matters is the approval. In your reading, what does your owner's manual give for the required approval?

The above 4 oils I listed is what is recommended by BMW on a link I found for my car. It needs to be LL-01. However, the Mobil oils today is named Mobil Advanced, or Mobil European Formula. I'm just wondering if I find the same 0W-40 but under different Mobil name, it will be the same?

Originally Posted by goldenjava
The above 4 oils I listed is what is recommended by BMW on a link I found for my car. It needs to be LL-01. However, the Mobil oils today is named Mobil Advanced, or Mobil European Formula. I'm just wondering if I find the same 0W-40 but under different Mobil name, it will be the same?

Technically, none of the Mobil oils in the US carry the BMW LL-01 approval anymore.

So if you really want an LL-01 oil, you can scratch Mobil off your list.

No it isn't the same if it doesn't have the same approval. Names and so forth are irrelevant, what is printed on the container as an approval is what's important. And not one that is "recommended for".

Mobil 1 0W-40 no longer has Longlife-01 approval, and according to most on here Castrol 0W-40 no longer has the approval either (however all the Castrol 0W-40 in my local Walmart is still labeled with Longlife-01 approval, so your mileage may vary.) It does appear that it's getting harder to find a cheap Longlife-01 oil.

Having said that, both the Mobil 1 0W-40 and the Castrol 0W-40 have Porsche A40 and Mercedes-Benz 229.5 approvals which are very demanding approvals and are at least equivalent to Longlife-01. In a car that is out of warranty I would have no issues using either one based on those two approvals. They are inexpensive at Walmart as well.

Well, that's no good. Anyone know a equivalent I should use for this older car?

I'm using Castrol Edge 0W-40 in my 2002 530i. It's readily available at most Walmart stores in 5qt jugs, or you can get it on Amazon.com.

Technically, Castrol no longer carries the LL-01 spec either, although the jugs on store shelves still show it.

LL-01 is an outdated spec, so that's why not many oils still carry it. For an older car like yours, I wouldn't sweat it too much. Anything with ACEA A3/B4 approval or MB 229.5 approval will work just fine.

Can you post the link that shows where BMW recommended those oils for your car?

Thank you for this link. I just need to top off my car now and then will get the BMW oil for future change.

I also wonder if you all recommend High Mileage Oil for over 75,000 miles (of course it will need to meet the car requirements).

Last edited:
The first site you posted is a perfect illustration of why no one should ever believe everything they read on the Internet. That is a complete train wreck.

Pick Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 or Castrol Edge 0W-40 and keep it to 10k/1yr. Either are more than adequate.

Castrol Edge 5W-40 is still LL-01 approved if you're hung up on the specification.

Mann, Mahle, or Hengst filters.

Simple.

It looks like Mobil 1 has a new 5w-40 motor oil that they list for BMW LL-01.

It now comes up when you use the Mobil 1 oil selector for my 2003 330Ci.

Mobil Superâ„¢ Synthetic Euro
https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-super/mobil-super-synthetic-euro#5W-40

Specifications and approvals
Mobil Super Synthetic Euro 5W-40 meets or exceeds the requirements of:

BMW Longlife 01
MB-Approval 229.3
MB-Approval 229.5
Porsche A40
VW 502 00
VW 505 00
API SN

Last edited:
Originally Posted by shanneba
It looks like Mobil 1 has a new 5w-40 motor oil that they list for BMW LL-01.

It now comes up when you use the Mobil 1 oil selector for my 2003 330Ci.
Interesting find. Looks to be fairly new. Anyone selling it yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back