Sourcing Particular Brembo Rotors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning,

I'm trying to plan ahead a bit as I think I'll be needing to replace the pads/rotors in a year or so on the Giulia. Yes, there are some aftermarket options, but they are few. Brembo makes a nice coated rotor in the EU, but I'm not able to find a source here in the States. Part numbers are 09.C497.11 and 09.C498.21. If anyone has a lead, I'd be happy to hear it.

Pads I'll be going with Power Stop Evolution. Alternatively for the rotors, If I'm not able to get these here I'll probably end up going with Raybestos Street Performance (982276) up front and OE for the rear as there's no reasonable aftermarket option.

I'm considering TAROX F2000 all around, but I'm not too keen on spending $800+ on rotors. However, I do think that the slotted rotors should help keep the rotor surface cleaner for longer thus resulting in a longer change interval.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by RamFan
I do think that the slotted rotors should help keep the rotor surface cleaner for longer thus resulting in a longer change interval.

Say what?

Originally Posted by atikovi
I do think that the slotted rotors should help keep the rotor surface cleaner for longer thus resulting in a longer change interval.

Say what?

In theory slotted rotors can reduce glazing, keep pads cleaner and reduce material buildup on the rotor surface.

The brakes on these cars are quite aggressive and dig into the rotor pretty good, many board members (myself included) are noticing groves forming quite early on in brake life. My thought (which may be wrong) is that a slotted rotor may help prevent this early wear via the above mentioned attributes. A few members have made the switch but it's too early to tell if they're making a difference to rotor longevity.

Say what?

In theory slotted rotors can reduce glazing, keep pads cleaner and reduce material buildup on the rotor surface.

The brakes on these cars are quite aggressive and dig into the rotor pretty good, many board members (myself included) are noticing groves forming quite early on in brake life. My thought (which may be wrong) is that a slotted rotor may help prevent this early wear via the above mentioned attributes. A few members have made the switch but it's too early to tell if they're making a difference to rotor longevity.

Not too familiar with glazing issues, but every time you step on the brake you clean the rotor and pad surface. That's why the wheels are covered in dust so often. I assume you have the Brembo calipers on the Alfa? The rotors on my Volvo R are grooved too with those calipers but that's not a bad thing. It actually provides greater surface area for better braking performance. Never cared for the look of slotted rotors, gives a car the Peb Boys look to me. Would go with quality drilled versions instead, even if just for cosmetic reasons.

RamFan said:

Say what?

I assume you have the Brembo calipers on the Alfa? /quote]

Yup, Brembo calipers. That very well may be the reasoning for the groove formation. The guinea pigs on the Alfa forums will be able to test that out. While grooves are present, the brakes stop on a dime, don't have any vibrations and have minimal noise. Low speed stop and go traffic can result in a little chirping but nothing too bad.

Brembo coated rotors on eBay.de 110 Euros with VAT. Should save about 15% shipping to the USA no VAT. 43 Euros shipping more or less. Contact the seller for costs without VAT. I have had good luck using eBay.de most sellers are very honest.

Brembo coated rotors eBay Germany

What's the sense in having Brembo brakes if when needing parts they are replaced by non Brembo parts.
confused.gif

Originally Posted by Pelican
What's the sense in having Brembo brakes if when needing parts they are replaced by non Brembo parts.
confused.gif

OE Brembo brakes are slightly different beasts compared to their racing and BBK lines.

Dunno about Powerstop pads, Brembo doesn't make their own pads. They tend to source from TMD(Pagid, Textar), ITT(Galfer), Akebono or Federal-Mogul(Jurid) depending on the application, it seems like Brembo OE service pads for Porsche, Mercedes, Lexus(on the F versions of the IS/GS/RC) and Tesla are Pagid or Textar and Subaru STIs get Akebono. Ferrari and Lambo pads tend to be from Galfer.

Brembo's "aftermarket" pads for non-Brembo cars are made in China.

Did the Gulia come with slotted rotors from the factory? While there is an valid argument that slotted/drilled rotors do help with pad gassing when the binders in the friction vaporize in the course of braking and with cleaner pads you are also taking away surface area for efficient braking.

There's a reason why BBKs are called BBKs with their slots and holes.

Last edited:
I've tried slotted and drilled rotors from time to time, but I always go back to smooth. In my experience, slotted rotors cause faster pad wear. And I have had drilled rotors crack. I have also had smooth rotors crack, but I have to try a lot harder.

Good morning,

I'm trying to plan ahead a bit as I think I'll be needing to replace the pads/rotors in a year or so on the Giulia. Yes, there are some aftermarket options, but they are few. Brembo makes a nice coated rotor in the EU, but I'm not able to find a source here in the States. Part numbers are 09.C497.11 and 09.C498.21. If anyone has a lead, I'd be happy to hear it.

Pads I'll be going with Power Stop Evolution. Alternatively for the rotors, If I'm not able to get these here I'll probably end up going with Raybestos Street Performance (982276) up front and OE for the rear as there's no reasonable aftermarket option.

I'm considering TAROX F2000 all around, but I'm not too keen on spending $800+ on rotors. However, I do think that the slotted rotors should help keep the rotor surface cleaner for longer thus resulting in a longer change interval.

Check out Carbotech brake pads, these are US made pads that are awesome. I have the Bobcat 1521 pad on my GTO and they are bar none the best pad I have ever used for the street. Carbotech offers everything from a street compound all the way to a race only compound. The cool thing is that if they don't make a pad for you, you can send your old backing plate and they will make the pad in any compound you'd like. Stay away from cross drilled rotors unless they are high end rotors since they tend to crack, and out gassing on the street is a non issue.

Originally Posted by nthach
Originally Posted by Pelican
confused.gif

OE Brembo brakes are slightly different beasts compared to their racing and BBK lines.

Did the Gulia come with slotted rotors from the factory? While there is an valid argument that slotted/drilled rotors do help with pad gassing when the binders in the friction vaporize in the course of braking and with cleaner pads you are also taking away surface area for efficient braking.

No the Giulia does not come with slotted rotors.

Originally Posted by Gimpy1

Check out Carbotech brake pads, these are US made pads that are awesome.

I've heard of them before, I'll have to check them out!

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Does EBC make rotors for your car? They are mostly British-made
smile.gif

They do actually, one of the few after market options.

I can't recommend it from personal experience but I have seen a few racers cryo treat their rotors both for increased strength against breaking and also hardening the surface against accelerated wear due to heat and pressure. Just a thought. YMMV

I use this place for pads on my performance cars. Call them up and tell them your use patterns and they will recommend pad material and build your pads https://www.porterfield-brakes.com/

I found them very helpful. On one car I did not listen to their advice and what they predicted would happen did (Brakes are way to noisy)

I treat my rotors as wear items and don't buy crazy expensive ones. I like R1 concepts https://www.r1concepts.com I use the eline smooth ones

Originally Posted by BeerCan

I treat my rotors as wear items and don't buy crazy expensive ones. I like R1 concepts https://www.r1concepts.com I use the eline smooth ones

How long have you used them? Their prices seem too good to be true.

Originally Posted by BeerCan

How long have you used them? Their prices seem too good to be true.

Admittedly I have not been running them long enough to give a long term opinion. I have about 1k on a set on my 944 and they have been fine. I have a backup set for my 968 that I can take some pictures of if that helps. I am pretty sure they are made in china and then final machining in USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back